X

98+ rims on pre-98, why only 98-03?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98+ rims on pre-98, why only 98-03?

What's different between the 98-03 wheels and the 04-05 wheels? Are the 04-05 still swappable to a pre-98?

Thanks,
    bama
    What the deuce!?!

Haven't ran into that yet...I wouldn't think they changed something that would keep them from being swappable.
    1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
    2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
    Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

Yeah, part numbers are different, and I thought I recalled someone specifically saying 98-03 rims, but I can't imagine what they could've changed. I wonder if anyone's swapped in an 04 or 05?
      What the deuce!?!

Comment

Just make sure you get the right brakes and such.

'98-'02 bikes had rotors with a depressed carrier, whereas all the new '03+ bikes have a flat rotor. Apparently it's due to the forks being wider by a fraction of an inch - not sure if it affects the actual wheel or not, but you might want to check that out on a 'fiche somewhere.
        FrankenKat 1216
        GS Fiter 816
        GSXR750! (race)

Comment

'03up front rims do not fit the pre98's because of the different in the rotors.
          98-02 fronts will fit but you may need to trim your fender sides a little depending on tire size.
          I believe that all 98+ rear's can be swapped in as normal (rim and rotor, use your spacers and cush/sprocket)

Tail sections.. 2003up should all be the same. What part numbers did you come up with? Should be a set of 3. First set is actual part number, second is model code, third is paint code. Third number doesn't matter unless you need a specific color. Second number will roll 1 or 2 digits for year and/or discontinued replacement (first run may be a 19C00, second run would be something like 19C10). First number is the actual part number and may roll 1 digit but shouldn't.

That said, none of the 98-02 or 03 up tails are swappable to the pre98's to my knowledge. Well, let's rephrase that. None of the 98+ tails are a direct swap, you can make anything fit anything else with the right tools and patience.
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Working...
          X