PDA

View Full Version : The Mesh Mod Begins....

JaxKat
03-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Well, I finally got the fairings off. That push pin up under the headlight is one helluva beech. Fingers don't fit in there.
Anyways... My wife may just kill me. What do you think? :-D
This is all on our priceless antique dinning table. :shock: :roll:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Kat-15.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Kat-15b.jpg
Lets see how long this takes. I have to Trace it, Cut it, Form it, Paint it, Secure it, and re-attach the fairings. Should only take ...Months :lol: :lol: :wink: ...

chinto
03-29-2007, 05:35 PM
technically you are working on some towels and a tablecloth....

BlackburnD
03-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Careful there... I somehow magically glueed a damn towel to our table... The woman was not happy...

KatanaSoldier
03-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Smart laying them on towels. That gold will look nice.

JaxKat
04-01-2007, 02:19 AM
Thanks guys. I just finished painting the mesh down in the basement. Boy am I getting some fumes WooHoo. :willy: It's now 2:15 AM Sunday morning... SHEEES... :roll:
I just about tore up my thumb when the mesh slipped while cuting it. :shock: OUCH!!! Inch long gash pretty deep. Blood everywhere. :oops: Had to wash it off the farring. My wife bandaged me up and told me get done so she can have dinner sometime in the near future at the table again. :roll:
This is TOO FUN... :twisted:

KatanaSoldier
04-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Next time man up and cauterize the wound with a torch! :lol:

Seriously, looking forward to seeing that glossy gold. I have not seen that before.

BlackburnD
04-01-2007, 03:46 PM
I cut myself a few times doing that damn mesh mod.. If i ever do it again I will buy the precut stuff from ebay..
I supeglued my big cut shut so I could continue working. used to do that all time when I was an auto mechanic.

katman05
04-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Make sure you post some pics when it's all done.

JaxKat
04-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Here are some updates. Slow process when you don't have any spare time. UGH!
Here is before and after:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Mesh-1.jpg
Fitting the painted pieces:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Mesh-2.jpg
Attatched with Quick Steel Putty. Good for 500 deg F.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Mesh-1a.jpg
A finished Mesh
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Mesh-5.jpg

ty_gto
04-03-2007, 06:20 AM
Looks really good! How hard is the mesh to form to the shape you want?

JaxKat
04-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Looks really good! How hard is the mesh to form to the shape you want?

The mesh forms real easy :) ... Probably easier if you don't slice through your thumb on the first one though :shock: :evil: ...

JaxKat
04-03-2007, 04:51 PM
I cut myself a few times doing that damn mesh mod.. If i ever do it again I will buy the precut stuff from ebay...

Precut from Ebay? Are you kidding :roll: ... This is too simple :? ... The only hard part was making sure that all of the mesh lines were in sync on all three opennings. Oh, and the slight cuts during the first one :lol: . Wore work gloves for the rest with no problems. :wink:

JaxKat
04-03-2007, 04:55 PM
Next time man up and cauterize the wound with a torch! :lol:

Seriously, looking forward to seeing that glossy gold. I have not seen that before.

The Gold looks awesome against the Black. I can't wait to get the Metalic Gold Flames on now. But $$$ dictates that one at the moment.

KatanaSoldier
04-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Nice work!

JaxKat
04-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Damn... Its WINTER again :evil: ... The fairings are still on my diningroom table. Too damn cold out in the garage to assemble it :roll: . I have to wait til like next week when the weather breaks, to get the Kat put back together... UGHHHH! :evil: I hate springtime SNOW!!! :!: :!:

ty_gto
04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Can you post up some pics with the fairings facing up so I can atleast picture what it looks like on the bike? haha I just got my mesh and am hoping to do it soon. Can't wait to see it all done.

JaxKat
04-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Can you post up some pics with the fairings facing up so I can atleast picture what it looks like on the bike? haha I just got my mesh and am hoping to do it soon. Can't wait to see it all done.

How about something like this? :twisted:
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Kat-16.jpg

paradoxmd
04-05-2007, 06:24 PM

That's looking damn good!

katman05
04-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Wow, that gold looks fantastic. Very nice.

ty_gto
04-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the pics JaxKat! That fairings look amazing! Very nice job. Now hurry up and put them on the bike! haha

DoyleDee
04-05-2007, 10:08 PM
Nice work, you could name your kat "Black Gold". I had a friend that had that on his black and gold truck. I also have the mesh mod but went one step further and meshed the blinkers as well (although my mirrors have the blinkers in them) so ther're not really blinkers now at all. But I like it. :D

jstang209
04-06-2007, 12:13 AM
heres mines
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/9655/image00042ul6.jpg

JaxKat
04-06-2007, 02:27 PM
WOW... Thanks for all of the compliments guys. :-D That picture doesn't even do it justice. The mesh is as shiny gold as the windscreen in the first pic up top. 8) :twisted:
DoyleDee, She is all Pittsburgh "Black N Gold" thru and thru. :twisted: That was an interesting way that you meshed the turnsignal holes, :shock: but how does a cage driving next to you see when you signal a lane change? :roll: :wink: Looks neat.

DoyleDee
04-06-2007, 10:35 PM
As for now they don't know when I'm changing---but I'm working on some things right now to take that out of the equation. I have the phillip lockhart turn signal mirrors but I'm not too impressed with them, they only have 2 led's in each. I'm in the process of turning the stock signals into blinkers with possibly up to 20 led's in each, all of which are 5000mcd and yellow. (5000mcd is the super bright). and I have some small flushmounts to mount inside of the meshed signals for the sideview.

MarkGodfrey
04-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi .. I did the same thing .. layed out some old towels on the driveway ... used some paper to get the rough dimensions .. then I cut the mesh (with an old pair of bike gloves for the no cuts and slices) a little bigger all the way round .. mounted it with Liquid Nails.

JaxKat
04-07-2007, 07:08 PM
As for now they don't know when I'm changing---but I'm working on some things right now to take that out of the equation. I have the phillip lockhart turn signal mirrors but I'm not too impressed with them, they only have 2 led's in each. I'm in the process of turning the stock signals into blinkers with possibly up to 20 led's in each, all of which are 5000mcd and yellow. (5000mcd is the super bright). and I have some small flushmounts to mount inside of the meshed signals for the sideview.

WOW :shock: ... That sounds like they will be nice and bright for even the blind cagers. :twisted: GOOD... :-D Cause there are many of them out there. :roll:

GSXtreme
04-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Looks great man but put them on the bike! I can't agree with you about the Steelers though (booo) because I'm of course a Ravens fan. :-D

JaxKat
04-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Looks great man but put them on the bike! I can't agree with you about the Steelers though (booo) because I'm of course a Ravens fan. :-D

Well :roll: ... At least you are a Kat riding football fan :twisted: ... and that's cool with me. 8)

As for getting the fairings back on the bike :-D ...........

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Kat-17.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Kat-17b.jpg
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Kat-17c.jpg

How is this... FINALLY :-D ... I REALLY DO HATE THIS SPRINGTIME SNOW CRAP :evil: !!!!!

JaxKat
04-14-2007, 02:54 PM
One of the MANY :shock: problems that I ran into, was not remembering where each of the three pairs of small bolts went... Had two small bolts with rubber washers, two small bolts with steel washers, & two small bolts with no washers... Hmmmm... where do they go?

I put the rubber washered ones in the Third Eye panel :roll: ... The Steel washered bolts in the Windscreen rubber gromits that seem to just turn rather than tighten :roll: ... & The empty bolts up under the headlights in the Kat's chin :roll: . Speaking of the chin... is there an easier way to remove those dang push pins under the chin :evil: . Hurt the Heck out of my fingers. That's Tight as Heck. :!:

Oh yeah :roll: ... did I mention that I got it all put together :D ... Just after pushing those Pushpins to lock them in :) ... I saw the TURNSIGNAL WIRES HANGING there :? . UUUGGGHHH!!!! Had to remove the whole left side :evil: but was able to reach the left side while it was installed :-D . Thank God! 8) Can't wait for the next mod now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

low900rr
04-15-2007, 11:45 PM
looks good

Jabara57
04-16-2007, 01:39 AM
Careful there... I somehow magically glueed a damn towel to our table... The woman was not happy...

:lol:

Jabara57
04-16-2007, 01:42 AM
One more thing, where do you buy that quicksteel stuff from?

looks really great man, i like it

GSXtreme
04-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Home Depot or Lowes with have a bunch of those products. In my opinion 3M makes the best epoxies/glues etc. I used JB Weld for temp fixes and stuff like that back in the day but after trying the 3M stuff there's no going back.

JaxKat
04-16-2007, 06:22 PM
One more thing, where do you buy that quicksteel stuff from?

looks really great man, i like it

I got the Quick Steel from Advanced Auto. Works just like putty. Real easy. :-D

Jabara57
04-16-2007, 07:36 PM
I got the Quick Steel from Advanced Auto. Works just like putty. Real easy. :-D

Sweet, thanks for info guys, ill definetely have to buy some of that!

DoyleDee
04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
I just used silicone. Not caulk or tub tile sealer-100% silicone. Works great and holds perfect. It can be cut off too, so it doesn't have to be permanent.

87vert
04-16-2007, 08:45 PM
Damn... Its WINTER again :evil: ... The fairings are still on my diningroom table. Too damn cold out in the garage to assemble it :roll: . I have to wait til like next week when the weather breaks, to get the Kat put back together... UGHHHH! :evil: I hate springtime SNOW!!! :!: :!:

dont give me that crap. you have a garage get a space heater. I was out in the sub 30 degree temps working on mine in the rain.

Took the fairings off saturday when it was nice out. once I finished up installing the new oil cooler it started raining. did the mesh inside and let the glue set up over night. Waited for a break in the rain sunday to reinstall. Of course once I get them out there it starts raining. Oh well.

JaxKat
04-17-2007, 06:13 PM

dont give me that crap. you have a garage get a space heater. I was out in the sub 30 degree temps working on mine in the rain.

Took the fairings off saturday when it was nice out. once I finished up installing the new oil cooler it started raining. did the mesh inside and let the glue set up over night. Waited for a break in the rain sunday to reinstall. Of course once I get them out there it starts raining. Oh well.

Ok ok :lol: ... Would you accept that I didn't have any time to do it then? :roll:
I was working more than 40hrs Overtime that week :shock: ... But now its together and I wanna ride :twisted: ... Oh damn... it's snowing :evil: ... Can't wait for this weekend to get here with that M.I.A. SUN :-D :-D ...

jmanor010780
04-19-2007, 03:55 PM
The gold looks nice good job

StoneJrW
04-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Looks really great. Whats next?

JaxKat
04-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Looks really great. Whats next?

Probably a new pipe and metalic gold flames, look in my profile for the mods. :-D

chilipepper
05-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I picked up all the supplies for this mod today. Only $42.00CAD

JaxKat
05-18-2007, 05:53 PM
I picked up all the supplies for this mod today. Only $42.00CAD

Good luck... Could you tell me where these three bolt sets go???

One of the MANY problems that I ran into, was not remembering where each of the three pairs of the smallest bolts went... Had two small bolts with rubber washers, two small bolts with steel washers, & two small bolts with no washers... Hmmmm... where do they go?

I put the rubber washered ones in the Third Eye panel ... The Steel washered bolts in the Windscreen rubber gromits that seem to just turn rather than tighten ... & The empty bolts up under the headlights in the Kat's chin . Speaking of the chin... is there an easier way to remove those dang push pins under the chin . Hurt the Heck out of my fingers. That's Tight as Heck.

Oh yeah ... did I mention that I got it all put together ... Just after pushing those Pushpins to lock them in ... I saw both of the TURNSIGNAL WIRES HANGING there . UUUGGGHHH!!!! Had to remove the whole left side but was able to reach the right side while it was installed . Thank God! Can't wait for the next mod now.

87vert
05-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I just threw those pushpins away. they suck.

chilipepper
05-19-2007, 01:04 AM
JaxKat....Thanks for the heads up on the different bolts. That tells me I should map out and mark every bolt as I remove them. My bolt set will be identical as I also have an 06 750. I`ll post up once they`re off.

lmj001
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
i think you should do the air scoop looks great

tnez21
08-08-2008, 01:54 AM
will put this on my to do list

Windex921
03-25-2009, 01:34 PM
this will be my first DIY mod

HexKrak
03-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Finished product looks real sharp! Especially with that windscreen. Great job!

Truck Tech
03-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Hey guys new to katriders and trying to find some DIY mods. I really like the mesh mod. Looks great by the way. Where did you get the mesh from.

JaxKat
03-26-2009, 08:54 PM
Hey guys new to katriders and trying to find some DIY mods. I really like the mesh mod. Looks great by the way. Where did you get the mesh from.

It is Home Depot Gutter Mesh that came in the 2 strips you see in the pics at the begining of this thread. :bigthumb

Finished product looks real sharp! Especially with that windscreen. Great job!

Hey thanks alot. I think so too. :bigthumb

this will be my first DIY mod

This is a fun and inexpensive one to start with, and it ads the most visually to your Kat. :bigthumb

Truck Tech
03-26-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey man thanks alot . picked up my mesh 2day. and bike looks sharp. nice job

javsst360
04-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Great idea's all of you. i love the mesh mod. i just got my kat a few days ago and had to get it running. Now that its running great i'll be a band wagon jumper and do those mesh mods also. its killing me being at work. i need to be out playin!

06katanarider
04-11-2009, 09:04 PM
nice job...........

99gsxf600
04-12-2009, 12:58 AM
I am planning on doing this soon

JaxKat
04-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Hey man thanks alot . picked up my mesh 2day. and bike looks sharp. nice job

Thanks for the compliment... and Good luck... Remember GLOVES... :bigthumb

nice job...........

Thank you.

I am planning on doing this soon

Good Luck.

Great idea's all of you. i love the mesh mod. i just got my kat a few days ago and had to get it running. Now that its running great i'll be a band wagon jumper and do those mesh mods also. its killing me being at work. i need to be out playin!

Jumping on this Bandwaggon is OK... This mod is CHEAP and really good looking. :blazer

Kilter
04-15-2009, 01:56 AM
is there somewhere to get a bigger piece for the pre's, would like to do this on mine but don't like the idea of a seem in the large side opening.

JaxKat
04-15-2009, 09:22 PM
is there somewhere to get a bigger piece for the pre's, would like to do this on mine but don't like the idea of a seem in the large side opening.

Yes they do.
I have seen this mesh as big as 4'x8' sheets. :bigthumb
Good luck.

professa_riddler
04-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Jax, it appears that you are the subject matter expert for the mesh mod:bigthumb.

chrisx2
04-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Still need the fastener locations? I just took mine off and replaced to check plugs and air filter....so memory's fresh.

Also, for the push pins, I used a hobby flat screwdriver, small enough to get in between and pop the center pin out so you can grab it with your figers and pull out. If you're careful - no damage.

Great job by the way....

JaxKat
04-15-2009, 10:04 PM
Still need the fastener locations? I just took mine off and replaced to check plugs and air filter....so memory's fresh.

Also, for the push pins, I used a hobby flat screwdriver, small enough to get in between and pop the center pin out so you can grab it with your figers and pull out. If you're careful - no damage.

Great job by the way....

Thanks... and YES! Where do they all go ? :pray
ALSO...
I learned... The Push Pins come out real easy... Just push in the center of the pin and it will fall out real easy. :bigthumb No prying with a screwdriver like we both used.:smt012

Jax, it appears that you are the subject matter expert for the mesh mod:bigthumb.

Naaa... Not THE expert... I learned from many KR Members.
WildKat and some others were the most help for me. :bigthumb

chrisx2
04-15-2009, 11:57 PM
[quote=JaxKat;1694996]Thanks... and YES! Where do they all go ? :pray
ALSO...
I learned... The Push Pins come out real easy... Just push in the center of the pin and it will fall out real easy. :bigthumb No prying with a screwdriver like we both used.:smt012

Looking at the bike from the front, the 2 with the steel washers go at the top near the windscreen, they sit on top of the grommit holding the windscreen in place.

The two with the rubber washers are the next ones down on the center plate/marker light thingy panel...lol.

The last two go underneath the headlights, same center panel.

Thanks - have to try pushing it in next time.....

JaxKat
04-16-2009, 05:54 PM
[quote=JaxKat;1694996]Thanks... and YES! Where do they all go ? :pray
ALSO...

Looking at the bike from the front, the 2 with the steel washers go at the top near the windscreen, they sit on top of the grommit holding the windscreen in place.

The two with the rubber washers are the next ones down on the center plate/marker light thingy panel...lol.

The last two go underneath the headlights, same center panel.

Thanks - have to try pushing it in next time.....

This is what I did back then:

I put the rubber washered ones in the Third Eye panel...
The Steel washered bolts in the Windscreen rubber gromits that seem to just turn rather than tighten...
& The empty bolts up under the headlights in the Kat's chin. :bigthumb

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Kat-19d.jpg

Enjay386
04-16-2009, 08:54 PM
The gold looks awesome, looking back, I wish I had made mine a particular color rather than just keeping that chrome look.

Dfurgi
04-16-2009, 09:05 PM
why not cover the table in newspaper incase you glue anything to anything

JaxKat
04-16-2009, 10:35 PM
The gold looks awesome, looking back, I wish I had made mine a particular color rather than just keeping that chrome look.

Thanks a lot Enjay. :bigthumb
Gold really does look totally hot with Black... :blazer

why not cover the table in newspaper incase you glue anything to anything

I covered the table with towels, because I thought that they would be soft enough not to scratch the paint all up. I didn't use any kind of glue... :bigthumb So no worries about that.

Kapp555
04-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Thanks a lot Enjay. :bigthumb
Gold really does look totally hot with Black... :blazer

I covered the table with towels, because I thought that they would be soft enough not to scratch the paint all up. I didn't use any kind of glue... :bigthumb So no worries about that.

what did you do to your windscreen to get it that color? i am startign this mod this weekend..ps u need wheel tape

JaxKat
04-17-2009, 11:20 PM
what did you do to your windscreen to get it that color? i am startign this mod this weekend..ps u need wheel tape

The Windscreen is from Sportech - Gold Chrome... Cost about $80 @ kneedraggers.com. :bigthumb

Do I need Wheel Tape...??? Are you sure...???

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t84/JaxKat750/Kat-22b.jpg

JokerZwild
04-24-2009, 05:51 AM
Very nice work looks sweet meshed in like that!

JaxKat
04-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Very nice work looks sweet meshed in like that!

Thanks a lot for the compliment JokerZwild. :bigthumb
Where at in PA?

JokerZwild
04-25-2009, 10:06 AM
im out in Bristol Pa just east of philly

JokerZwild
04-30-2009, 12:36 AM
I dunno Enjay. I think you made the right choice for the colors of your bike. Looks nice what other color would you have chose?

ArmyKatt
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Damnnn that is just effing awesome!!!! cant wait to get back to the states so i can start modding again

Suzy750f
06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Always wanted to do this, but was so much easier having the pics to follow. Great stuff :bigthumb

JaxKat
06-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey thanks a lot Suzy750f (http://katriders.com/vb/member.php?u=10910).
Glad I could help you.

70sdiscotrike
06-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I'll definitely have to do this when I get my Kat.

slayer227
06-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Huh wow thats amazing stuff man... Thas another one i gotta add to the mod list :)

BrianT
06-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey - congrats on the Penguins. Oh, and sharp bike! :)

Crash
06-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Lookin good there, the gold mesh looks awesome

Ridin Dirty
06-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Looks awesome! Well done! :bigthumb

whitecl0ver
06-19-2009, 02:38 PM
WOW this thread is still getting posted in....:lol:

HOLY DEAD THREAD BATMAN!!!

Still a kewl cheap/ez mod though!

JaxKat
06-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Hey - congrats on the Penguins. Oh, and sharp bike! :)

Thanks a lot on both accounts. :bigthumb

Huh wow thats amazing stuff man... Thas another one i gotta add to the mod list :)

One of the cheapest most noticable mods you can do. :blazer

WOW this thread is still getting posted in....:lol:

HOLY DEAD THREAD BATMAN!!!

Still a kewl cheap/ez mod though!

It will never die [-(... "Pry it from my cold dead hands." hahaha.

mikedom86
06-29-2009, 12:42 PM
they sell mesh set in most automotive stores, they usually come in aluminum, black and chrome finishes. some stores also sell colored ones.

NBX33
07-02-2009, 10:44 PM
interesting this meash mode looks cool. Added to mod list.

ICEG
07-03-2009, 12:25 AM
i want to do it on my pre

ferrucci86
07-03-2009, 08:35 AM
where is the how to mesh mod instrutions on the site?

KatBlazer
07-03-2009, 09:16 AM
ArmyKatt, Hope you are coming home soon. I spent the year over there in '04 - '05 in Falluja and Baghdad so I know how it feels to want to ride and you can't. Stay safe, and remember grunts make great track grease!

katitoy
07-03-2009, 11:02 PM
aaaayyy!!!! Just finished installing my mesh screen. Installing the screen was easy but takes time.

I will post pics tomorrow. I used a mesh screen I bought from a hardware store. Also bought chrome paint and epoxy.

While waiting for the epoxy to harden, I changed my vacuum plugs including the one that goes to the petcock.

JaxKat
09-27-2009, 10:34 PM
where is the how to mesh mod instrutions on the site?

Basically, this whole thread are the instructions... I tried to answer any and all questions from everyone the whole way through, while figuring out some none injury inducing ways of completing the mesh mod. :bigthumb

aaaayyy!!!! Just finished installing my mesh screen. Installing the screen was easy but takes time.

I will post pics tomorrow. I used a mesh screen I bought from a hardware store. Also bought chrome paint and epoxy.

While waiting for the epoxy to harden, I changed my vacuum plugs including the one that goes to the petcock.

Good Job... :bigthumb

NitroGlycerin
12-07-2009, 02:31 AM
they sell mesh set in most automotive stores, they usually come in aluminum, black and chrome finishes. some stores also sell colored ones.

Just out of curiosity, if I get the chrome finish,if I paint it with metallic spray, will it come out shinier than just the regular alum finish?

JaxKat
12-07-2009, 10:17 PM
I just used High Temp Chrome Engine Spray Paint on really inexpensive gutter mesh.
I don't think painting chrome is good, its a waste of chrome. The chrome will need to be roughed up to make the paint adhere to it.

NitroGlycerin
12-08-2009, 12:38 AM
I just used High Temp Chrome Engine Spray Paint on really inexpensive gutter mesh.
I don't think painting chrome is good, its a waste of chrome. The chrome will need to be roughed up to make the paint adhere to it.

Oh, okieday then. I haven't painted anything regarding metal so I had no idea about the chrome needing to be roughed up. Thanks for that. I'll just get the regular gutter mesh and use red chrome paint. Thanks Jax.

JaxKat
12-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Oh, okieday then. I haven't painted anything regarding metal so I had no idea about the chrome needing to be roughed up. Thanks for that. I'll just get the regular gutter mesh and use red chrome paint. Thanks Jax.

No Problem Nitro. :bigthumb Remember to wear gloves... Mesh has Very sharp edges.

NitroGlycerin
12-08-2009, 10:27 PM
No Problem Nitro. :bigthumb Remember to wear gloves... Mesh has Very sharp edges.

HAHA Will do. Don't need any more slices in my hands lol

Danskat
07-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Just wanted to see two things:
One, if I post a link to a thread that links this thread, will there be a time/space paradox (sorry, just read a really neat book (fiction) about time travel and stuff). So test one...http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109477
SUCCESS!!!!

and q #2:
How's the paint holding up on the mesh. From air moving and all I was wondering if you've noticed any problems or had to repaint at all? I wanna do this for my pre and my dodge dakota (as much for protection on the dakota as looks).

And #3 (see the paradox is working already) just to revive another fine dead thread....and maybe suggest a sticky for this? it's an excellent how to! Nice work Jax!

JaxKat
07-08-2010, 08:57 PM
and q #2:
How's the paint holding up on the mesh. From air moving and all I was wondering if you've noticed any problems or had to repaint at all? I wanna do this for my pre and my dodge dakota (as much for protection on the dakota as looks).

And #3 (see the paradox is working already) just to revive another fine dead thread....and maybe suggest a sticky for this? it's an excellent how to! Nice work Jax!

The mesh is doing great. Still shines like chrome. No problems three years later. Lots of compliments... Thanks.

russian_dude
07-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Awesome job!... I'm about to install mesh myself...bought all the stuff that's needed few days ago, today found ur post, looked at the pics and realized that I bought exactly the same "ingredients", starting with the mesh and ending with the epoxy... :) Hopefully I'm not gonna cut my finger, though lol

JaxKat
07-15-2010, 01:12 AM
The toughest part was lining up all of the mesh pieces, so the lines were going the same angle. After that I outlined them in marker to trim. Made it work well.
Good Luck.

JaxKat
07-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Just felt like a BUMP >>>>>> :bump:

Nut-Nut
07-31-2011, 11:22 PM
Just felt like a BUMP >>>>>> :bump:
Good bump, had not seen this one...nice job...

JaxKat
07-31-2011, 11:38 PM
Why Thank you Nut-Nut.

Nut-Nut
07-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Only saw it because of your self inflicted BUMP...lol:bigthumb

Bloodsugar
09-28-2011, 09:56 PM
looks great so far...

JaxKat
09-29-2011, 12:24 AM
looks great so far...

Thanks alot. More to come soon... :bigthumb

Bigyellowkat
09-29-2011, 01:42 PM
so im thinking about doing this mod but i have a concern that i wont be able to simply access my idle screw if i do. Any comments?

05RedKat600
09-29-2011, 01:48 PM
The only time you should need to access your idle screw is after a valve adjustment and carb re-sync. That happens every 7500 miles or so, and your fairings will be off when it happens.

JaxKat
09-29-2011, 10:40 PM
I have had no problems, Like RedKat said, the fairings are off in most cases of idle adjustment. Though some have used a long thin screw driver that fits the mesh hole.

Snapp600
09-30-2011, 08:41 AM
that gold is sweet! did you use the same paint on the windsheild? there arent any legal concerns about tinting or painting them are there? i was thinking about doing mine when i finaly get mine running.. 8-[

JaxKat
09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
that gold is sweet! did you use the same paint on the windsheild? there arent any legal concerns about tinting or painting them are there? i was thinking about doing mine when i finaly get mine running.. 8-[

I bought the Sportech Gold Chrome Windscreen for about $80. It is a solid piece. I never looked through the screen anyway. Bonus is ALL other drivers see me now. Not one car has turned left infront of me since the change a few years ago. Before that Everyone did... Big change for safety. When sun hits it, its brighter than headlight on highbeam.

Snapp600
09-30-2011, 11:56 AM
I bought the Sportech Gold Chrome Windscreen for about $80. It is a solid piece. I never looked through the screen anyway. Bonus is ALL other drivers see me now. Not one car has turned left infront of me since the change a few years ago. Before that Everyone did... Big change for safety. When sun hits it, its brighter than headlight on highbeam.

you know i never thought of it for that reason.. even sweeter! I just may look into that myself.
I was considering vht night shades, i will look up to see if there are any red chrome now. :bigthumb

JaMay007
01-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Bumping this for personal reasons. I was simply going to bookmark but figured if I could use it so could others...it is a GREAT write up with some helpful comments throughout.

But first I must follow the Sticky advise of HardlyDangerous for plastic repair. Next I will pay special attention to Sweet Lou and Mojoe in order to repaint the fairings. Then I can come back and start with these instructions.

And if I can quit reading so many of you guys (and girls) stinkin' posts, I can quit adding to my list. NAHHH!!

JaxKat
02-01-2012, 12:08 AM
Bumping this for personal reasons. I was simply going to bookmark but figured if I could use it so could others...it is a GREAT write up with some helpful comments throughout.

But first I must follow the Sticky advise of HardlyDangerous for plastic repair. Next I will pay special attention to Sweet Lou and Mojoe in order to repaint the fairings. Then I can come back and start with these instructions.

And if I can quit reading so many of you guys (and girls) stinkin' posts, I can quit adding to my list. NAHHH!!

Hey Thanks a lot JaMay007. :bigthumb

djdaredevil
02-16-2012, 02:07 PM
I guess its my turn to give it a well needed :bump:

roe1880
02-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Hey folks as I know this is an old thread but its still active so my post is that I was starting my mesh mod upgrade and I found a nice Dupli-color Metalcast Red Adonized spray paint at Auto Zone and it has a 500 degree F... Is this sufficient for the mesh mod? I don't know what the temp on the engines are on the reg, norm, or extreme so before i fully finish this mod i want to make sure im good with this can... Thanks in advance to any and all responses...

djdaredevil
02-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey folks as I know this is an old thread but its still active so my post is that I was starting my mesh mod upgrade and I found a nice Dupli-color Metalcast Red Adonized spray paint at Auto Zone and it has a 500 degree F... Is this sufficient for the mesh mod? I don't know what the temp on the engines are on the reg, norm, or extreme so before i fully finish this mod i want to make sure im good with this can... Thanks in advance to any and all responses...

I am a new Katana owner but I cant think of any of my other bike motors getting that hot. I am pretty sure you would be doing damage to some things if it was that hot especially near the plastics.

roe1880
02-22-2012, 12:57 AM
Thank you DJ for the response... I really appreciate it.. It was holding me back a bit on my mesh mod...lol.. hope to get er done by this weekend for sure...

djdaredevil
02-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Thank you DJ for the response... I really appreciate it.. It was holding me back a bit on my mesh mod...lol.. hope to get er done by this weekend for sure...

No problem Im am going to be working on mine soon to I was just waiting for my new tail light to come in, so I can get more done with out having to take the plastics off again

JaxKat
02-22-2012, 05:21 PM

Just like DJ said, 500 F should work great... Have fun.

myintencity
05-08-2012, 04:23 AM
I know this post is super old, but does anyone know where I can purchase that mesh material?

jraggett
05-08-2012, 04:49 AM
ebay, or any local auto parts store. pep boys always has it.

djdaredevil
05-08-2012, 11:31 AM
You can get it lowes its gutter guard

JaxKat
05-08-2012, 12:10 PM
I bought the Gutter Guard at Home Depot, two strips for a few bucks.

crazycraven420
10-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Looks like the mesh you can get from home depot in the masonry section. Very easy to mold to your shape. I too will be doing this shortly I love the idea an the look! I will probably hot glue it though. Done it before on a lower part of a car bumper, worked great. Nice thread

Also, they do sell sheets of heavier duty mesh at some auto parts stores but its heavier duty an harder to work with for this application.
With this masonry mesh you can get 2 different looks from it. 1. You just cut it, paint it an install it and it will have a shimmer for different angles. 2. You can take a few extra mins an take a hammer (or something kinda heavy an wide) and flatten it out working it in one direction. That will give it a lil more noticeable surface area, you can do 2 small test pieces to see which look you like better. But be sure to install the pieces the same way or it will be noticeable.

Scot-04-750
02-17-2013, 07:10 PM
first bump of 2013 - I think I can get this done before the snow is gone... What color mesh should I use for a blue Kat?

rockat
02-17-2013, 08:43 PM
first bump of 2013 - I think I can get this done before the snow is gone... What color mesh should I use for a blue Kat?

Silver

crazycraven420
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Whatever color you like bud. Silver, yellow, white or whatever color you like. There's a crapload of spray paint colors and finishes available you just gotta pick what you like best.

JaxKat
02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Yes, what he said. Just make sure to get a High Heat Chrome paint 500 deg F or more.
You could be subdued and go blue on blue. Or contrast it more with white on blue. Its all how you like it. Good luck.

rottenpixies
06-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Bump for interest. Doing this mod as well as repairing scratches my side fairings, adding trex sliders, and then eventually topping it off with a new exhaust +dyno jet.

I've had my bike for 4 years and haven't done a single mod to it. Finally have some money with my new job this year so I'm about to go all out this year. I'm going to document it well with pics and stuff in my own thread, so hope everyone enjoys the transformation of my super stock blue and black '06 600.

Anyways... my question is... what did you use to cut the mesh with? I am definitely go to be careful and wear gloves but wondering what is the best practice for cutting it safely?

jouwen116
06-13-2013, 07:19 PM
I just used some tin snips and a pair of side cutters.

JaxKat
06-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Yes to the Tin Snips... In the second picture on the First Page. They look like big scissors laying on the mesh sheets.

rottenpixies
06-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks! Your mod and bike is awesome and inspiring!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

crazycraven420
06-14-2013, 08:45 AM
I used a grinder an cut off wheel. it cuts thru it like butter lol and imo your less likely to cut your hands while trimming

JaxKat
06-14-2013, 05:54 PM
Thanks! Your mod and bike is awesome and inspiring!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Why Thank You very much. I think so too.
Its funny how the cheapest mod (under $20) is the one that gets most of the notice. And it still gets it 7 years later.

rottenpixies
06-17-2013, 04:49 PM
One other thing. I am going to get my fairings painted (debating just plasti dipping them for now)... would it be unwise to do this mesh mod before I get the fairing painted?

Scot-04-750
06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
depends if you want your mesh to match or not - if you install it with silicone it's easy to remove and reinstall.

JaxKat
06-19-2013, 01:39 AM
One other thing. I am going to get my fairings painted (debating just plasti dipping them for now)... would it be unwise to do this mesh mod before I get the fairing painted?

I have seen some where they putty a bolt with the threads showing, and mount the mesh using a washer and nut. Easy on easy off. Saw that AFTER I was finished. But in 6the years never had to remove them for anything.

You should paint first then mesh after. Unless you want it all the same color.

crazycraven420
06-23-2013, 10:44 AM
yea I saw the same thread but cant remember who it was either lol was definitely a good idea an if I had to remove mine id reinstall em that way. Though in regards to painting I dont see why it couldn't be taped off as anything else would. It would just require more in prep time.

Medic1701
07-06-2013, 02:43 AM
I know this is a older post, but I must say, this really helped me out with the mesh mod. I was having problems using regular epoxy, then noticed you were using a putty. Of course that was $20 some dollars later, oh well. Thanks for this walk through!!

JaxKat
07-06-2013, 03:30 AM
I know this is a older post, but I must say, this really helped me out with the mesh mod. I was having problems using regular epoxy, then noticed you were using a putty. Of course that was $20 some dollars later, oh well. Thanks for this walk through!!

Not a problem. Glad I could help you, even 7 years later. :bigthumb

Ravelife
07-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Not a problem. Glad I could help you, even 7 years later. :bigthumb

Add me to the thanks list, also. Saw this mod a while back and just when I was considering what to fasten the mesh with I saw this bump.

Putty. Perfect.

Wisconsin_750
08-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Nice cheap mod. Going to do this ASAP!

JaxKat
12-03-2014, 01:45 PM
Just another Bump...:bump::bump::bump::bump: