X

HID Conversion on my 99 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID Conversion on my 99 Kat

Hey I just installed a 6000k HID conversion on my 99 Kat. Before installing I searched the forums and notice that no one had really written about it and I saw that in one post they said that there was a chance of melting your housing. Well I would like to say that the HID Conversion is hot! The look is amazing and clean looking. The Housing does get hot but not hotter then the halogen H4 bulbs would get it. I have pictures but they don't really show now nice it looks and now much more visability you get with them. FYI I bought an H4 kit for cars since our Katanas use 2 bulbs. The HID hasn't drain my battery. They actually don't seem that bright when u turn the key but once you turn the bike on they get brigther.
    Attached Files

just how much better is the viewing area and how hard was it to install? Thinking about doing this on my wife's 99 Kat
    ALWAYS THE REAL!!!!

93ZX11D Candy Wine Red
    Cardon Fiber D&D Full Exhaust,
    Vortex Sprockets 1dwn frnt 2up back
    She looks like Hell but is a True Battle Cat!
    no pun intended
    07ZX10 Special Edition Stock
    09ZX14 in the making Need a lil more$$$1st
    99Kat600 Custom Paint By Kali's AirBrushing, Chrome rims, Chrome GrabBar,Chrome Kickstand, Chrome Heel Gaurds, Braada Cowl,Lowered,Mesh Mod, More mods & Chrome to come

Comment

i'd be checking everything daily for a while, everything about HIDs run very hot-including the transformers. i don't know how well your wiring will hold up to that over time. keep us posted.

Comment

Installation was a easy and fast. To make the job easier i took of the covers. All teh wiring is plug and play if you buy an H4 conversion kit. What i did was to stick the ballast in front on top of the headlight. Right by in the area with the little cover wit the little light and the suzuki decal on it. the fit was just perfect for the ballast. The wires are heavy plastic considering the the ballast converters your power to a really high voltage. Just to make sure people don't misunderstand that the ballast just creates a very high power to turn on the xenon bulb and then just runs it at 35 watts which is less then your halogen bulb. The viewing area is brighter and more visable. The better thing as well is that at night cars notice easier where you are cuz of the light. It doesn't blind the drivers but makes you noticable which always is a plus for our safety.

Comment

Curious:

Which brand kit did you go with?
          How much did it set you back?
          EDIT: Also, did you go with a hi-low switchable H4 or is it now low-beam only?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Also, do you have access to one of them temp guns? I am curious to know the temp with the regular H4 bulbs to the HID. Not the light's itself, but the housing. I had always thought about doing that to my kat, but was afraid of the high heat issue.

Also, are you headlights still adjustable? (Left, Right, Up, Down)
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

I actually don't have one but just by touching the housing after a while of it being on i would say they run around the same but that way is not very accurate. The headlight is fully adjustable.

Comment

Does your H4 conversion kit include a new reflector and lens to correctly focus the beam from the HID's different shape light source?

Read about the optical problems with HID conversion kits at http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html

To improve my vehicles' lighting I install higher-efficiency halogen H4 bulbs, possibly higher wattage too but only if fed by a beefy new relay circuit.

Comment

I'm curious as to how the Eclipse SCMR16, a self contained balast HID lights would work.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy
                    I'm curious as to how the Eclipse SCMR16, a self contained balast HID lights would work.
                    I'd love to see the beam patterns from those...
                    Hella also has micro-HIDs available now, as well as the introduction of a HID-driven version of their FF75 (but not at anything approaching that price -- $150? Wow, that's low!).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hmmm...I just bought the PIAA 5000K super plasma bulbs....apparently they're supposed to be as bright as HID...but I won't really know until I get the bike back together!
                      FrankenKat 1216
                      GS Fiter 816
                      GSXR750! (race)

Comment

i want some HIDs
                        Is that your bike outside? I ride.... competitively.

Comment

Originally posted by DooD
                          Hmmm...I just bought the PIAA 5000K super plasma bulbs....apparently they're supposed to be as bright as HID...but I won't really know until I get the bike back together!
                          I'll ruin the ending now:

They might be brighter than what you're used to, but they don't put out anything close to the type of candlepower a set of HIDs would.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Where can you buy a HID conversion kit for a Katana, either pre (single) or post (double) style? It will need new optics, not just a replacement light source with a P43t base. Without new HID-specific optics, you're wasting your money because poor beam control means less light where you need it than with a good quality Halogen or Xenon bulb, and you're endangering yourself by dazzling other roadway users. Read about the problems with conversion kits.

Since I strongly doubt any such kit is available, your HID options are restricted to add-on auxiliary lamps from Hella/Optilux.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                              I'd love to see the beam patterns from those...
                              Hella also has micro-HIDs available now, as well as the introduction of a HID-driven version of their FF75 (but not at anything approaching that price -- $150? Wow, that's low!).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Well that's for just one I believe. At first I thought it was for a pair, but then I put "1" in the cart and it said it was a "single" quantity. So I believe it means just one for $150.

And it doesn't give squat about dimensions. I suppose emailing them would be necessary.
                              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                              X