Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New Scorpion exhaust looks great, But ......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Scorpion exhaust looks great, But ......

Having a problem with my 06 Kat. Installed a new Scorpion exhaust and the bike started right up and sounded great.

The next day when I tried to start it, No luck.

I have tried to prime it and I've tried heaters thinking it might be cold with no luck.

Any Ideas?

Bad gas maybe? Have you been running her regularly or just starting her up and shutting down?
    "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
    JOHN 16:33

Comment

What did you remove when you changed it? Just throwing a slip on on the bike shouldn't hinder it starting any. I am guessing maybe a kinked fuel line, or something...

Is the starter kicking over at all, and the bike is just not firing up?

If it is a full exhaust, maybe you are running lean.

Need more info, is it a header and all, or just a slip on exhaust system?
      Kan-O-Gixxer!
      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
      -Ohlins Susupension
      -Various Other Mods

Comment

How many times did you go out and start it up for a few seconds to hear that new pipe? You may have fouled the plugs.
        I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
          How many times did you go out and start it up for a few seconds to hear that new pipe? You may have fouled the plugs.
          Was thinking that too.
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan
            +1

With the can on, and known-good gas, I would expect in your weather to need quite a bit of choke to get her started (since the muffler can max the mixture leaner). Running excess choke, or running the choke without riding afterwards to get the spark plugs to burn-off temp will foul them right up.

Spark plugs work somewhat like a self-cleaning oven. Once they hit full operating temp (500 - 800 degrees C), they burn off fouling from their tips all by themselves -- as long as the fouling isn't happening faster than they can burn it off (which takes some seriously messed up fuel-air ratios). But until they hit that temp, they build fouling and can't do anything about it.

Either order a set of fresh plugs from me (I sell them cheaply), or get some locally, and slap them in there, and she should fire right up -- provided nothing else is bad (i.e. - battery is healthy, fuel is stabilized or fresh). But the same warning remains: if you fire up the bike, get it off choke quickly (within 30 seconds), use the throttle to keep her running until she'll run on her own, and don't shut her down until she hits full operating temp.

KNOW THIS:
            A simple kitchen thermostat (food probe) at the right front oil cooler hose connection will tell you if the bike has hit operating temp -- when the oil is 250 degrees, you can shut her down assured that the plugs are fully up to temp and the excess condensation in the oil has been boiled off as well, without worrying that you over-heated the bike.
            This is the one I use at home to cook with and it did double-duty on the bike at times to confirm the accuracy of various oil temp gauges while I was trying to decide which type to install/sell on my site:
            Pyrex-brand digital Kitchen Temp Probe & Timer ($20, bed-bath-and-beyond)

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Did you try putting the petcock on prime for about 30 seconds?
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

OK I figured it out with your help.

I removed the spark plugs and yes they were fowled.

She's running as good as ever now.

THANK YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by vpd808
                  OK I figured it out with your help.

I removed the spark plugs and yes they were fowled.

She's running as good as ever now.

THANK YOU.
                  Fantastic. Now, resist the urge start it unless you can let the bike come fully up to temp. I know it's hard, believe me...I've changed more that one set of plugs because I just had to hear the beast run!

My old TLR notorious for it. TLR-> <-me
                  I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

[quote=I removed the spark plugs and yes they were fowled.]

Those damn chickens!!!!

Comment

Back in the day...Ye ole dirtbikes were notorious for fouling plugs whenever they liked...I always cariied a spare until I found out about NGK plugs... Hehe sound like a commercial? I swear by these plugs awesome...
                      "So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young"

Comment

Working...
                      X