X

Windscreen whacky

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windscreen whacky

So I got this 'Speed Screen' in a smoked color. Well, I didn't realize there were wires/guages etc behind the windscreen uncovered (but hidden by the stock screen by some black stuff I couldn't take off). So, now I have a trash bag hiding the internals of the instrument cluster, and the very top of the headlight is covered by the windscreen about an inch (but you can see the headlight thru the screen).

So...what does one do in this situation? I considered painting it all black, or somehow contructing something to blacken out the instrument cluster and top part of the headlight. Any suggestions?

1996 750cc
    Just remember: Satan loves you

I had the same problem on my Zero Gravity screen. This is what I did.

With the screen mounted, I used a grease pencil to trace where I wanted blacked out. Took the screen back off, flipped it over to the inside, and taped newspaper down to cover what I didn't want to paint. Then used some sandpaper to rough up the plastic a little and sprayed it with flat black paint. Gave it plenty of time to dry, and voila!! No more wires visible through the screen.

Now, for the part hanging over the headlight... here is an idea. When you have it mounted up to mark where to paint, mark where you want the bottom to stop. Once you take it back off (before you prep for paint) either cut it down with a saw, dremel, sander, or whatever you have.

Just make sure you follow your line of where you want it cut. Or cut it a bit longer than the line. It is much easier to take more off than it is to add plastic back on!! You can always fine tune it with some sandpaper. Even if you hand sand it.

Hope these ideas help you out man.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Did you buy the right screen for you bike? I bought a speed screen and it fit perfectly.
      Smooth is Fast

Comment

Painting sounds pretty damn involved. Just go to walmart and get some 5% window tint, mark where you want it darkened out and tint it. Make sure you clean it well and that you get ALL the air bubbles out, but it only allows 5% light in. Plus it's removeable if you decide to sell, etc. It's a more temporary solution. In this situation, it might be better.

Comment

Wow thats not a bad idea with the tint APmorgan..nice one!

Comment

Re: Windscreen whacky

Originally posted by hougy
            So I got this 'Speed Screen' in a smoked color. Well, I didn't realize there were wires/guages etc behind the windscreen uncovered (but hidden by the stock screen by some black stuff I couldn't take off). So, now I have a trash bag hiding the internals of the instrument cluster, and the very top of the headlight is covered by the windscreen about an inch (but you can see the headlight thru the screen).

So...what does one do in this situation? I considered painting it all black, or somehow contructing something to blacken out the instrument cluster and top part of the headlight. Any suggestions?

1996 750cc
            I brought this up in the shout box a few weeks ago and folks though I was going whacky! I kinda though of leaving it though. I recently added some ew signals, so I cleaned up the wiring in that area. Now at night with the headlight on, it almost looks like those clear amp boxes that folks run. I actually thought I might put a few small LED's back there later on.

Anyway for an immediate fix, I have a piece of, well darn I forgot what you call it ....the stuff they put in your door panels to protect you wirring and speakers. Anyway, I have a hunk (black) of that. I plan on stickin it in this weekend.
            This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
            BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

I'm going to give Court93's suggestion a shot. Apparently many people have done that (even with their own designs). I also thought about putting something behind it and having LED's behind it shining through some design. But then I realized...I have no free time, so painting is my of doing this...lol
              Just remember: Satan loves you

Comment

must be a pre 98 thing?? anyways with the led thing i have 4 leds that edge light my windscreen it looks very cool and is very simple to do i used streetglow leds they have them in a 4 pack and have a small box with dobble sided tape on them. as you would guess the tape wont hold i used super glue but you have use the 2 part super glue that has a primer or something or it never drys i just glued them to the pannel with teh 3rd eye

Comment

I should have read this before yesterday - installed my speed screen last night and some aftermarket turn-signals - flush mounts in front and dinkie blinkies in back.

It took a second to realize that you can see the guts behind the windscreen.

I was thinking of that first option - tape, sand, shakercan... but am warming up to the second option. Hell, I can use the outline within the old windscreen as a template for what I want.

Great when that "search" option pans out.
                  "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
                    must be a pre 98 thing?? anyways with the led thing i have 4 leds that edge light my windscreen it looks very cool and is very simple to do i used streetglow leds they have them in a 4 pack and have a small box with dobble sided tape on them. as you would guess the tape wont hold i used super glue but you have use the 2 part super glue that has a primer or something or it never drys i just glued them to the pannel with teh 3rd eye

i painted mine but only after I installed a knight rider style LED behind the screen. can't see the light when its off, but the red light looks pretty cool when its on.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Well, did what I said I was gonna do...

I used the old one as a template and sketched out some window tinting based on the stock windscreen... I must've screwed up in the application because the dark tint dips lower in the front than the stock one did.

Guess I'll pull it off and try again... if I'm still not happy with it (CRIPES that stuff is a PITA to deal with), I'm going back to the original idea of tape, sand and shakercan. Since the whole bike is shakercan, might as well use the same color, right?? Wonder what that would look like if I paint the inside of the windscreen.
                      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
                        must be a pre 98 thing??
                        yep it is a pre98 thing. they don't have one large harness going into the gauges like the post 98. We have seperate wires for each gauge.

i got a smoked screen and i can see the wires, but really doesn't bother me because i can't see it while riding, doesn't affect opperation. I do plan on adding either katana, gsx750f or suzuki to where the screen over laps the headlight.

but i have also thougth of the rattle can and probably will when i go home early may.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Working...
                        X