Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Just wanted to make sure these are the right Roadtec Metz's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wanted to make sure these are the right Roadtec Metz's?

Front METZELER 120/70ZR-17 M/C 58W Z6

Rear METZELER 150/70ZR-17 M/C 69W Z6

The ones at Ron Ayers seem to be a great price.

Z6 RDTEC 120/70ZR17 Front $89.32
    Z6 RDTEC 150/70ZR17 Rear $108.70

Thank you.

JCoria

Looks about right.

I'm on my second set of them .
    Kyle

Comment

Yup, that's them.

Make sure you figure in shipping costs when comparing tire prices -- often those with the lowest cost aren't always the lowest on the final cost to you.

I usually buy mine here:
      AmericanMotoTire.com - Metzeler Z6 direct link, with fronts at $89.32 and rears at $108.70, same price as you have listed -- but I know they stock them (RonAyers normally orders from the mnf to fulfill -- double check before ordering to see if it's an on-hand item).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thank you.

thanks mates. I am looking forward to the Rally, my first. Since I live in the area, I will go and practice some to become more familiar with the ride.

JCoria

Comment

Yup great tires, perhaps 160 on the back? I like my setup that way
          Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

is that a slightly fatter tire?

is the 160 a fatter tire? does it affect how the bike handles?

JC

Comment

I like it if you check out the threads, I think it goes into turns wayyyy better, not sure if its just the brand tire or fatter, more curve aspect like the threads say. I'm sure CyberPoet could drop the knowledge on ya. Like the 160 though!
              Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

Originally posted by jcoria
                is the 160 a fatter tire? does it affect how the bike handles?
                Originally posted by seypea
                I like it if you check out the threads, I think it goes into turns wayyyy better, not sure if its just the brand tire or fatter, more curve aspect like the threads say. I'm sure CyberPoet could drop the knowledge on ya. Like the 160 though!
                160 is 10mm wider across the face in theory. It's also wider at the mounting flanges, and shouldn't be used on a pre-98 Kat that still has the stock wheels.

As for handling:
                A wider tire gives you a slightly bigger foot print, which is good for keeping traction when accelerating (any direction) and straight-line braking on a dry/clean surface. It also tends to run hotter because of the inherent distortion of wedging it into a wheel opening designed for a 150 tire.

The narrower tire handles better (sharper angles on the tire face, weighs less), and will tend to handle wet-weather and dirty-surface braking better (because there is more loading of the tire/road interface in terms of weight). It will also hydroplane less because it will cut the water better (narrower again).
                My advice is to stick to the narrowest tire you can reasonably use, which is the OEM sizes for the 98+, and then find a great tire in that size, which the Z6 is. Your choices were spot on.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The difference for me is night and day from my stock 150 to my Pilot power 160/60 on the rear. The cornering is quicker, easier, and much more confidence inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                    The difference for me is night and day from my stock 150 to my Pilot power 160/60 on the rear. The cornering is quicker, easier, and much more confidence inspiring.
                    Me thinks that's the change from OEM tires to Pilots, not specifically the size.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i have only 450 miles on my stock dunlops, the feel okay for now, what can I expect mileage wise out of them and when should i purchase the new metzs?

jCoria

Comment

Originally posted by jcoria
                        i have only 450 miles on my stock dunlops, the feel okay for now, what can I expect mileage wise out of them and when should i purchase the new metzs?
                        IMHO:
                        The best way to handle this (and what I've done with every Kat I've bought) is to unmount the OEM tires (Macadams or Dunlops), put them up on eBay and replace them with the Metzelers. I already have the listing for eBay written up, if you want to simply reuse it (no effort involved ), and if you sell them just as the weather warms back up in the northern states, you'll make enough to offset at least 80% of the mail order price for the Metzelers.

But that's just my opinion. The stock Dunlops tend to scallop early (uneven treadblock wear), and most riders who get rid of them do so long before they reach their maximum potential mileage because of this. Running them at higher than stock pressures will help if you decide to keep them.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                        X