high idle issue 00 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high idle issue 00 750

hi all.
    my poor kat has been under a cover in the garrage for 2 months now. i took her out and fired her up. the idol was normal. once i reved her up the idol wouldn't drop below 2500. so i pulled the needles out and cleaned them, and made sure the choke was off, put new gas, and took her for a short ride. no change. if i shut it off and restart it idols normal, but if i rev it past 1500 it jumps to 2500. before i put it away i did a valve adjust. i haven't synced the carbs yet. dunno if that would have such an effect. checked for vac leaks. so i think i need to either sync the carbs or check my valve clearences for being too tight. any ideas before i waste ogals of time?
    thank you

I would try the carb sync first.

If you actually made adjustments to the valve clearances, that would affect/change the sync of the carbs - even if they were sync'd before the valve adjustment.
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Lube the throttle cable and mechanism on the carb?

Comment

i checked the cables. and am gonna buy another sync tool. i had to leave my other one behing when i moved this summer due to the mercury. thanks for the input. i will keep u updated!

Comment

Did your check your choke cable? Is it sticking? Move the cable back and forth (not with the switch) and see if it makes a difference.
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

Here's what I'D try first .....
            Get you some Techron , drop some in ther , lower the idle adjuster ALL the way down , and go for a nice long ride . The theory .... you got some crap in your carbs , and dropping the idle all the way out ENSURES the cleaner gets to that circuit . If that don't work ..... well , time to dig a lil deeper .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I'm sure you did this, but I'm going to ask just to be sure. did you adjust the idle with the idle adjustment knob on the left side of the carbs?
              It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

choke cable pushed closed manualy on carbs,
                idle adjust screw adjusted.
                want to ride but bike feels a little to unstable for me (novis rider) .
                i purchased a new set of sticks to sync and i guess i'll try that.
                is it even possiable for a bad sync to do that?

Comment

Not normally.
                  This is a problem you get from only three things:
                  1. binding or too tight throttle cables. Easy to test -- remove the cables at the handlebar, then see if it still does it.
                  2. minor vacuum leak, such as a cracked vacuum nipple cover or a disconnected airbox drain hose. Spraying WD-40 around the area with the engine running should tell you (the idle will suddenly change if some of the WD40 makes it into a leak).
                  3. fuel-starved jet passages (because of fuel residues that remain behind when the fuel evaporates). The techron MD86 suggested will address that issue. Happens on every bike I buy (because the owners always haven't ridden it in eons), and techron always fixes it right up.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

new tool just arrived. will report with reasults

Comment

well, the sync wasn't off that much, i pulled the cover and the valves are spot on. sooooo i guess that leaves the carbs. took em off and cleaned them out. it got a little better. so i got techron like you guys said and went for a short ride. just about rite. prob 1 more ride and it should be cleared out. thanks.

Comment

So it sounds like it WAS the pilot circuit , then . And you got it under control now . Cool 8) .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Is the choke getting stuck? Try lubing them.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                          X