PDA

View Full Version : Engine races like crazy...

Kila-Beave
03-11-2007, 11:21 AM
OK so I'm trying to get my bike out for the riding season. It just finally got warm enough here in Michigan to really start riding. I decided I'd adjust my valves and sync the carbs before I started riding this year (got 20k miles).

Had a few valves out of adj so it's a good thing that I did. The valves went well, and this morning I'm trying to do the carbs. (Stock airbox is on with a K&N drop in).

I pulled the vacuum line off of carb 4 and put a valve stem cover over it to block it and hooked up my aux gas tank.

It'll start after a few cranks with some choke on, but...

Then it revs to like 5 - 6k and if I back off the choke, it dies.
:shock:

I'm going to go try a few other things, but it seems to be a bigger issue than a small vacuum leak at the valve stem or the idle being outta adjustment :oops:

Special K
03-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Have you read my HOW TO on carbs yet? :shock:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Kila-Beave
03-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Yea I did about 4 x ...

I'm just an idiot. The throttle wasn't closing all the way :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the real quick reply though! :cheers:

Special K
03-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Check your throttle cable routing and make sure its not pinched ot tight.........she should move freely.

Check both ends of that cable for adjustment. On the early Kats its a one cable system w/ NO adjustment at the carbs, and dran little ever needed at the throttle end.

LUBE it too 8)

md86
03-12-2007, 05:04 AM
Um , you CAN adjust the cable at the carbs :thinking .....

Black_peter
03-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Um , you CAN adjust the cable at the carbs :thinking .....

Technically yes..

For future reference a leak at the petcock port will cause a stumble not high idle.