Solo Cowl tabs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Cowl tabs

Hello,

Whist mounting my painted solo cowl today I busted one of the rubber covered tabs ,too much bending/unbending (metal fatigue).

Would anybody have a few spares they could throw my way?

I live in Toronto, Ontario.
    Everytime a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings. Everytime a mouse traps snaps, an angels set on fire. - J. Handey

i'm sure if you PM BraadaJim he'll hook you up with some.

Comment

Yeah Jim gets these requests all the time. I busted a couple of mine after having it a short time and removing it/putting it back on seat till I got the hang of how its supposed to work. Just remember for future reference, slow consistent bend of the tabs to form them right the first time and then they'll stay put..continuous bending and rebending will result in more broken ones.

I had a few spares but Bob already got first dibs on em. Drop Jim a PM and he'll be able to hook you up as soon as soon as possible.

Comment

To keep the tabs from breaking, all you have to do is heat the tabs up, and the aluminum will then stay bendable, and won't break like that. I used a torch to heat mine (the kind that uses that bottle of propane that you would get at a hardware store) but a stove top would work just as well. Heat until red, allow to cool and walaa! Don't over heat it though, or you will melt the aluminum.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I only bent them a couple of times, they were bent from a former fitting when I bought it (used/unpainted off a former Kat owner who smashed into a deer late last year, he's OK BTW). I was over zealous in fitting it and broke them.

I'll PM Jim.
          Everytime a bell rings, an angel gets it's wings. Everytime a mouse traps snaps, an angels set on fire. - J. Handey

Comment

So how long do you heat them up... when they hit red for 1 second let them cool of kind of thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghir
              So how long do you heat them up... when they hit red for 1 second let them cool of kind of thing?
              Yeah, that should be good enough. After they cool for a second, you can always dunk them in water or something to cool them off real quick if you are in a hurry.
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
              X