X

Changed front wheel bearings, now have problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed front wheel bearings, now have problems

Might be a dumb question, but here goes... I recently changed the front wheel bearings on my kat, and am now having issues getting the wheel to fit properly. This is new territory for me and I am learning as I go. That said, here's where I'm at:

I got the front wheel off and old bearings out, and new ones in. My problem is when I go to put the wheel back on. When looking from the front of the bike, the wheel seems to be shifted to the left almost a 1/4 of an inch from where I think it should be. I didn't notice this until trying to put the break caliper back on. The mounting brackets on the calipers where the bolts go through to attach it to the fork actually rubs against the disk when the wheel is rotated.

Can someone direct me as to how to place the wheel properly. Am I just that dumb, or did I do something wrong along the way? The wheel spun fine (in regards to the breaks) before I removed the wheel, but now, well, I've already gone over that part. This makes me think I did something wrong with the bearings, but like I said, I'm really in new territory here. Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

- Justin

Are you sure that you pressed the bearing in far enough? Did you completely install the front axle? I am not 100% sure, but I believe that the shoulder on the front axle locates the right (from the rider's point of view) bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
      Are you sure that you pressed the bearing in far enough? Did you completely install the front axle? I am not 100% sure, but I believe that the shoulder on the front axle locates the right (from the rider's point of view) bearing.
      I did completely install the front axel, everything tight. I figured the problem is revolving around the bearings. From the rider's perspective, the left bearing I placed in just far enough that the wide part of the spacer fits against the wheel. The right bearing seems to be pressed into place just from screwing the axel in via the shoulder on the axel. Does this sound right? This is the current way that I have it, with the caliper rubbing on the disk.

Comment

Figured it out, just wasn't fitting properly, but all is well now.

Comment

Originally posted by JesterGfx
          So, what was it?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            Originally posted by JesterGfx
            So, what was it?

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            I don't want to say. I'm a retard. But it was late at night and I had chinese for dinner so I'll blame the brain not functioning properly on that. I found out it helps if the wheel's on the right direction. Worst part is it was my wife that was like, "are you sure the wheels going in the right direction?" I'm like, "please honey, I'm not that thick." I'll be damned. My wife's my new mechanic. I'm going to bow my head in shame now and crawl back into my hole. Move along, nothing to see here.

Comment

You are a better man for admitting that you were wrong. BTW are you sure that the tire is mounted correctly?

Comment

Yeah, it's fine now, turned the sucker around and saw how things were supposed to fit. Kind of like that light shining down from the clouds above with angels singing at the same time. Re-fit the bearings so they would work with the spacers, and now it's super smooth and tight (all to specified torque settings). Rides nice too. All is good except for the ego I'm still trying to pry off the garage floor. Thanks for your help though Tzortn.

Comment

Working...
                X