PDA

View Full Version : bad spot for an oil leak

icekillah
02-04-2007, 12:32 PM
seems i was able to locate an oil leak that has been driving me crazy for the past month any how it looks like one of the bolts that connect the head to the block is covered with oil does this look like an common problem an easy fix? like tightening nut on bolt located in the engine head?) or can this be a trouble shooting nightmare?

btw I was doing a carb sync when i noticed this problem and i blocked off the vaccum lines, the exhausts 4 3 and 2 were hot where 1 was completelly cool do the carbs have to be synced with the vaccum line blocked off or will it be more accurate to keep the line opened (the line im talking about connects on the right side of the #4 carb)

kwebbel
02-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Guess you mean one off the bolts connecting the valvecover to the head, the bolts connecting the head to the block are inside the engine.
If you mean one off those big flat bolts you probably need a new seal/gasket for it.
If it's one off the bolts on the outside off the cover you'll need a new valvecover-gasket
Just a bit off work don't worry.

For the second question, check the plug for firing if it does most probably the mainjet is blocked.
And yes you've got to block that line while doing a sync.

icekillah
02-04-2007, 04:26 PM
finally got a photo up (for some reason can't post photos)

any how the yellow circle is where the bolt is (it leaves the enging for some reason) this is one of 8 long bolts that are attached the the engine block and secure the head down to the block

http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t20/icekillah/

md86
02-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Damn . Those have o-rings in there . If it means what I THINK it means , you's gonna have to take off the head to fix that .... And replace a few OTHER things while you're at it since you're in there anyway . BUT , if it's a pre98 , I KNOW you can get the head off without removing the engine . It'll prolly take about half a day to get in there , though .

icekillah
02-05-2007, 10:46 AM
i think your talking about those two pipes that curve it dosen't seem to be those that are leaking it seems to be one of the 8 bolts that secure the engine head to the engine block this particular ont leaves the engine head and is exposed to air Justposted a new picture of it

icekillah
02-06-2007, 03:47 PM
anyone have this problem before?

steves
02-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Is it coming out of the little ports under the exhaust? That could mean that you have a bad o-ring on the spark plug well.

I'd suggest that you clean it up real good, get all the junk off of there, and start the bike up to see where exactly it's coming from.

It might be the head gasket though....

md86
02-06-2007, 05:00 PM
i think your talking about those two pipes that curve
You think wrong . But while you're in there , you WILL wanna replace the o-rings on those pipes . PITA when you button it all back up and find a leak THERE and have to do it all again ....