PDA

View Full Version : 89 katana stock to 4-1

katana mike
02-02-2007, 04:08 PM
ok heres the deal........im on my second 89 600 kat and the first one i had ...the previous owner had cut off the left muffler and welded up that hole.....and added a kerker pipe making it 4-1 it seemed work good but i had so many prolems with that bike its hard to say if that was causing all my misses and carb issues....

On my current kat i have the opportunity to pick up a stock can from a 2001 f4i or a stock can from a 2003 636 for next to nothing...like 50 bucks. so my question is can i just cut off the left pipe right by where it connects at the "H" and seal the hole? or might i have more air flowing from cylinders 3-4 than 2-3? and will this screw anything up?

i added a pic of my stock setup and am talking about cutting where the red line is and welding that up and then cut the other side and weld the new pipe... :roll:

Heres a pic of what i am possibly getting..

chinto
02-02-2007, 09:03 PM
I don't have any experience with this but I don't imagine it to be a very good idea. The stock Kat exhaust is pretty restrictive to begin with, and it won't flow properly with that type of setup. I would just look for a used 4-1 that will fit. check http://www.rpm-cycle.com/ seems to be some good deals there.

katana mike
02-02-2007, 10:31 PM
ya that is a good site...saw a header off of a 02 kat 600 ...would this fit?

brooder
02-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Yes, the header from a 98+ kat will fit the pre-98. However, the collector does not completely clear the oil pan, so you'll have to use a peening hammer to dent in the collector a bit. If you replace the oil pan with a 98+, then you'll have no fitment issues.

katana mike
02-03-2007, 09:43 AM
thanks,,, so i guess its a bad idea try and convert the stock pipes to 4-1.....i went ahead and ordered the header off of an 02 750 kat

katana mike
02-14-2007, 07:24 AM
well i am just about done my project....i installed the 750 headers..after banging the crap out of them with proper tools of course. I also put on a cbr f4i pipe which sounds pretty mean on this bike..

I dremmeled out the header as well, and i had to buy a $4.99 aqdapter(mid pipe) from canadian tire tho.

I took it out for a ride last night (-12 c ) just for 5 minuites and i am pretty sure i noticed a difference in the whole power range ( seemed to wheelie easier :P )and she sounds wicked :twisted:

so now the fine tuning begins........i will post some pics soon but waiting on digi cam

chinto
02-14-2007, 08:30 AM
cool...post pics as soon as you can.

well i am just about done my project....i installed the 750 headers..after banging the crap out of them with proper tools of course. I also put on a cbr f4i pipe which sounds pretty mean on this bike..

I dremmeled out the header as well, and i had to buy a $4.99 aqdapter(mid pipe) from canadian tire tho.

I took it out for a ride last night (-12 c ) just for 5 minuites and i am pretty sure i noticed a difference( seemed to wheelie easier :P ) in the whole power range and she sounds wicked :twisted:

so now the fine tuning begins........i will post some pics soon

katana mike
02-20-2007, 09:33 AM
here are a few updated pics

katana mike
02-20-2007, 09:36 AM
more

katana mike
02-20-2007, 09:41 AM
i have couple more pics but have reached my limit for adding pictures to this threadf??

in my ride profile i got an up close of the muffler connecting to header