X

jet size recomendations?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jet size recomendations?

I just purchased a jet kit on the net today for my '95 kat 600 (a factory pro kit). I was just curious if anyone else has rejetted a 600 with aftermarket header and can (yosh system).

I haven't recieved the kit with the directions yet, but from my experience the directions almost always mention an aftermarket can, but not a full system.

what size of jets and needle settings have you guys been using with a full system? The rest of the bike is stock except the exhaust system, with probably a k&n filter to follow (Not a pod set up, just stock replacement)

Thanks for any help

Have you checked with FactoryPro? They have a database with what combinations should work for virtually anything in your year/model.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The PDF I downloaded had both slip-ons AND full system suggested settings .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I recieved the kit a few days ago, and I'm honestly a little disappointed with the instructions that came with it. I've done a bunch of these, so installation is no big deal. But instead of telling me what sizes to use, it has a big sheet of paper with troubleshooting guidelines telling me to start with one size jet, and then tweak it until I get it right.

The whole point of these things (at least with the dynojets i've had) is that they already do the "tweaking" at the factory so that you get it right the first time!!!

anyways, I'll be sure to check out their internet sight. If I have to take my carbs off a couple of times to get it right, it's no big deal, but i'd rather not do it if i don't have to.

Comment

I've never seen a dynojet kit that didn't have at least 4 different jets in it for each carb (10 jets in the dynojet kit for the gf's parallel twin Ninja 500; 20 jets in the 98+ Kat kit).

On the other hand, the Ivan's kits have one jet per carb (and if you have a non-stock bike, you mentioned it before ordering and he swaps in what you'll need) -- but he doesn't make them for the pre-98's.

No clue on the FactoryPro kit -- haven't bought one of theirs yet.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ain't Factorypro and DJ the same ? DJ has recommnded sizes in THEIR PDF file .....

Comment

They're not the same jets and they're not the same needles (nor the same company), but I would expect they both ship with a collection of jets for different tuning needs.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I will be adding an aftermarket exhaust, Yoshi TRS, and a Bandit 1200 header to my 06 K750 soon. I have the Ivan's kit wich came with 110 pilot jets. After adding the larger exhaust header and and exhaust can that flows a bit more freely, what size pilot jet should I install?

My carbs originally came with 117.5 pilot jets. Would putting them back in and maybe just turning the pilot screw in a 1/2 to 1 turn, since for Ivan's they are turned 3 1/2 to 4 out. Or would the connection between the needle and the jet not match up properly since they are form different manufacturers?

D
                Foolish men search the earth for worldly masters, not realizing that their own mind is the master.

Comment

Originally posted by Drastion
                  I will be adding an aftermarket exhaust, Yoshi TRS, and a Bandit 1200 header to my 06 K750 soon. I have the Ivan's kit wich came with 110 pilot jets. After adding the larger exhaust header and and exhaust can that flows a bit more freely, what size pilot jet should I install?
                  The best answer is to call Ivan and ask him directly. He usually sends out replacement jets for those who bought their kits from him for free if you need to swap over for an upgrade.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

UPDATE ON THE FACTORY PRO KIT INSTALL

I installed the kit today, although unfortunately due to snow and sub zero temperatures here in the midwest, no testing has been done yet.

But, I decided on using the 117.5 main jets based on the full yosh exhaust system on the 600 kat. the kit came with 112.5 (stock size) 115, and 117.5 mains, 4 of each.

The needle clip settings recommended were 3 slots from the top, I placed mine 4 from the top. Oddly enough, after comparing the stock needles and the new ones, there were very very few differences, unlike the other kits i've installed in which the needles are totally different.

The other kicker is, the recommended settings actually had the needle sitting LOWER in the carb than the stock settings which will lean it out in the midrange. Even with the clips 4 slots down, it is still just slightly leaner than the stock settings. Perhaps an indication the aftermarket exhausts actually lose power in the midrange???

lastly, the pilot screws were set at 2.5 turns out, which is recommended both by my factory pro kit and by dynojets PDF online instructions.

anyways, as soon as I get the thing on the road i'll post what my final carb tuning specs were, maybe it will help somebody else out.

Comment

When you say it leaned out the midrange, was that based on actual gas analyzer output, or the way it felt/smelled/etc?

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

None of the above. Since I haven't finished all the paint work yet, the tank is still off, and I haven't even fired it yet.

But, if you drop the needle down lower into the carb (as in raise the needle clip position) the needle fills more of the hole coming from the main jet, and less fuel gets in the engine.

normally, aftermarket needles and stock needles are so different that you can't really compare needle clip position...sort of an apples and oranges thing. But in this case, the stock needles and factory pro needles are so similar, that dropping the needles down should lean it out.

I've got an exhaust gas analyzer at the shop that I'll hook it up to once I'm done with everything, and once all the snow melts. Thats probably the only really good way to tell...sometimes carbs don't seem to obey all the laws of physics anyways.

Comment

Well , I read that sometimes they'd lean the bike out in one range to pass EPA , then fatten it in other areas to make it run better .....

Comment

Working...
                          X