PDA

View Full Version : Oh my Gawd , what a difference! (pre 98 air box)

KatanaJim
02-19-2007, 12:15 AM
As you may or may not know, I have been poking around here trying to get answers on carb set ups with a yosh pipe. I was all set to start experiment with needles and mains, but one fact kept popping up. The pre 98 kat does not respond well to messing with the air induction. So, I removed my UNI oil saturated air filter and installed a stock filter (48$, not cheap!) The main difference that I could see, other than the material was that it had a more "choked down" , or smaller, air inlet. Now, I thought the Kat was running pretty good, but it had an off idle flat spot and would not pull above 7k. But just by replacing the air filter, the flat spot is gone and it pulls smoothly up beyond 9k! Its Like a new bike! I highly recomend this to anybody who is working on a project, like me.
Thanks again Katriders Forum!!!!!

BarMatt80
02-19-2007, 02:17 AM
great to find that you got it running better. what is your setup? full exhaust or just slip on? large mains? what brand?

KatanaJim
02-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Set up is: full yosh system, stock carbs with a washer on the needles to raise them slightly. stock jets, stock airbox/filter.

KatanaJim
02-20-2007, 09:42 AM
air/fuel 2.5 turns out...

The CyberPoet
02-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Glad to see you found the path to your salvation.

PS - I carry the OEM air filters for $32 plus shipping. Don't ever pay $48 again ;)

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

BarMatt80
02-20-2007, 06:04 PM
I didn't think that you could use the stock air filter with a full system exhaust.....but i guess so, might have to try it.

md86
02-21-2007, 01:23 AM
I didn't think that you could use the stock air filter with a full system exhaust.....but i guess so, might have to try it.
Yeah , you can . :lol: I got that setup now . Just not "perfect" yet . But thien , this engine is a "loaner" and will be swapped as soon as my 771 is rebuilt (almost there) ... :lol:

BarMatt80
02-21-2007, 05:37 AM
yeah i didn't think for some reason that you could because it would provide sufficient air flow. i'd consider if my airbox didn't have so many air leaks in it. but man it is so much easier to work on with the k&n pods. I hate putting on the air box

KatanaJim
02-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Cyber / MD86 - thank you for leading me down the path to salvation!

Cyber - I know I should have bought from you, but I just gotta have instant gratification ya know?

BarMatt80 - I hear ya about woking around that air box, but you cant argue with results!

Cheers!

The CyberPoet
02-21-2007, 08:06 PM
Cyber - I know I should have bought from you, but I just gotta have instant gratification ya know?!

Yeah, I understand. Most stuff people order from me takes two to three days to arrive ;)

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

md86
02-21-2007, 11:14 PM
yeah i didn't think for some reason that you could because it would provide sufficient air flow. i'd consider if my airbox didn't have so many air leaks in it. but man it is so much easier to work on with the k&n pods. I hate putting on the air box
Well , It's only a little harder with the airbox to tweak the carbs , but I manage :lol: . I had pods for like 3 years . I found it seems to do pretty well with the airbox . If there WAS a big difference , I never noticed :dunno: . But then , I ALWAYS seem to be changing SOMETHING .

BarMatt80
02-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Well , It's only a little harder with the airbox to tweak the carbs ......

ha ha ha this coming from the guy that can what change main jets in a gas station parking lot in under 10 minutes? :lol:

i road my bike wednesday, and it runs fine with the pods, unless it totally messes up I be keepin it. but good to know the stock airbox is always there as a fix.

md86
02-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Nah , main jet gas station change is more like a 20-30 minute operation even if I come prepared (clean container for drained gas from carbs) , otherwise it'll take a couple more minutes to empty the water bottle , cut it in half , and dry it . :lol: