X

Upper Triple Tree Swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Triple Tree Swap

Is there an easy way to get the ignition swith off of the top triple tree?

I had a spare top triple that I was going to paint and just found out that the ignition is held on with the bolts from hell.

Any tips, tricks or ideas?

Umm what year is your bike I know that on my pre98 750 all I had to do was remove the allen head bolts on top of the tree. You should not have to remove the upper tree to do this. I had mine painted to match my bike. Never had to remove the ignition at all.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Tripple Tree

Mine is an 02. The ignition switch is held on from underneath by two torx style bolts. But the bolts have a "post' in the center. Even the dealers do not have the wrench to remove these.

Comment

the bolts that hold the igniniton switch in are called shear head bolts. They are a royal pain in the butt. The only wau to get the them off is with a punch and a hammer. It's beat to put the top tree in a vice, use blocks of wood if your gonna reuse it. Then take the punch stick it in the hole and knock the bolts counter clockwise. If you don't need the top tree again, just take a chisle and wack place where bolts go. Not having to stick the punch in there makes it a lot eaiser.

Comment

Is it possible to drill out the center "post" and then use a torx wrench of allen wrench to remove it?

Why doesn't a dealer have a tool to remove it? Isn't that kinda crazy?

Comment

there is no wrench to remove it. I worked at a Suzuki dealership, trust me what I said is right. Thoughs shear head bolts are torx head bolts when you put them on, when you reach a preseet torque setting the heads shear off, a hammer and a punch is the only way to get them off. If some of the members said they are different they are not stock, the stock ones are shear head bolts. If you don't want to take my advice, look at any manual they will tell you the exact same thing.

Comment

HEY....I believe you. I don't have any reason not to. I was just hoping for a simple solution.

Your answer begs a question though. If they sheared off, wouldn't I then be able to get the ignition off...then use something like vise grips to get the bolts out?....just a thought.

Comment

no you cant use vice grips because you have to fit them up inside the hole where the bolt goes. The vice grips won't fit in there, plus there is nothing to grab onto. So in short there is no simple answer. Those shear head bolts are a saftey measure put there for a reason, and probly one of the hardest things to do on a motorcycle.

Comment

But talk to HS2020, he has a painted top tree, and if he says you don't need to take that out, he would be the one to talk to.

Comment

my SV has the same bolts, should be a T40 security torx bit. as far as a shear bolt, my service manual doesn't say anything about that. i need to take mine out anyway, i can let you know tomorrow if they shear off or not.

Comment

Both of you post up some pictures of your top triple tree. That way I can look at them and be able to tell.

Dan I know you will figure it out and post up some pictures if not then I will have to : you.
                      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                        JOHN 16:33

Comment

had my triple tree off earlier today and didn't get any pix. I won't have it off again for another week or so. Hopefully KatDan will have some pix and I can verify that mine are the same.

Comment

granted he has an 02, and this is a pre 98 factory service manual. here is what it says:
                            To remove the ignition switch, remove the bolt to detach the ignition switch from the steering stem upper bracket by using a center punch and a hammer.
                            To install the ignition switch, always use the new special bolt and follow the procedure below.
                            Using the special bolts, attach the ignition switch on the steering stem upper bracket in place and run in the bolts with the special tool (torx wrench)
                            Continue turning the tool until the tool slips from the bolt head or the bolt head breaks off, then the bolt has become tightened to the proper specification.
                            that is directly from the manual. Chassis section page 7-25
                            So for the pre 98's I'm sure they are shear head bolts as for the 98+ kats maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by gvkohl
                              had my triple tree off earlier today and didn't get any pix. I won't have it off again for another week or so. Hopefully KatDan will have some pix and I can verify that mine are the same.
                              Just busting your chops.
                              "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                              JOHN 16:33

Comment

Working...
                              X