PDA

View Full Version : jet kit help

suzukisportrider2004
03-30-2007, 09:56 PM
i started my install today. so far i started on the wrong foot.... i cant get 2 of the screws out to remove the platic tops to get to the neddles. any tip? i bent up a screw driver trying to get it out.

reconstyle
03-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Did you strip the head of the screws? If so then I would suggest using some needle nose vise grips.

If the head isn't stripped, try and pick up a #2 Phillips screw driver, or screwdriver bit, that seems to fit in that head the best.

suzukisportrider2004
03-31-2007, 12:37 AM
the one heads toast. i tryed the vise grips too. not luck they are super tight i was able to get a flat screwdriver in one of them and i bend the screw driver tip into a s with out the screw moving....

suzukisportrider2004
03-31-2007, 09:59 AM
anyone?

philwecksr
03-31-2007, 10:14 AM
interesting

maybe some penetrating oil? firm (but not too hard) tap with a hammer to loosen stuff up? I've never had one freeze up that bad.... hmmmm

If the head of the screw is toast, try taking a dremel and cutting a notch in the head of the screw, then you'll be able to fit a flat head screwdriver in there no problem, maybe even with a better fit than before.

suzukisportrider2004
03-31-2007, 12:53 PM
tryed it... i really hate to drill it out

philwecksr
03-31-2007, 01:11 PM
penetrating oil too?

Spray some on there, let it sit a while, then try again.

Impact driver?

suzukisportrider2004
03-31-2007, 01:16 PM
my impact drive is to big... i dont know why they are so tight

suzukisportrider2004
04-01-2007, 12:51 PM
looks like i am going back to stock while i wait a week or more for screws....

hellcamp
04-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Dunno if this will work, never tried it before. Cold makes metals contract. Put the part in the fridge for a while and then try it. The screw and the metal around it may just contract enough to let it turn a little easier.
Disclaimer : Never tried it, it's just based on scientific principles of metals. Maybe worth a shot if all else fails.

Will something bad happen to the part if you put it in the fridge for a while ? Oh yeah, and wrap it and seal it good so that the fridge remains free from toxic stuff.

suzukisportrider2004
04-02-2007, 04:25 PM
not sure how well freezing it will work nor do i wish to wait that long....i am probbly going to end up dilling it out but intill i get screws i am back to stock

md86
04-03-2007, 04:06 AM
Got a Dremel ? I'd take the cutting wheel and dig at the screw head until it's gone . You SHOULD be able to grab what's left of the screw after the cap's off with the vicegrips . Safer than drilling , I think .
Personally , I'm SHOCKED the vicegrips didn't work for you . I got some pretty stubborn carb screws off with the grips and screwdriver recently .

Smoke-Dog
04-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Got a Dremel ? I'd take the cutting wheel and dig at the screw head until it's gone . You SHOULD be able to grab what's left of the screw after the cap's off with the vicegrips . Safer than drilling , I think .
Personally , I'm SHOCKED the vicegrips didn't work for you . I got some pretty stubborn carb screws off with the grips and screwdriver recently .

I agree, cut the head off and then you should be able to grab whats left with the vise grips once the top's off. Good Luck