PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice....

socc924
02-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Well... I have been thinking about my options lately, probably because its been maybe 2 months without riding my kat. I have an 06 katana 600 but I have been considering getting a new bike. Probably a SS. I might do this as early as the middle of this summer.

The question is, should I do any basic upgrades like exhaust, jetkit, air filter and maybe some cosmetic mods or leave it stock if I plan on selling it. Do these types of things raise or lower it's value?

Also do the basic mods help it perform much better? Im just thinking that it might keep me content for another season or two with some mods.

chinto
02-02-2007, 08:57 PM
the upgrades may help to keep you happy, but I doubt you will get your money back when you try to sell.

KatanaSoldier
02-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I agree. Mods are nice but you will lose money of you sell it.

The CyberPoet
02-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Unless you ride a BMW, mods will not net you any added value at time of sale -- although a few tasteful ones may make the bike sell faster.

Matter of fact, I recommend most owners take their bike back to as close to stock as possible and sell their upgrades separately to maximize their return on selling a bike.

In your case, I'd suggest washing, waxing, detailing and then waiting for warm weather to sell it. Because it is an '06, you are going to take a very heavy depreciation hit (first year depreciation is a bear, and on a bike that has been discontinued, it's even harder).

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

socc924
02-03-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys. Im not realy worried to much about the depreciation. It was definately worth the dep. cost for what I got out of it. I will just have to make sure I stick with my next bike long enough to pay it off. I really like R1 but I know to many people with it. Any suggestions? or should I discuss this in another section?

Wingspan
02-03-2007, 04:40 PM
I've found that the best course of action is to buy your mods used and let someone else take the depreciation hit. When you decide to sell the bike, return it to stock and sell the mods separate. I've yet to loose money on performance parts doing this. Good deals are there to be found if you're patient.

FWIW, I used to own a TL1000R that was modded to the hilt. When I decided to sell, I advertised it for $4k as it was and didn't get a single interested buyer. NOT ONE. I removed as many aftermarket parts as I could and relisted the bike for $3k. It sold quickly, as did the parts I removed. When all said and done, I pulled $6000 out of a bike that wouldn't sell for $4000.

05_katanatyson
02-03-2007, 04:55 PM
sweet car I used to have an 89 supra I used to work on

socc924
02-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks man. Funny you said that it was a car you used to work on, not a car you used to drive. Sounds to me you may have had some reliablility issues. Older cars are a pain in the butt, lol.

05_katanatyson
02-04-2007, 09:47 AM
AH, I loved that car , I wheels off a lexus, a whale tale, new paint (blacK) new motor. I had a lot of fun with that car.

The CyberPoet
02-04-2007, 06:28 PM
I really like R1 but I know to many people with it. Any suggestions? or should I discuss this in another section?

What bike you like (in your heart-of-hearts), how it fits you (ergonomically) and your riding style (distances/time-in-saddle/road surfaces in your area), plus how much experience you have under belt (whether it would be a healthy choice or a death-trap) are all personal decisions you have to make for yourself. If you have lots of friends with R1's, ask one to loan you theirs for the day or weekend and get a taste for it yourself before you make your decision. The purchase price is a lot of money to plunk down on something you are unsure of.

Personally, I love the power of the R1 and like the nimbleness, but can't stand the ergonomics and am not happy in the saddle of it on the interstate because of how it feeds back into my wrists on every expansion joint (which we have a whole lot of around here). Since I like to ride long distances, it would be a very poor choice for my needs.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet