PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Handlerbars

FASHER
03-07-2007, 01:39 PM
So, I've somehow managed to bend my left handlebar. :dunno: I've received my replacement (thanks Keith), and thought I'd try swapping them out within the next day or so.

I've looked at everything and it seems like I'm just gonna loosen up a few things and slide them over the on the new bar.take everything. If anything, looks like trying to keep the grip is going to be the most challenging part.

Anywho, have I underestimated anything? Are there any hidden traps, or any little tricks I need to know about befoe I tackle this?

ThAzKat
03-07-2007, 01:59 PM
http://rtcdesign.com/gsx600f_manual/GSX600F.pdf

steves
03-07-2007, 02:04 PM
the left side? I dunno it this will hold true on the kat, but on the Bandit I had to loosen up the clutch cable to get the lever & lever bracket off.

Of course, I guess on the kat, since the bar is two pieces... it's not as much of an issue.

Take off the bar end.

See if you can "twist" the grip. If you can, just continue to twist it off. If that doesn't work, try shooting some compressed air between the grip and the bar.

Careful when you open up the control pod. You don't want to break the peg, or loose any parts. Pay attention to how the choke works.

To install the grip, put a loose coating of dish soap on the bar and slide it on. Then let it dry. (Don't forget to put everything else back on first!).

It's not a bad job, you'll just need to take your time.

Special K
03-08-2007, 08:06 AM
On the left bar, I stick a small long screwdriver under teh grip, then shoot just a dab or two of WD-40 in there. Twist it around and off it comes - PRESTO!

You MUST wipe it all off THOROUGHLY though, before you re-install it, this time using some ruber cement. Let it sit for a few hours to let the rubber cement set up............

DonShannon
03-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I just replaced both of my bars also.
If you don't have a bench vise, remove the grip before you remove the bar.

I second steves on the dishsoap... once it dries it doesn't move. (Works as bead lock too :)

My control box didn't have a locating peg on it (didn't even see residue of one) So I sat on the bike and made sure the controls were exactly where I wanted them.

md86
03-09-2007, 03:17 AM
So yeah , the grips SHOULD be the hardest part (and not so hard at that :roll: ) so long as you don't break nothin . :lol: