PDA

View Full Version : Slip on installation

Daemontrym
03-05-2007, 08:48 AM
I have searched this and found people who have used mufflermender/high temp RTV and those who just used the clamp. I am confused I just purchased a D and D system from www.pipecity.com.

Thank you

steves
03-05-2007, 09:11 AM
I put a bead of Permatex Ultra Copper High Temp Silicone RTV around the two joints on my slip-on, and used the clamps provided with the system.

99% of the time, you might be okay without using a product like this. It's that other 1% of the time where you can't get a good seal, and need it.

For the $4 that a tube of this stuff costs, and the extra 5 minutes to put it on the pipes, I say do it.

KatanaSoldier
03-05-2007, 11:51 AM
I put a bead of Permatex Ultra Copper High Temp Silicone RTV around the two joints on my slip-on, and used the clamps provided with the system.

99% of the time, you might be okay without using a product like this. It's that other 1% of the time where you can't get a good seal, and need it.

For the $4 that a tube of this stuff costs, and the extra 5 minutes to put it on the pipes, I say do it. :iagree:

I used similar red RV high temp stuff from autozone and it worked great. I would suggest you use first it instead of finding out like me that after installing, it leaks! Of course this fixed the problem but I could have saved myself some time yb doing it from the beginning.

Teh_K
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
I didn't use any sealant when connecting the midpipe to the collector - it was hard enough just to shimmy it in anyways (plus, there was none there when I took the stock exhaust off), but I did use some exhaust/muffler paste when connecting the can to the midpipe.

Of course, I never tested for exhaust leaks afterwards... :lol: