X

Z6 or D208

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z6 or D208

After most of yours posts about tires I have a doubt: Metzeler Z6 or Dunlop D208 ?
    120/70 and 160/60
    GSX 750 F, 2004.
    I'm more touring than a race rider, but I want to be sure when sharp cornering, and the price is big issue... Here (Croatia, Europe) is Z6 set about 350$, and D208 set about 250$...
    However, I presume that Z6 will last about 13 000 - 15 000 kms, and D208 about 7000 - 10 000 kms...
    Yours experience? Yours suggestions?

If it was my choice and the riding you plan on doing I would spend the extra and get the Z6's.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

I haven't ridden the Z6's so I cannot comment on them but I did run some 208's for a while and was really impressed with them. Front cupped up a little fast but I never had any grip problems with them wet or dry, single or 2up, riding hard. Not the most aggressive tire around for sure but very good for most riding conditions.
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I'd go with the Z6, but see if you can find a cheaper source (maybe ride to Austria or Italy for the weekend and buy/mount them there?)

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

To Zuki & Cyber: just curious, why Z6?

Comment

My reasons for preferring the Z6:

(A) Lifespan, both theoretical and real. Dunlops tend to scallop early on me, while I can ride the Metzelers to the end of their useful life without that kind of problem. That means while the Metzelers last a bit longer from a compound point of view, they last a lot longer without affecting my handling negatively.

(B) Grip. The Z6's grip better IMHO, both in terms of braking and in terms of handling. I can press a set of Z6's to a deeper lean comfortably without any feeling of the tire wanting to wash-out than I can with the Dunlops.

(C) Wet weather/foul-weather riding. The Z6's really stand out as the superior tire in these situations.

(D) Triple-arc radius design of the Z6 means it makes the Kat (at least the 98+ kats) more maneuverable, let it change direction faster/harder.

If you can find the Pirelli Diablo Stradas cheaper, they are almost identical to the Z6 in every sense (minor differences in the tread pattern) -- might be a way to save some Euros and still end up with the better tire.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

How much more grip can I expect compared to the factory Dunflop Sportmax's and should I up the rear tire to a 160/60/17 . I'm having trouble deciding the what tires to purchase.
              Gripp & Regripp

Comment

Originally posted by Gripp
                How much more grip can I expect compared to the factory Dunflop Sportmax's and should I up the rear tire to a 160/60/17 . I'm having trouble deciding the what tires to purchase.
                I haven't tried the SportMax's, so I can't comment directly, but I found the Z4/Z6 to have better traction than any of the Dunlops I have run. No, skip the 160 size if the brand & make you want is available in a 150/70ZR17 and you're riding in the real world (not tracks). If you want to know why, read this:

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks Cyber and thank you all... Now, I just have to buy them...

Comment

Working...
                  X