PDA

View Full Version : help Bogging

dude2291
01-29-2007, 03:13 PM
I have a 99 katana 600 tha will not get out of its own way.I am new to motorcycles and could use some help.I bought the bike used and it ran decent.I was told it had bad gas from sitting so I flushed the tank and changed the plugs.The bike ran pretty good except when I came to a stop It would stall.I should also mention It was hard to start.I pulled the carbs the other day to clean them now I have no power.It feels like it's loading up any suggestions?I'm thinking carbs need synced or linkage problem.

rwcreigh
01-29-2007, 03:26 PM
i would say either the carbs are still dirty or you have a power pak problem.did you replace the fuel filter?

rwcreigh
01-29-2007, 03:37 PM
did you make sure there was no trash in the petcock

dude2291
01-29-2007, 05:28 PM
The tank is clean and believe it or not when I pulled the carbs they were spotless.They looked almost new.

KatanaSoldier
01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Yup change that fuel filter.

rwcreigh
01-29-2007, 07:02 PM
did you clean in the holes and use a new carb kit?it might look clean but deep inside might be gummed up.my boat carb did the same thing until i soaked it in barrymans and rebuilt it.BUT i am not sure if you can soak the kat carbs.

steves
01-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Could be junk in the tank, junk in the fuel line, improperly routed fuel line?

Define "Flushed the tank"

These bikes are a little hard to start in cold weather.

The CyberPoet
01-29-2007, 07:15 PM
99 katana 600: The bike ran pretty good except when I came to a stop -- it would stall.I should also mention It was hard to start. I pulled the carbs the other day to clean them now I have no power.It feels like it's loading up any suggestions?I'm thinking carbs need synced or linkage problem.

My initial suspicion: airbox drain hose isn't connected at the airbox, or open at the other end.

What do the plugs look like? Can you post pics of the spark plugs?

Did you check the carbs to make sure each sync nipple cap is still in place and not torn? Ditto on the drain hose to the airbox. Symptoms do sound like a minor vacuum leak.
Fuel line needs to be downhill all the way (no pump, gravity feed).
Vacuum leak from carb #4 to the petcock would cause this kind of issue as well.

Cheers
=-= The CyberPoet

KSlawman
01-29-2007, 07:51 PM
You did put the filter back in right? It might run like junk without the restriction.

md86
01-30-2007, 01:09 AM
If it runs worse AFTER you messed with it :thinking ...... I think you all know where this is going :lol: . SOrry , but YOU broke it . Got a manual ? Get one and try again . Make SURE the little holes are clear . Once you're sure , CLEAR THEM AGAIN :md86 ! :lol: Seriously .

vintagecycle
01-30-2007, 07:59 PM
if your plugs are black too much fuel which could mean a few things dirty or worn needle and seat which is under the floats or the float level is off . white or grey plugs means you have a air leak check the intake boots from the carbs to motor