X

Wire Mesh Vent Screens

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Mesh Vent Screens

So, I'm wanting to put the wire mesh behind my vent screens and I want to know more about it. How much do I need? Where is the cheapest place to get it? What is the best way to install it? Are there any common stores that I can go to buy it rather than ordering it offline? Is it as easy as it sounds to install? Can you spray paint it and actually make it look good? If you guys have any pictures of yours with different styles of mesh I would like to look at them to see which style I like best. Any input at all on this would be greatly appreciated. I know most of you think this probably isn't a big deal, but I just don't like jumping into things anymore without having some info, done that way to many times and found out that if you don't know what your doing it's not gonna work out. Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.

There is a lot of info here about mesh modding your bike. You just need to do a search. You can get mesh at Lowes, as for the paint it has to be heat resistant up to a certain number of degrees and other things. Here are some links to some mesh mod posts. for more just do a search on them.

I hope these help.
    Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Comment

if you want pics, look at the Kat of the month section and riders profiles...Many have mesh mods. ( I will too before summer n post pics if I can steal / borrow a digi cam. )

Comment

well everyone, i bought everything im gonna need for the mesh vents. i saw on one of those other forums that someone used something called "Gutter Guard" from home depot so i went there and checked it out. i wasnt really liking it to much, it seemed like the sections were to small (maybe not but i want a little room for error), so i asked the guy working there if they had anything else like it and they did. i didnt really look at what they actually called it but it came in a 27"x84" sheet and the lady at the counter had to run a price check and she said it was something they put in concrete (i know they use mesh for concrete i work at a structural engineering company but it didnt loko like typical W.W.F. not to familiar with the other stuff they may use). the holes in the mesh are quite bigger than the holes in gutter guard but im gonna try it out, if i dont like it ill go get the gutter guard. the gutter guard was like $6.98 for a a couple sheets 36"x8", the stuff i got was $7.99 for a 27"x84" not much difference. i got some high heat black spray paint ($5, 1200 degrees... overkill lol), i got some high heat epoxy and a caulking gun ($15 for the epoxy, $2 for the gun). so overall it was like $30 for everything i need and plenty of extra, probably enough to do it 20 times lol. anyways i plan on breaking the bike down this weekend to start if i have time. ill post some pictures of the process just for fun, im sure you all know how to do it but im gonna do it anyways. i may try to make it a little more creative than some of the others ive seen but we'll see what happens. ill update you guys next week hopefully with a finished project if all goes well.

Comment

Good luck!
          "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
          JOHN 16:33

Comment

So how hot does the mesh get? What temp does the paint have to be good for? I have some gold Rust-oleum that says it is good for up to 200 deg F. I know about 240 F for the engine oil is too hot ... What does the temp outside the engine get to? Since my legs don't melt off, I'm going to guess not that high.
            2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
            Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
            "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
            Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
            Veteran of the United States Air Force.
            "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Originally posted by JaxKat
              So how hot does the mesh get? What temp does the paint have to be good for? I have some gold Rust-oleum that says it is good for up to 200 deg F. I know about 240 F for the engine oil is too hot ... What does the temp outside the engine get to? Since my legs don't melt off, I'm going to guess not that high.
              i dont know how hot all that stuff gets but i bought 1200 degree paint and liquid nails so i know im not gonna have to worry about it when i put it back on.

Comment

Originally posted by JaxKat
                Can be upwards of 450-500* F I thought?
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

how did it work out?

Comment

looks pretty good. the mesh i used i think is to big/open. besides that and the fact that my right side upper fairing is practically trashed. ill try to post some pics of the good side. but good news is is that when i replace the right side i already know how to do it and it will be much easier than the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by steves

Yeah I think Jax meant Celsius...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                        Originally posted by steves

Yeah I think Jax meant Celsius...
                        Well I broke down and found some other Gold spray paint. Duplicolor Metalcast. It says its good for 500 deg F. I think I'm good to go now. Just have to find the time to tear it down and do it.
                        2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
                        Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
                        "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
                        Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
                        Veteran of the United States Air Force.
                        "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

what color should I paint my mesh?

I was thinking black but how would it look?

Comment

Black or leave it unpainted, or polish it...

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Comment

post a pic of the mesh... lets see what it looks like unpainted.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X