No announcement yet.
X

Who has replaced a chain and sprocket?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has replaced a chain and sprocket?

I'm sure this has been posted in the past......too lazy to search.

Has anyone replaced there chain and sprockets? How hard/easy is it? What tools are needed? How long does this job take?
    Always take the long way home.

If you have an impact it's a walk in the park. The front sprocket is near impossible to get off without one. With one you could swap it out in an hour/maybe hour in a half being your first time...

Comment

Dude how the hell did you anodize your forks?! Is it anodize or did you use something else? Kick *ss!

Comment

Originally posted by guy2600
        Dude how the hell did you anodize your forks?! Is it anodize or did you use something else? Kick *ss!

Dupli -color.....I think that's what the stuff is called. Metalic Yellow.....lots of thin coats over a base silver. Looks different! 8)

Comment

Was it hard to apply? If you have a chance post a close up picture of it...

Comment

my chain and sprocket kit came today. I plan on changing the sprockets myself but will probably trailer the bike to a shop to have the chain installed. it takes a special tool to do it and I'd rather not risk trying to do it myself.

Comment

be sure to post after you do it... i'm a newbie and will probably have to do the same before summer is out.

Comment

Originally posted by guy2600
                Was it hard to apply? If you have a chance post a close up picture of it...
                If you can use spray paint....you can do it. I practised on scrap metal. So buy extra paint. The most important part is to lay down a nice base coat of Dupli-color silver. And lots of thin coats with 30min. drying time in between coats. Don't be in a rush.

Dupli-color is extremlt toxic, so wear a mask.

Remember, practise makes perfect.

If you click on my www and then click on the pictures, they will enlarge. 8)

Comment

k6a0t0 were are you getting your sprockets and chain?

I was just up in Burlington at Cycle City and they quoted me $60(cdn) each for the sprockets and a chain starts at $140+(cdn). That's $300 with tax .

Ronayers RK set at $170US(about $200 cdn) shipped is looking very attractive.
                  Kyle

Comment

Re: Who has replaced a chain and sprocket?

Originally posted by k6a0t0
                    I'm sure this has been posted in the past......too lazy to search.

Has anyone replaced there chain and sprockets? How hard/easy is it? What tools are needed? How long does this job take?
                    I'm in the middle of replacing them on my '89. I got stopped because I have wheels from an '88 which means my rear sprocket doesn't fit (oops), but from past experience I'd say I could do it in three hours, from running bike to running bike.

The hardest part is going to be the front sprocket. I used a 1/2" drive breaker bar with the handle to my floor jack slipped over the end of it. I sat on the bike like normal, pressed on the rear brake as hard as I could and just lifted that breaker bar until the nut busted loose. It still had factory threadlocking on it but it came off without too much of a hassle. After that it's just pulling the rear wheel, taking off the bolts between the sprocket and hub, then bolting everything back up. Then attach new chain, feed it through the sprockets, attach the master link, set chain slack and you're good to go.
                    Life is short and uncertain: eat your dessert first and ride every day.

Comment

Originally posted by woobie

I was just up in Burlington at Cycle City and they quoted me $60(cdn) each for the sprockets and a chain starts at $140+(cdn). That's $300 with tax .

hey woobie I got mine from bike bandit for $133 US shipped. that was the best price I saw including ron ayers. it was a kit that includes both sprockets (VORTEX) and gold chain (RK).

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob

hey woobie I got mine from bike bandit for $133 US shipped. that was the best price I saw including ron ayers. it was a kit that includes both sprockets (VORTEX) and gold chain (RK).
                        Thanks for the info. I wont be putting ANY miles on the kat until I get a new chain, and sprockets. Shoulda been done the end of last year but I kept putting it off.

Did you keep the stock gearing?

Comment

I'll have to see how they ship up here, or if they use my PO box adress in the US .
                          Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau

Thanks for the info. I wont be putting ANY miles on the kat until I get a new chain, and sprockets. Shoulda been done the end of last year but I kept putting it off.

Did you keep the stock gearing?
                            well sort of. I had 15/45 and changed to 15/47

Comment

I just paid $64 for a 44T steel, $30 for a 16T steel, and $160 for the D.I.D. 530VM X-ring (120 link) chain. At a stealership! (I'm still having trouble believing that I went there!)
                              FrankenKat 1216
                              GS Fiter 816
                              GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Working...
                              X