PDA

View Full Version : flushmounted turnsignals any good?

ronin
12-04-2006, 06:11 PM
does anyone have these flushmounted turnsignals (made by lightworks)?
if so...
are they just as bright as the stock ones?
are they DOT approved?
how are they mounted?

[/list][/img]

The CyberPoet
12-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I've seen these on various pre-98 Kats and if they are the ones I believe them to be (listed in the PartsUnlimited catalog), the version with standard bulbs are DOT-approved, while the LED versions of the same are not (at least as of the time the '06 catalog was printed).

I prefer these to totally flush mounts (i.e. - ones that are totally flat) because they can be seen from behind and at a 45 degree angle.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet

ronin
12-04-2006, 07:36 PM
i found these at lockhartphillipsusa.com

i too have no interest in the totally flush mounts because they don't appear as visible as the ones i originally posted.

i have a buddy that has the led lights (clear lens by clear alternatives) on his Honda 600 and i was not impressed at all. while we were riding in the morning sunlight, i could barely see his brake lights.

i'd rather be seen than the bike look cool.

TheKlic
12-04-2006, 09:12 PM
I have those, very bright, very visible, better than stock.
there is sticky dual sided tape on the back. There are also room for the two bolts you see to go all the way through and through the plastic then a nut and bolt

paradoxmd
12-04-2006, 09:54 PM
i, too, have them. the double sided tape is crap IMO. i opted to drill into the fairing. i bought mine from ebay, and the auction stated they weren't DOT approved so take that as you will. but as klic said, they are indeed very bright and much better than stock.

ronin
12-04-2006, 11:16 PM
fierce! thanks for the input guys, now i know what to ask santa this year! :D

StevieB
12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I use 'em on the front of my Bandit 12, and had em on the back of my 98 Kat 750. I like 'em, obviously.

I think they are not DOT approved b/c they do not stick out far enough- I understand that DOT regs state that turn signal lights must be a certain distance from the centerline of the bike, or some such. That's why OEM signals often are mounted on stalks. It would have to be a particulary picky and well-informed LEO who would give you a ticket for it, tho.

Blue bulbs or lenses, however, would be a different matter- cops don't take kindly to you looking like one of them in peep's rear-view mirrors.

TheKlic
12-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Here they are on mine, front and back. Clear lenses, yellow bulbs.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Kale/Bike/Bike3.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/Kale/Bike/Bike2.jpg

paradoxmd
12-06-2006, 03:17 PM
hey! where's your quaker state fairing?!

SweetLou
12-06-2006, 06:24 PM
I have something similar to that on the rear of my bike. Ithink they are very bright, and very easy to see.

ronin
12-07-2006, 09:53 AM
i'd have to agree with StevieB, i'd be surprised if a cop would know the difference if they were DOT or not. :roll:

as long as the cager can tell if i'm turning right or left, that is all i'm concerned with (and i believe the average cop would be too).

thanks for posting the pics TheKlic, i'm sold!!! 8)

TheKlic
12-07-2006, 11:26 AM
hey! where's your quaker state fairing?!

Those pics were Pre-wreck, aka pre oil container fairing :lol: fairing

evil-eye
12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
i have those they work great

bkbell2
12-17-2006, 12:46 AM
I just installed those exact ones on my bike and I can say that they are simple to install, improve looks, and are bright. Get 'em

tjriddle
01-03-2007, 12:32 PM
I too have them on a couple of bikes. Improve looks and are highly visible

katclaw
01-03-2007, 02:57 PM
YEAH I HAVE THOSE ON THE FRONT OF MINE I TOOK THE OLD TURN SIGNALS OUT AND CUT A PIECE OF CARBON FIBER TO FILL THE HOLES THEN I SCREWED THE NEW TURN SIGNALS IN TO THE CARBON FIBER. USE TO LOOK GOOD BUT THE SUN HAS FADED THE PLASTIC A BIT

Jax
01-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't believe that any aftermarket signals are DOT approved, but I might be wrong...As for an officer knowing...well anyone who has been pulled over by a certain cop in Palos Verdes, CA, will know that this officer know's the DOT standards back and forth...I've never experienced it but a friend of mine became one of his victims...this officer picked off all non DOT approved items on his bike...from Windshield, blinkers, exhaust, tailight, etc...Luckly for him he kept all the stuff he removed so that he could put them back on and get the ticket signed off...

The CyberPoet
01-03-2007, 03:26 PM
Most DOT approved items will say "DOT" stamped into the plastic or metal. Most of everything else will say "For off-road use only".

And, yes, there are aftermarket DOT-approved blinker systems on the market.

Cheers,
=-= The CyberPoet