PDA

View Full Version : ELECTRIC GEARS SHIFTER

JBLUE
01-24-2007, 07:51 PM
HEY GUYS AND GALS I HAD A QUESTION IS ANYONE FAMILAR WITH A ELECTRIC UP/DOWN GEAR SHIFTERS BY A CO CALLED PINGEL ANY INPUT WOULD BE WELCOME :-) :-) :-)

steves
01-24-2007, 09:07 PM
They have a website....

http://www.pingelonline.com/

The CyberPoet
01-27-2007, 02:03 PM
I've seen them, but unless you are drag racing and specifically looking at trap-times, I can't imagine using one on a street bike. I would also be leary of using one to down-shift on a Katana transmission.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

Wade-Kat600
01-27-2007, 02:36 PM
its gotta be hard on the tranny to use that for downshift

JBLUE
01-28-2007, 08:52 PM
THE CO SAID THAT THAT DEVICE CAN BE USED ON ANY TYPE OF BIKE NOT JUST SPORTS BIKE DA YAMAHA fj 1300 USED A FACTORY ELECTRIC SHIFTER ON THIER BIKE

JBLUE
01-28-2007, 08:56 PM
THE CO STATED THAT IT CAN BE USED ON ANY TYPE OF BIKE NOT JUST SPORTS BIKE DA YAMAHA fj 1300 USED A ELECTRIC SHIFTER AS A FACTORY ADD ON

The CyberPoet
01-29-2007, 05:55 AM
THE CO SAID THAT THAT DEVICE CAN BE USED ON ANY TYPE OF BIKE NOT JUST SPORTS BIKE DA YAMAHA fj 1300 USED A FACTORY ELECTRIC SHIFTER ON THIER BIKE

The factory 07 Yamaha FJR1300A uses Yamaha-built equipment as their electronic shifter, using a dual-throw solenoid to run the shifter and a second solenoid to actually activate the clutch for each shift (very quickly, but still using the clutch). Everyone keeps acting like the FJR1300A is an automatic bike -- it's not: it has a full wet-clutch and uses it; it's just the rider doesn't have a direct hand in operating the clutch.

And while it may be true that you can bolt that aftermarket Pingel shifter onto any bike, that doesn't mean that every bike has exactly the same amount of gear tooth spline depth, the same gear-face hardness values, or is designed to take downshifts that simply slam the gears home without use of the clutch. I point you back to this thread (NHTSA Investigation: suzuki 2nd gear failure rates & causes) (http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15621) where Suzuki specifically says shifting without using the clutch is one of the two primary causes of 2nd gear failures.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

tzortn
01-29-2007, 08:03 AM
If they website says that it can be done then IT MUST BE A GOOD IDEA. :lol:

JBLUE
01-30-2007, 07:37 PM
THANKS FOR THE INFRO CYBER POET I TOO THOUGHT THE YAMAHA WAS AUTO