PDA

View Full Version : Chain and sprocket

reconstyle
02-11-2007, 03:03 AM
I just ordered new front and rear sprockets for my 05 600, I got vortex 15/51. From reading another post it looks like I would need 122 link chain. Is that right? What brand chains should I be looking for, and do I need any special tools to add or remove links from a chain?

bigbike-r
02-11-2007, 07:51 AM
DID in my opinion make the best chains and lookin at my chain you will need something to remove the pins and close the links up afterwards??

not 100% sure though so dont go rushing off out to buy new tools just yet

md86
02-12-2007, 12:18 AM
Don't try to "add" links . Just buy a longer chain and remove if need be . About "special" tools ..... a grinder is about it . I use a Dremel to grind the pin flush with the plate , and Motion Pro's chain breaker/riveter tool to pop the pin out , though you can do it with a nail and hammer :dunno: . But the tool is good to rivet the new master link on . But dunno how many links you'll need . USUALLY it seems +1 link for each extra tooth on the rear sprocket . And since chains only come in even #'ed links ....

The CyberPoet
02-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I just ordered new front and rear sprockets for my 05 600, I got vortex 15/51. From reading another post it looks like I would need 122 link chain. Is that right? What brand chains should I be looking for, and do I need any special tools to add or remove links from a chain?

I like RK 530XSO, 530HFO & 530GXW chains as my preference for the Kats. The XSO should be cheapest, followed by the HFO & the GXW (maintenance will be the primary determiner in lifespan between these chains on a 80HP bike).

Yes, you will need a 122 link chain for a 98+ using that tooth combo. And since you are swapping sprockets, you need to swap chains -- as MD said, do not try to go the cheap route and splice on added links. As it is, your chain is worn to the wear level of the sprockets -- put on new sprockets and an old chain, and the new sprockets will wear inordinately quickly to match the wear level of the chain.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

brooder
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM
I like RK 530XSO, 530HFO & 530GXW chains as my preference for the Kats. The XSO should be cheapest, followed by the HFO & the GXW (maintenance will be the primary determiner in lifespan between these chains on a 80HP bike).

Yes, you will need a 122 link chain for a 98+ using that tooth combo. And since you are swapping sprockets, you need to swap chains -- as MD said, do not try to go the cheap route and splice on added links. As it is, your chain is worn to the wear level of the sprockets -- put on new sprockets and an old chain, and the new sprockets will wear inordinately quickly to match the wear level of the chain.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

Is there a difference between the GB530XSO and the 530XSO chains? I'm wondering because I'm seeing them listed both ways at a couple of different sites.

reconstyle
02-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I think the GB means its gold...not 100% sure though

The CyberPoet
02-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I think the GB means its gold...not 100% sure though

You hit it on the nose. RK offers the 530 in stock metal and with a gold-colored (titanium colored?) outer plate. No difference in lifespan or engineering. They also offer (or used to offer?) a series with various colors of sideplates (blue, red, neons, etc.) in what I would guess is powdercoated surface application to the sideplates before assembly (made in their Siatama factory). I thought they looked pretty spiffy, but hated the idea because all the riders I knew who used them never oiled their chains properly (what, and mess up the bling?).

The important letters for RK line are:
SO - sealed O-ring. The basic chain your Kat came with stock.
XSO - sealed X-shaped o-ring. Good choice if you're running stock & smaller front sprockets, because the X-shaped seal won't generate as much heat and thus the seals last longer usually. This is what I tend to run, because the cost is worth the life-span difference in my mind.
HFO - think XSO with higher strength at the sideplates & thicker seals.
GXW - W-shaped o-ring seal, better for high-heat applications (think high-torque use), longer life. Not a good choice if you have lots of sand in the area & neglect your chain (gets trapped in the W's grooves), but top-of-the-line otherwise. Also traps more oil on the exterior surface of the seals, part of how it keeps it running cooler.
GSV - same as GXW but for rarely-used-sizes (532, 630) used on some high-output bikes.
Y and YW should be avoided for anything but pure-race applications (used where weight is more critical than lifespan).
http://www.rk-excel.co.jp/english/tech/ring_type.gif

Want the real low-down? Here's the raw technical data:
RK Chain Tech Data (GIF) (http://www.rk-excel.co.jp/english/tech/chain_spec_200406.gif)

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

EXHDsportster
04-10-2007, 12:45 PM
So what is the stock 98+ Katana 600 chain length ? Found out it is 118

I searched and found if you go up a tooth you need an extra link for every tooth added. So if I went to a 15-50 (+3) will the 120 link chain they sent me work ??

EXHDsportster
04-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Damn Sum Of All Parts sent me a 14 front and a 50 rear and a 120 chain !!! after waiting 3 weeks !!! 20 dollars shipping for what !!

That's gotta be WAY too much gear right ??

They tell me I gotta pay extra for a 130 chain now or go 14 front and 47 rear

I ordered a 15- 50 !!!
I either gotta wait for the 15 front and see if the 120 will work or make a decision to change to the 14 47 !!

ANY ADVICE ??? HELP

The CyberPoet
04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
A lot of vendors will offer you an RK O/RX/XW #530 chain in a 122; if not, then in a 124 link length. Telling you that you need to buy 130 links is utter BS.

Chains are always even link-counts (no way around it). 15/47 requires a 118 -- add three in the rear and you'll need a 122 link.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

ty_gto
04-10-2007, 06:20 PM
EXHDsportster, I just got a 15/51 tooth combo (Vortex) from reconstyle plus a 122 link chain. If you run the 14 tooth on the front, that is like going up 4 in the rear. That combo would get you a 13% change which is a pretty big increase. I have heard people saying that just two up in the rear is a very noticable diff. On the Vortex package it has the equation for figuring out how many links you need. Take the number of teeth you went up on the rear, divide by 2, then add 1. After you get that number add that number of links to the stock number of links. But like what was mentioned earlier, make sure to get a new chain if you are getting new sprockets. Hope that this helps.

koolcutta
04-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Are you sure you got a a 530 sprocket. When i was looking for my setup up all I could find for a katana was a 520 conversions sprocket from vortex. If yor rear sprocket says 528-51 its a 530 if it says 528A-51 its a 520. Just an heads up before you order a chain.

ty_gto
04-10-2007, 08:42 PM
It's a 528-51, no "A" koolcutta. Thanks for looking out for a fellow Kat rider though!

EXHDsportster
04-10-2007, 08:48 PM
This really ticks me off ! I had ordered it as a conversion to 520 listed in the ad was the 15-50 ratio , and I specified I wanted the 15 front and 50 rear. I recieved today a 14 front and the 50 rear plus a 120 link chain. This was the conversion that they must have decided to subtitute whatever ratio they wanted so they could use the 120 link chain. They claimed I would have to pay ten more dollars to get a 130 link chain because they did not have a 122 link chain. This is after they charged me twenty dollars in shipping for a six puund box and it took 3 weeks to get. Tomarrow we'll see if they respond to my request for customer service. I'll post the results.

ty_gto
04-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Wow thats some really bad customer service! Is there a benefit to changing from a 530 chain and sprockets to a 520?

koolcutta
04-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Wow thats some really bad customer service! Is there a benefit to changing from a 530 chain and sprockets to a 520?
520 is a thinner chain benefit is it weighs less meaning less power loss in drive train draw back is it is a weaker chain, suitable for a katana casue there not torque monsters like a SV1000 but the chain will strecth faster than an identical chain in 530. so basicallly usable power vs durability.

koolcutta
04-10-2007, 09:56 PM
This really ticks me off ! I had ordered it as a conversion to 520 listed in the ad was the 15-50 ratio , and I specified I wanted the 15 front and 50 rear. I recieved today a 14 front and the 50 rear plus a 120 link chain. This was the conversion that they must have decided to subtitute whatever ratio they wanted so they could use the 120 link chain. They claimed I would have to pay ten more dollars to get a 130 link chain because they did not have a 122 link chain. This is after they charged me twenty dollars in shipping for a six puund box and it took 3 weeks to get. Tomarrow we'll see if they respond to my request for customer service. I'll post the results.

That sucks i was going to run a 15 51 setup from them and I emailed them to check that and they told me I would have to pay an extra 12 dollars extra for a 130 link. When i called to place my order the lady said if I wanted she would custom order me a 122 link chain fo there supplier that stocks bulk chain and would not charge me for two exta links. I also inquired about the master link they supply and found they only supply clip links and i would have to pay an extra 10 dollars for a rivet master link. I decide to ditch the order cause it started getting up there in price especially for a 520 set even though people push that it is for performance you are really getting cheaper parts then if you would have stayed 530. I ended up going with a 14 48 steel JT sproket and EK 530MVXZ 120 w/ rivet Master Link for less $$$ then there 520 kit.

arsenic
04-10-2007, 11:15 PM
yeah I bought a Barnett clultch kit from Sum Of All Parts, and shipping was real slow. Haven't bought anything scince and not plannig to, I left them positive feedback on eBay, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone in KR.