X

Exhaust swap tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust swap tips?

Is there any tips to swapping some exhaust pipes between bikes? I have a 4into1 on one bike and a stock exhaust on another. Would I need to know anything like torque specs or use some new gaskets or anything?

Torque specs are good , and gaskets are nice to have if needed . Anit seize is ALSO good when you got to put the bolts back in . Impact drivers are handy for those hard-to-get bolts .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i am about to swap my exhaust as well. I would use penetrating oil (pb blaster) on the bolts a couple days and couple times before you remove them. I have been debating on the impact thing, got me a dewalt 18v impact but don't know if it will snap them, so i am goign to try rachet first. but don't know still on the fence. and i would second the antiseize with reinstallation on preferably on new bolts.

I possibly a second set of exhaust gaskets(header to engine) for pre98 750. don't know they will fit any others. just pm me if you want them at cost. i eat shipping.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

werd. but for just the exhaust pipes... do they even have gaskets? do they need to be torqued, etc? seems like these tips are for headers.... that's my main question..

thanks!

Comment

So you just mean the clamp at the midpipe ? Then .... i'd just tighten it down until it's snug . I've READ about gaskets at that point , but never taken one apart there , so I can't say first-hand ....
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I always replace the exhaust gaskets on any bike over about 3 years old, because the gaskets tend to get mangled. The midpipe gasket is around $20 for a new one. Covering it with high-temp antiseize will make it easier to install and although it'll smoke for 15 minutes or so after you first fire up the bike, it will help make it removable again in the future. Use high temp antiseize on the header bolts and on the midpipe clamp bolt/nut.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hey cyber i have a question about exhaust will a 90's and up gsxr 600 mid pipe fit on my 02 kat 600?

Comment

Honestly - no clue.
                I'd suspect that the oil-air cooled GSXR ones probably will, and the water-cooled GSXR ones probably won't.

Simple solution: if you are buying an aftermarket can used, contact the original manufacturer before you commit and see if they offer the right midpipe for your Kat. Some manufacturers will, and some will have changed their designs during the meantime (example: WileyCo's post-2000 production uses a different flange at the muffler than their older cans).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                  I always replace the exhaust gaskets on any bike over about 3 years old, because the gaskets tend to get mangled. The midpipe gasket is around $20 for a new one. Covering it with high-temp antiseize will make it easier to install and although it'll smoke for 15 minutes or so after you first fire up the bike, it will help make it removable again in the future. Use high temp antiseize on the header bolts and on the midpipe clamp bolt/nut.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Don't use bolts. use threaded ends with nuts, which way or another it will allways come loose////

Comment

I agree with kwebbel
                    2007 GSXR 750 Blk/Blu
                    2002 GSXF 600 Blue

Comment

Working...
                    X