X

stock pipe 'muffler' removal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stock pipe 'muffler' removal?

i read here about 'mufflerectomy/restrictorectomy' on the stock SV650 pipes. is that possible for stock gsxf's?

i'm assuming the weldings are going to be different, but same outcome ('hollow' pipe acting like a slip on).

Sure looks like the same type of can.
    Bike is sold

Comment

is this just not common, or did i make the subject line confusing?

Comment

???

whats the outcome your trying to achieve ???

Comment

the guys on the svrider forum says its similar to a slip on.

less restriction, and not paying for the name.

Comment

since you posted this, I went home and did it.

I had a little extra difficulty because of this rain shield at the end of the muffler. and instead of drilling holes, I found it much easier to use a punch and make a bunch of little holes, then use a 1/2" chisle and break a line between all the holes. It was mainly hard to drill because that rain shield got in the way. I ended up dremelling it off AFTER i got the restrictor out but if you cut it off before, maybe you can drill holes to break the first baffle.

As for my remarks, it made the bike louder than I thought it would. On idle it has this pretty loud low-town rumble that makes the kat sound like a v-twin. The low tone isnt as bad as you rev it up but overall it is louder.

If i were to do it again, i probably wouldnt have done it because I dont like my exhaust that loud. If sound is what ur looking for, then go right ahead.

Comment

how did you get the restrictor out? did you use a dremel attachment to get down inside?

i ride mostly with my buddies with VTX's. a little sound for me doesn't hurt.

did you notice anything else besides noise level?

Comment

I did the same thing he did. Used a dremel with the attachment ziptied/ductaped it to a long screwdriver, and stuck it down the hole and cut it out.

we got 50+mm of rain yesterday so I've only gotten to take the bike out once. Perhaps once I've ridden it a few more times I'll write a follow up review, and some pictures.

Comment

follow up review and pics greatly appreciated, sound clip would be nice too.

kinda redundant that we have two similar threads in two different forums :/

p.s.-thats ok on your muffler, i might just go about doing it myself. if i don't like it, i'll hunt for a stock one too

Comment

could u do a step by step walk through on how to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by hutch
                      could u do a step by step walk through on how to do it?
                      theres a link on the first post.

Comment

No pictures yet because I cant seem to find my camera. When it pops up I'll take more shots.

For now i think I'm going to clean up the inside a bit with my dremel, it still looks like a hack job but should look much nicer once it's clean.

As a follow up, I've really started to like the sound of the muffler. It isnt as obnoxious as a D&D but it's about on par with a hindle or yosh. Hopefully I can find someone with a digital camcorder so I can take a short vid for you guys to listen to it.

Comment

I have an 05 600 and used a 03 600 can. I used a hole saw to open the first area followed by a sawzall and a cutting torch. I removed the third chamber ( man what a chore ) and used the cutting torch to cut back the "final pipe" (used to be the final pipe). Take care not to get to happy with the torch, as this could lead to a nasty hole. Lastly I used a pnuematic die grinder to finish it up. I love the sound that I got..... not as abnoxious as a D&D and a very tasteful sound.. I kept my 05 can for inspection reasons and did not want to screw it up. My .02$
                          Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

someone on the other similar thread "gutted stock muffler" claims to have engine problems..

Originally posted by Loki41680
                            I too did the same thing, after 6500 miles, I have a bad piston ring on the 3rd cylinder due to no back pressure
                            pulled from here

Comment

I did not completly "gut" the muffler , only the third chamber... Have you ever looked into a D&D muffler ? It is completely open except for the mesh on the outer diameter of the opening.. No back pressure will screw up valves..not rings that I know of. Fyi
                              Horn broken--watch for finger....

Comment

Working...
                              X