X

Pre 98 Shovel Chop....I Can't Find the Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre 98 Shovel Chop....I Can't Find the Thread

Yes, I used the SEARCH, feature and it worked!! But now I can't find the friggin thread that I'm looking for!!! Ok, in one of the MANY fender chop threads, someone with a PRE 98 asked about cutting out the metal in the shovel. Take a look at part #9 here: http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_00...80&parent=4850

Pre 98 folks, are you removing this entire piece? Hacking part of it off or what? On my first failed/botched shot at chopping, I cut the section under the tail light too short. Running my trap on the phone, and cut at least 3 GDMF inches above my mark!!! FYI-cell phones, dremmels, & beer can be a deadly!! Anywho, before I try it again, I was just curious if you all were leaving any of that metal under your tail or not?
    This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
    BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Michelle... I will have to look at mine tonight. Never really looked at the metal under there. I will get some more pics for you and send them your way.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I took off the plate bracket , marked where I wanted to cut , cut , then marked where I wanted to relocate the plate bracket to , then drilled . Sorry , but I don't see the problem ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

FASHER,

Yes, I completely unbolted that metal assembly. Cutting it would'a been a biatch.

You can see the metal assembly in this pic re-attached to the cut-off plastic. (It truly makes a great shovel)

Comment

I always marked the plastic, cut it with a carpenters saw (love that big flat blade - EZ to make straight cuts with!) and then re-installed the metal bracket, marked it, then took it off and cut it with a hack saw (in a vise). Reinstalled the metal and then ground it a bit to smooth it to the plastics......sorta mark, loosen, drop, grind, raise up, check, repeat.

You need that metal for bolt holes, reinforcing that area, etc.

The 2nd one shows the cuts better.

BTW........the little license plate light is mandatory in (I believe) all 50 states! It came from a licnese plate light from any 98+ Kat! Just drill a hole and install the guts and plug it in!
          Attached Files
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I cut mine to a shape I liked (demo blade in sawzall made short work of the metal....just watch the wires). shortened the turn signals, and sanded the edges with 150 grit. Came out ok, got one or two compliments, but in all honesty, I have sheet metal in the shop, and as soon as I have time (and flushmount t/s's) I will be copying Red-line's or Special K's design (as long as they're cool with it)
            That being said, I can get some exterior and underside pics tomorrow if desired.
            I would love to meet the voices in my head

96 Katana 600 (my ride)
            05 Ninja 250 (wife's ride)

Comment

My current "botched" chop does NOT have the metal frame, and I can already see it kinda sagging. Anyway, I got my replacement shovel yesterday. On my next SOBER attempt at chopping I will leave the framing in and chop it accordingly.

I am rethinking my tag plate setup though. I have one of these Motrax brackets, but I may toss it and do something else.
              Attached Files
              BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

FASHER, if you toss it, could you send it my way?

96 Katana 600 (my ride)

Comment

I sure will!! If I ever get my bike back, I'll re-try my chop and decide which way I want to go with the place mount.

Comment

Carp,
                    I decided to keep the plate mount.

Comment

S'ok, I made one over the weekend, and did the full chop. I just hadn't updated it on this thread.

96 Katana 600 (my ride)

Comment

Working...
                      X