X

How did you do it????????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you do it????????

Hey everyone. I will soon be getting rid of that nasty rear shovel on my 02 Kat and am installing a Creese bracket for the plate. I've searched and read a lot of great ideas on how to chop the rear shovel and saw numerous ways that I can re-mount my plate and signals. So I decided on the Creese bracket. Reasonably priced and should look good. What no one really covered to any extent was the license plate light. What have all of you done to solve this problem? Are you using the original light, bolt lights, single LED light? Whatever it may be, how'd you mount it? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and by the way...........anyone who has a 98-02 Kat (original tail) without an aftermarket undertail kit, and have installed a Creese bracket, are there any mods to do to the bracket, or will it just bolt (or screw) anywhere decent under the tail? Thanks again...........and looking forward to making her look better.

Comment

I have a pre-98, but you should be able to use the same idea on yours. Also, I THINK the 98+'s have the same mounting holes as the pre-98's.

Here is a picture of the light I picked up at Autozone. It's labeled as a trailer license plate light, and I just crimped on some bullet connectors to plug into the factory harness. It was silver, but some spray paint fixed that pretty quickly.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
      who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I just put mine as far fwd as possible. sheet metal screws
        rock
        always working on mods

Comment

Court93 - you ride a bike in alaska ??? Dont you only have like a month of available riding throughout the year?
          2001 GSXF 600

Comment

I added a peice of metal between the screw points in the back to mount the bracket to.

And check here. There is a section in the pdf on how to adapt the existing light to the new bracket. I used it on mine and it works like a charm.
            Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
            -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
            -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by solidfish
              Court93 - you ride a bike in alaska ??? Dont you only have like a month of available riding throughout the year?
              Heck yeah I ride in Alaska. Army only has a few spots to send me that I won't have my Kat with me.

No, we get a good 6 months of riding season up here. If you are truly hardcore, you can get more. But it really helps if you have an electric suit or a snowmobile suit to wear. I don't have either of those, so I don't start riding until the temps are about 50 and stop riding when they hit 50 on the way back down.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
              who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

dremel tool and a box cutter for me
                I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Thanks everyone for your info. I am now ready to get rid of that shovel!!!!!!! Great ideas!!!!

Comment

I used air tools. Just watch for flying bits-o-plastic that will attempt to lodge themselves in your eyes. Oh, and keep your mouth closed too, cuz they try to go there as well.
                    Kan-O-Gixxer!
                    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                    -Ohlins Susupension
                    -Various Other Mods

Comment

lights, whos needs a stinkin' licence plate litght? The cops cant see your plate when you run without a light on it. the first thing on ANY sport bike to go is those HUGE rear renders!!!! When i got my kat that was the FIRST thing to be detected inpected and rejected! I DETEST THEM! anyway, i cut mine off and put my license plate ona 45-50 degree angle with no light, just capped off wires....its been like that for about 4 years now and the only thing i have been pulled over for is the plate on such an angle the cop cant see it, it was at night and he didnt say anything about no light on it.....however i can easily see some doughnut eating pig (and yes i know there is some cop reading this right now) giving you a ticket for it. As i remember the tail on my 600 is pointy, it might only work on a pre 98 but couldnt you get rotozip and cut out a little hole on the bottom part of your tail light so white light could come out and illuminate your plate? dunno, i think the post 98's taillights are ugly but it should still work, its neat its sleek and the only way someone would be able to see it is if they were laying on the ground as you went over the top, just a little skinny slice with a rotozip to give it some light so you could tell the officer, ive got a light on it... or in my case thats how it was stock i think, i got it like that, to which he replied, you dont have a front license plate....TRUE STORY, and i said neither does any other bike on the road, they don't make them, watch out guys, these are the people who keep us safe!? Ride safe out there guys!

Comment

Originally posted by jakedkat
                        lights, whos needs a stinkin' licence plate litght? The cops cant see your plate when you run without a light on it. the first thing on ANY sport bike to go is those HUGE rear renders!!!! When i got my kat that was the FIRST thing to be detected inpected and rejected! I DETEST THEM! anyway, i cut mine off and put my license plate ona 45-50 degree angle with no light, just capped off wires....its been like that for about 4 years now and the only thing i have been pulled over for is the plate on such an angle the cop cant see it, it was at night and he didnt say anything about no light on it.....however i can easily see some doughnut eating pig (and yes i know there is some cop reading this right now) giving you a ticket for it. As i remember the tail on my 600 is pointy, it might only work on a pre 98 but couldnt you get rotozip and cut out a little hole on the bottom part of your tail light so white light could come out and illuminate your plate? dunno, i think the post 98's taillights are ugly but it should still work, its neat its sleek and the only way someone would be able to see it is if they were laying on the ground as you went over the top, just a little skinny slice with a rotozip to give it some light so you could tell the officer, ive got a light on it... or in my case thats how it was stock i think, i got it like that, to which he replied, you dont have a front license plate....TRUE STORY, and i said neither does any other bike on the road, they don't make them, watch out guys, these are the people who keep us safe!? Ride safe out there guys!
                        I added a peice of metal between the screw points in the back to mount the bracket to.

And check here. There is a section in the pdf on how to adapt the existing light to the new bracket. I used it on mine and it works like a charm.
                        Or you could reread my first post, which in turn points you to a pdf file that explains how to mount a light so the bike is street legal. I mean, you wouldn't want some "doughnut eating pig" pulling you over for having a bike that doesn't meet street legal requirements.
                        Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                        -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                        -Terence

Comment

In regards to this license plate light, I just drilled a hole a little bit smaller than the size of the bulb socket and stuck it over the license plate thru the fender liner underneath. It lights it up pretty bright and you can't even see the bulb sticking out if you are looking from the rear. Just my .02 cents.

Comment

this is great! I was wondering how to add a license plate light as previous owner removed it when he did the tail.

Comment

YEAH I PUT A 03 TAIL, WITH BUSA STYLE LIGHT IN IT, ON MY 02 LOOKS GREAT AND IT ALREADY HAD A TAG LIGHT BUILT IN

Comment

Working...
                              X