X

a new tire question, i think

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a new tire question, i think

So, I ordered my Pirellis from that free tire offer, and the rear will be here in a week or so then the front a couple weeks after that. Well, cuz I am Karma's hackey sack (little drew carey for you all) my rear tire popped as I was parking my bike after a 200 or so mile ride, figures. The question is if I can put the new rear on with the old front until the new front arrives. I'm assuming not and that patience is probably the key right now, but if anybody knows differently, I'd be happy to hear that too.
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

you can do it, you just need to remember depending on the mileage on the front that your running a brand new and a not so new tire. As well as possibly 2 different makes of tire and therefor tread paterns and rubber compound.
    Kyle

Comment

At the speeds YOU'LL probably be riding , I wouldn't worry TOO much about it , unless the tires are RADICALLY different . But since you're running the stock front .... I wouldn't worry TOO much about it . Hey , I know someone with a tire-changing station not too far from you . Maybe for some pizza they'd consider helping you change them out ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I think it was Taz last year that was running a stock tire in the front and what was it a Metz. or Pilot on the rear and he was riding as hard as anyone with no problems. But yes, different tires can cause some handling concerns but many people do it and have no problems. Just be careful and make sure your tires are nice and warm before you do any type of aggressive riding especially.

Comment

I've ridden different sets of tires before on the Kat, and never really had any concerns. For a while, I ran a Z6 front with the Avon 46 rear, and it was just dandy. (Two flats within a couple weeks of each other!) I've also ridden the stock front with a Pilot Road rear, and while that just felt plain odd (the stocker was junk), it's still do-able to a degree.

However, I don't REALLY recommend running the stockers at all! Really, if the front is showing some pretty good wear then it might be a good idea to just wait it out.

(This is where CP joins in with his bible-like explanations of treadwear, problems, sizes, etc.)
          FrankenKat 1216
          GS Fiter 816
          GSXR750! (race)

Comment

I got my paperwork out to Pirelli a couple days ago, need to check if they got it, but then its another 4-6 weeks for delivery, and well, the weather is turning nice and i just don't want to wait that long. *throws patience out the window*
            None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
            -Robert Morrison

"
            well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

I wanted in on that free deal also but I didn't think it would take that long. I guess I'll have to buy both because I need them now. Thanks for letting us know the time frame on the front one.
              "Stupid is as stupid does" - Forset Gumps Mama

Comment

Free Tire Offer?
                What Free tire Offer?
                Where free tire offer?
                Info needed?

Thanks
                An Ole man once said:"It is better to be thought a fool because of silence, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt"

Comment

Originally posted by DooD
                  (This is where CP joins in with his bible-like explanations of treadwear, problems, sizes, etc.)
                  The answers are here:

and here:

Odds are, unless you know what you're feeling for/looking for, it won't bother you. Just take it extra slow in the rain, on sand and anything else where the front "sweeps" the road for the rear.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X