X

Slip on vs. Full exhaust question.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slip on vs. Full exhaust question.

Ok, I talked to the MX guy at a bike shop today and he told me that for the Katana that putting a full exhaust on is not worth it. He said it woudn't give me any increase over just putting on a slip-on.

Is this guy full of it or what?
    Foolish men search the earth for worldly masters, not realizing that their own mind is the master.

ok...to get any serious gains, you would be required to rejet the carbs and upgrade your intake filter.

to put it in laymans terms...

your less restrictive EXHAUST will allow for more air and fuel to be utilized..

the ONKLY way to make power is to add air and fuel in the correct mixtures.

By adding a slip-on...and we will use HINDLE for example....you will allow for a better flow AND evacuation of the combustion chamber, allowing a better flow of air and fuel....thereby making a moderate (2-3hp) gain in performance....mostly felt by snappier throttle response.

by going with a full exhaust without altering the air/fuel...you will just be running the bike lean...with netting the same HP gain.

want to get the BEST bang for your buck....go with a slip-on and then drop the front sprocket one tooth (or raise rear 3 teeth0

You will feel that right away....still have driveability and it won't be a tempermental as a full system (which you will need to do some trial and error work and dyno runs)

Or get the full system and an Ivans jet kit....but you are bordering on the $1000 mark

Comment

I already have plans to install an Ivans jet-kit and an advancer (5 deg) and a K&N air filter.

With that installed would the full exhaust offer any gains worth paying that extra 300 to 500 increase?

Or would performing a grind-out of my stock headers as as illustrated by CyberPoet give me the same results as putting on an aftermarket header?
      Foolish men search the earth for worldly masters, not realizing that their own mind is the master.

Comment

An aftermarket header should boost power , but mostly at upper rpm's , and USUALLY at the exspense of lower rpm's . Worth it ? Your call . Full systems CAN be had for cheaper if you shop around and maybe find a used one . If you want MAX power , then yeah , it'll sure help with that . If you want it to sound different and gain just a LITTLE power , slip-on and jet kit . But , I THINK I read that even with Ivan's kit , a full system ain't recommended , or something . Anyone ? Or was that just the K&N ?
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Do you really need to get the Jet kit if you get a Full system? Same for the Pre-98?
          Just remember: Satan loves you

Comment

Yeah , a full system will change your fuel requirements . You will run WAY lean unless you add more fuel .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i am so confused. all i want is a little more power and a great sound. but not like the sound of a d-n-d. i have a '03 600 kat
              What did the hand say to the face?... "Slap!"

Comment

I found this on Ivan's site:

"This kit needs to be used with a stock airbox and filter."

But it didn't say anything about having to use stock muffler or header.

So if his kit is set-up to use stock airbox and filter, I would probably have to go even richer if I were to use a K & N thus really bringing my MPG down.

Am I "ass"uming correctly on this?

Comment

I actually had this exact same question and found the following:

Unless one actually measures the exhaust flow, no one is absolutely sure that the header improves flow.

I know that the diameter of the OEM / Aftermarket headers are the same. On top of that, both OEM and aftermarket systems are mandrell bent. Therefore, no other factors of resistence that would make one better than the other.

The only factor that would make the flow difference is the muffler, which is the only resistance factor.

However, one advantage of aftermarket header is appearance I think.

On a car, headers can significantly increase flow because the bends are different, it splits differently (4 - 2 - 1, etc) and the most biggest factor, it eliminates the cat on most vehicles. Less resistence = more high end power, like md86 said.
                  2001 GSXF 600

Comment

I think ivan needs to make an appearance and solve this mystery
                    Just remember: Satan loves you

Comment

Thats a dang good idea, think I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and I'll post up what I find out.

Comment

Working...
                      X