X

Cost of chain/sprocket repair?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of chain/sprocket repair?

Any ideas on the cost of a chain/sprocket installation and purchase at the dealer? Not sure if I am up to doing it.
    Current: 1992 Katana 750
    Sold: 2001 Shadow 750

Well, I just bought a new chain and sprocket set, the chain cost me about 120, the sprockets, front and rear were about 70, and the labor rate at my dealer is about 80-90 I believe, I'd think it'd be about a 2 hour job. So that equals me doing it myself because my dealer sucks and I'd rather learn anyways.

I'm not sure how much the dealer would charge you for parts, I guess it would depend if you wanted all OEM parts or if you wanted to change sizes on the sprockets and what not.

-Sean
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Take off the plastics , and that may help . I believe it's more like a 1 hour job . ESPECIALLY if I had the tools THEY have access too .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Where did you get the parts? I think this will be a do it myself job. I have a 1992 750. I saw the chain/sprocket set on Dennis Kirk for about $169. Any better deals out there? and what size of sprockets/chain will I need. I saw on the board that some people use a 50 tooth rear sprocket. It is worth the change? I do almost all highway driving. Thanks for the help.

Comment

If you're driving Highway most off the time a 50 teeth sprocket won't be a benefit at all it will increase rpms and thus makes the bike using more fuel.

Comment

Know a good place to buy them?

Comment

I bought my sprockets directly from vortex, the chain I got on Ebay, it's an RK, the guys on here told me it was a good brand.
              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
              18v Rigid Drill
              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Working...
              X