X

About Gearing, Sprockets and Chain Pitch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Gearing, Sprockets and Chain Pitch

I bought a 50-teeth Vortex Racing Rear Sprocket with a 530 chain pitch.
    I know a lttile about gearing raitos and what not but my real question is whats the Real Difference between 520 and 530 and did i make a big mistake with not going with a 520.

Also, anyone recommend a good 530 chain???? Thanks!

My Dad is a RockStar
    Ask KatanaJim!!
    ----------------------

----------------------
    OS3 Pitrelli
    U.S. Coast Guard
    "Support our Troops"

The difference is just the width of the chain, the 530 is a little wider. I would stick with the 530 chain, and you should replace the front sprocket as well, I think the front 15 tooth one from vortex is only around 25 bucks. RK and DID are what I'm told are the good brands.

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Check that out if you haven't already, it's all you need to know about sprockets, and then some.

-Sean
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

With a Kat 600 (checked your ride profile!) you should be fine with a 520 chain, but as you just bought a wider sprocket, stay with 530.

520 chain has a little less parasitic loss of power.

530 chain will last longer, but that's more important with a torque monster like a kat 1100 or Bandit 1200. My personal opinion is a 530, properly cared for, will last years on a 600.
      "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
        Tand you should replace the front sprocket as well, I think the front 15 tooth one from vortex is only around 25 bucks.
        Or get one from a dealer for about $12 .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I just threw a 14 tooth on the front .. not a HUGE difference but when combined Dynojet and Yoshi Pipe and KN filter .. the bike is quite a bit zippier 8)
          2001 GSX750F
          1995 ZZR600

Comment

I've got a 520 chain and sprocket set. My gearing is 14/47 and the gear reduction was phenominal from stock. If you are going to use a 50 tooth rear sprocket than you will need a longer chain too.

P.S.
            NewKat did you get my P.M.? I'm to understand that the web server for kr has been acting up.

Damic

Comment

Working...
            X