PDA

View Full Version : Muffler canister clamp

steves
03-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I have an idea for making the exhaust fit a little better. I've got a Pre98 with the exhaust from an '04 katana.

Currently, I've got some hanger brackets that I made out of some slotted steel from the hardware store.

I'm thinking... I could use a cannister clamp, like what comes with a slip on, to support the muffler instead of the crazy bracket.

So... anyone happen to have one laying around they might be willing to part with so I can try my idea?

KatanaSoldier
03-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I don't but I almost got a u-shaped clamp from autozone when I could not get the exhaust to not leak. Went with red rv sealant instead.

steves
03-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't but I almost got a u-shaped clamp from autozone when I could not get the exhaust to not leak. Went with red rv sealant instead.

Um, that's not what I meant. I'm looking for the piece they use to hang the can on a slip on exhaust. It's like a metal strap covered in rubber for dampening vibration.

KatanaSoldier
03-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Yea you can buy that there too. It is cut to fit. Comes in a roll.

md86
03-12-2007, 03:52 AM
Or email the maker of some slipon and get one through them . I know Yosh sells their parts like that . I've asked .

steves
03-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I will look at both options.

Thanks guys.

BarMatt80
03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
man if you posted this up just 2 days ago I would have mailed you out my old yoshi clamp.

steves
03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
man if you posted this up just 2 days ago I would have mailed you out my old yoshi clamp.

I did post it like... Friday. :lol:

BarMatt80
03-13-2007, 05:27 AM
well....i missed the thread and went home and had little to no internet usage. I'll call up the parents see if they haven't emptied the trash yet.

steves
03-13-2007, 11:10 AM
well....i missed the thread and went home and had little to no internet usage. I'll call up the parents see if they haven't emptied the trash yet.
:lol: thanks...

steves
05-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Asking again.... anyone have one of these laying around?

The "AutoZone" solution is the roll of strapping... but no rubber to isolate it. Parts Unlimited has a universal one they sell.. but it's $30!

I also emailed Yosh... and they want like $20 for one of their clamps. Can't be more than $5 worth of parts there...

md86
05-19-2007, 01:12 AM
Oh , thw whole clamp . I thought you just meant the rubber piece :dunno: . Yosh told me they had THOSE for $5 . But that's better than the heat tape from Ky Motors they want over $20 for :roll: .

steves
05-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Oh , thw whole clamp . I thought you just meant the rubber piece :dunno: . Yosh told me they had THOSE for $5 . But that's better than the heat tape from Ky Motors they want over $20 for :roll: .

Yosh wanted $20 for the whole deal, clamp and rubber bit.

DonShannon
05-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Jow about the aforementioned bulk strapping and some Plasti-Dip?
I love Plasti-Dip... I even entertained the momentarily crazy idea of painting my fairings with it :)

steves
05-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Jow about the aforementioned bulk strapping and some Plasti-Dip?
I love Plasti-Dip... I even entertained the momentarily crazy idea of painting my fairings with it :)

Where can I get it, and how well does it hold up to heat?

Black_peter
05-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Steves.. I'd love to help and wish I could.. (I bet I have what you need in my shed) Why not check the salvage yards? I would not recommend Plasti-dip.

steves
05-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Steves.. I'd love to help and wish I could.. (I bet I have what you need in my shed) Why not check the salvage yards? I would not recommend Plasti-dip.

I'm wondering if the $20 cost for the new one is worth the 50 mile round trip to the bike salvage yard... :lol:

Black_peter
05-19-2007, 11:40 AM

I'm wondering if the $20 cost for the new one is worth the 50 mile round trip to the bike salvage yard... :lol:

Depends on what the road is like!!
:bigthumb

steves
05-19-2007, 11:43 AM

Depends on what the road is like!!
:bigthumb

Well, I don't know if you've ever been to filthadelpia... but the scrap yard is down by the airport in an old mostly unpaved area....on the site of a former train yard. :lol: I may give them a call next week and run down to see what they've got.

DonShannon
05-19-2007, 03:52 PM

Why a no on the plasti-dip?

Does it melt at a certain temperature?
I've coated a few engine pieces before and they held up ok... wire looms, hose clamps and such, even a wiring harness ;p

Didn't think the cans got very hot

BarMatt80
05-19-2007, 05:38 PM
oh yeah the cans get HOT!

steves
05-20-2007, 04:08 PM

Why a no on the plasti-dip?

Does it melt at a certain temperature?
I've coated a few engine pieces before and they held up ok... wire looms, hose clamps and such, even a wiring harness ;p

Didn't think the cans got very hot

They can get at least as hot as the motor... which puts it in the 450-500* range on the kat. Although the site says it's acceptable for "heat protection."

DonShannon
05-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Wow, I had no idea. My Yoshi can never gets hot enough to burn my hand. Uncomfortably warm, but never as hot as the engine or oil lines. (lol or the headers... I know how hot those get unfortunately)

md86
05-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Huh , my friend's wife burned her leg pretty good on HIS Yosh can :thinking ..... And I know I would never grab hot pipes on ANY bike .

steves
05-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Anyone heard of Graves motorsports?

http://www.gravesport.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=EB__008O

DonShannon
05-21-2007, 11:48 PM
I checked my can after my 30 minute ride to work today and it wasn't hot enough to cause any pain.
It was about 80 degrees in highspeed stop and go traffic. (ie accellerate like a crazy person to 55-65, stop.. rinse repeat)

What kind of riding and how long before the exhaust can gets to dangerous temperatures?

Sorry for the thread hi-jack but it's for educational purposes. :)

How about 4 or 5 layers of high-temp shrink tubing? That should handle the heat and abrasion pretty well and absorb the vibrations well enough.

md86
05-22-2007, 01:18 AM

Yeah . More popular with the Yamahaha crowd .

87vert
05-22-2007, 08:02 AM

that looks just like the one that came with my scorpion.

I wonder if you can get just 1 from them.