Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

A new kind of tail light mod for 98-02 tails (pics)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new kind of tail light mod for 98-02 tails (pics)

A little paint mod I did a few days ago.

This is for the 98-2002 models only as Suzuki got smart and changed the tail of the Katana in the 03 models and up.

The PROBLEM with the 98-02 suzuki tail lights is that they are very difficult to see during the day. I had several friends tell me that they almost rearended me because they couldnt tell that I was braking. This is caused by the tail lens having a very large upper surface area that transmits light from the sun and reflects it back outward making the tail light look lit. My solution was to mask off the bottom half of the tail lens and paint the top half black with krylon fusion gloss black paint. I actually did a pretty bad job of painting but just got too lazy to take it off and fix it.

Here is an illustration of my logic.

So anyways, Since I was painting it black, I figured I'd do a little stencil on it. For this I chose my chinese name which translates to "dragon". It's much more intricate than the symbol for katana so if anyone wants to make one that says katana, know that it couldnt possibly be as hard as mine.

Simply put masking tape, draw out the character in pencil, and cut it out with a small utility knife (I actually used a scalpel type tool from a cheap hobby kit I bought. Mask off the bottom, paint with krylon. I was using the end of the paint can so the last little bit left splotches. I just fixed this by giving it a coat of clearcoat. When it was on the bike, i tried giving it another clearcoat but I ended up causing more splotches with the overspray. That's the price I pay for being lazy. Anyways, the black could have turned out better, and if I ever get around to taking it off and re-clearcoating it, it'll be a nice smooth gloss again, but for now, this will suffice as I have other projects to work on.

Some pics.

Visability has improved incredibly during the day and is just as good at night. I tested this mod with electrical tape for a few days first and got everyone's opinion on whether or not 1) it worked better during the day, and 2) if it got any worse at night. Everyone encouraged me to do the mod.

So whacha guys think?

Looks pretty cool
    Submariners do it deeper

Comment

looks pretty good, do you have a pic from the back straight on?

Comment

Interesting idea. I often think I left my lights on when the bike is parked in the sun for the very reason you described. Damn tail light always looks lit.

I've been looking to put LEDs in to get brighter light, but maybe this is a better solution? Only thing is I love the way the tail looks when you see the bike from the side - always reminds me of a scorpion.

I really like your idea though, and I don't think the paint looks bad. Since I don't read Chinese I really don't know how the character looks .

I wonder if a black vinyl decal over the top of the tail light would work? I think I'm gonna try the electrical tape and see if there's a noticible difference. Thanks for the idea and congrats on the mod!
        ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Cool look. Very different.
          Bike is sold

Comment

Comment

Looks pretty good, and anything that makes your brake light stand out more is good in my books.
              Kyle

Comment

Looks good and clean your garage.

Comment

Hey Alan, it looks great. I am going to try it out!

I think I will take Yellow2002Kat's route though, and try it with a vinyl decal first.

Yellow, if you are reading this, I have a friend who owns a vinyl lettering business, and I'll have him make up a dozen or so. I can ship one to you. I am here in Orlando.

Comment

Interesting I think it looks pretty good. It's a good idea with the stencils of chinese characters. Its gotta look good at night.

Can you take a pic of it at night, straight on from the back so we can see how much illumination you get when its dark out ?

Like this one, only in the dark?

Thanks.

Comment

:P my garage is pretty messy isnt it

I'll take a pic tonight

Comment

Hey MIBagent I just bought some silverstars and now my 3rd eye light looks like crap. I have absolutely 0 skills working with LED's and stuff...do you have/sell anything that can make my 3rd eye match my Silverstars?

Comment

Very clean! (Not talking about your garage...haha)

Comment

Najus PM me about those LED's, I do not have the time or materials to mass produce them for everyone but I can make then on a member to member basis.

Comment

Cool thanks for the pic. You dont seem to sacrifice any visibility at night even with the top blacked out like that.

I have some suzuki blue/gray paint left from the cowl before.

Comment

Working...
                              X