PDA

View Full Version : how much valve noise is normal?

quattroa418t
02-16-2007, 10:23 AM
I just got a 92 katana 750 with 24k miles, and although the weather has sucked lately ive taken the bike for a few quick rides. I noticed some noise that seems out of the ordinary to me, but I'm not really sure about it since most of my mechanical experience is on cars. It seems like valve noise but I'm not positive that is definitely it. Anyway, my question is: Do all of these engines seem to make alot of valve noise or should I get this checked out?

The CyberPoet
02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Depends on what it sounds like, and when the last valve adjustment was done.

If at idle, it sounds like a singer sewwing machine, you need to replace the cam chain tensioner spring (easy to do), and do a valve adjustment.

If off idle, you're hearing clicking, tapping, then a valve adjustment would be wise.

Kats are a wee bit noisier (mechanically) than water-cooled bikes because there aren't water-jackets around the cylinders, but the only way to know what sounds right and what doesn't (as a new owner without access to someone in the know) is to do the valve adjustment and then get used to the sound of what it should sound like.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

Sasquatch
02-16-2007, 05:56 PM
hmm, I hear a bit of noise too, and my bike is a new 2006 600 (just over 2k miles now). I have had the complete service when I hit 600 miles, and did an oil change (w/filter) at 1000, and just did another oil change (w/filter) today.

Though its louder at idle (Easier to hear), I can still just make it out at lower RPM's.

I think I will take it in (I have no experience with valve adjustments), and have them look at it.

The CyberPoet
02-16-2007, 07:26 PM
I have had the complete service when I hit 600 mile...
I think I will take it in (I have no experience with valve adjustments), and have them look at it.

If they did the full service at 600 miles, it includes a valve adjustment. The 98+ cam-tensioner spring assembly is also designed differently, so it's less prone to failure (you bike isn't old enough that the cam tensioner spring assembly should be an issue either way).

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

Sasquatch
02-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks CP, maybe its just me, I hear noises in my car that no one notices either :)

DoyleDee
02-17-2007, 01:37 AM
I've got an 05 600 with 25 thousand plus miles and I hear noise....I do my own work on cars and my bike...I know their noisy engines so I just ride it......when the motor goes I'm that much closer to the Bandit 1200 motor, but hey thats just me...like I said I do my own work. I don't and will not trust mechanics to work on my vehicles. Sorry if there are any mechanics on the board- don't mean to be rude.

FloridaKat
02-17-2007, 08:46 AM
I've noticed some "extra" noise from the valve region when my bike is cold. It goes away after about 5 minutes of riding (or longer warm-up period). Incidently, the 30 second rule works like a champ.

I think it is a function of the oil getting to nominal operating temperature.

DreKat
02-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Take it from me, if you bought you bike used (like I did) and don't know when the valves were adjust , then get them adjusted ASAP. I broke an intakevalve 2 years ago and it tried to go out where the exoust valve is located. Made a huge mess, had to get new seats for the valve, a new valve and a piston because where the valve snapped is kept hitting the piston. $600 and 2 weeks of not riding I was finally back on the road.