PDA

View Full Version : Rough idle, bogging down

reconstyle
02-19-2007, 10:11 PM
I recently put in Ivan's jet kit and I noticed that my bike now idles VERY rough and it tends to bog down mainly between 3-4000 rpms, and also when I rev the engine it pops. Any ideas? It's an 05 600

md86
02-20-2007, 02:46 AM
Either you need to synch (which you should do anyway after a jet kit install) , or you broke it . Seriously , if it's running poor , and it ain't the synch , YOU did something wrong . Gonna have to double-check your work :dunno: .

The CyberPoet
02-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Did you go the full four turns out on the pilot screws?

If so, odds are you overlooked something else that's causing a vacuum leak, like the airbox drain hose not being reconnected after you removed it to tinker with the carbs.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

reconstyle
02-21-2007, 12:24 AM
It's working well now, thanks for the help.

I think I got screwed by my local dealer, because there definitely wasn't an airbox drain hose connected to the bottom of the airbox, AND the air breather hoses between carbs 1-2 and 3-4 weren't there either. So they probably forgot to put those back on when I took it to them to get it jetted the first time.

I don't think all 3 of those hoses could just magically fall off.....

That's the last time that dealer will ever see me!

md86
02-21-2007, 12:51 AM
Well the air hoses on top of the carbs are USUALLY taken off when it's jetted anyway , so no harm there . But that airbox hose , yeah , that could do it . :lol:

The CyberPoet
02-21-2007, 01:06 AM
Well the air hoses on top of the carbs are USUALLY taken off when it's jetted anyway , so no harm there . But that airbox hose , yeah , that could do it . :lol:

??? You sure you're talking about the same float-bowl pressure-equalization hoses that he's talking about? They connect to a rail-tube that connects between all four float bowls and vents to two hoses, each of which normally run up and over the airbox.
None of the jet kits I've put in any of the 98+ Kats talk about obsoleting those hoses for any reason (or any hose for that matter).

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

md86
02-21-2007, 01:17 AM
But the hoses don't GO anywhere , they're just open . I've heard it's common to get rid of them . Hell , I think it was K that told me that's normal :scratch .....

The CyberPoet
02-21-2007, 01:24 AM
But the hoses don't GO anywhere , they're just open . I've heard it's common to get rid of them . Hell , I think it was K that told me that's normal :scratch .....

It's true that they don't go anywhere (they vent to the atmosphere), but the long hoses and the OEM routing help provide two benefits far as I can figure:
1. If the bike goes down, the fuel from the bowls pours into the hoses (and is usually trapped there unless the bike goes end-over-end), instead of pouring out at the one spot on the frame where sparks are likely to happen if the frame grinds against concrete (or against the hot engine); AND
2. It helps keep debris out of the float bowls (that's a lot of hose to make it through, given that the air in the hose normally only moves back-and-forth a bit).

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

md86
02-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Yeah , I agree with you there . But , at the same time , I doubt it'd cause the bike to RUN any differently .

reconstyle
02-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Yes, but in the unlikely event that I lay the bike down, I'd rather not turn into a huge fireball...

md86
02-21-2007, 11:53 PM
I've laid mine down ..... a FEW times :lol: . No fire yet :dunno: . Once was at about 60 , another time was about 30-40 , and a couple no-speeders (hard to balance a bike with a broken toe :thinking ...) . All the spilled gas seems to run into the cylinders .

reconstyle
02-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Well mines been down too, and the only thing I can remember was was seeing the orange turn signal plastic shattering, and sparks flying....not a good experience

md86
02-22-2007, 12:20 AM
Yeah , tossing a bike down the road is not the best way to spend a saturday :thinking .....