Tire changer ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire changer ?

Just a quick question.

Does anybody here have the harbor freight tire changer? And if so, how well does it work for motorcycle tires?

Princess auto up here in Canada has what looks to be the same thing on sale for $55.55, and I just wanted to know how well it'l work on mc tires.

Heres the link for the princess auto one click

and heres the link for the harbour freight one
    click

any input on this?

The one from Harbor Freight works pretty good. You need some decent tire irons though, as I don't think it comes with any. And I'm sure you know this, but you need to get the motorcycle tire adapter.

Comment

We got one at Jason's garage . Playing with it now . It don't seem TOO easy to use , and I could see easily scratching the hell outta rims if you're not careful . Biggest problem is getting that stupid valve stem in . But getting the old tire off ain't too bad .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I purchased the tire change and motorcycle add-on from Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago. I tossed in another tire iron (it was $8.99 or so) and have used the setup on both tires for my Kat. So yes, it does work, but it really should be bolted down on something. Also, you need a minimum of three tire irons, or possibly two if you're really creative with a C-clamp or two.

It's a lot more grunting and swearing than I expected, but it will pay for itself soon enough.

Oh, to reduce the risk of rim-scratching, I used Plasti-Dip on the things that hold the rim and a cut-up gallon milk container for rim protectors. Seems to work alright!
        Life is short and uncertain: eat your dessert first and ride every day.

Comment

Dip's a good idea . I might have to right that down . I was really worried about scratching a rim that way . 'Specially if it weren't one of ours .

Comment

Allright. I picked it up. Probably give it a try this weekend on an atv tire, see how it works.

as for changing bike tires, I kinda wish I never bought it . since I'll be building the motorcycle tire attachment myself, the rest of it is pretty much just a stand, and a bead breaker that looks kinda weak. Both of which I'll be beefing up anyway.

So i'll probably just leave it as is, either keep it for regular tires (doubt it) Or see if I can sell it locally and maybe recoup some of my money (more likely)

At least it didn't break the bank, just cost me a case of beer and a poker buy in

I'll update this thread with pics when I get started

Comment

the bead breaker on them isnt weak it works just fine ive broke the beeads all sort of tiress with mine only problem i had was not having it bolted to the floor or a sheet of ply wood at first after i bolted it to the garage floor no problems at all and welded the motorcycle attachment up to make it stiffer its a lil wobbly mainly the upper rod holder thing but with a lil creative thinkin you can make it a good changer.

Comment

Originally posted by sinfulkat
                the bead breaker on them isnt weak it works just fine ive broke the beeads all sort of tiress with mine only problem i had was not having it bolted to the floor or a sheet of ply wood at first after i bolted it to the garage floor no problems at all and welded the motorcycle attachment up to make it stiffer its a lil wobbly mainly the upper rod holder thing but with a lil creative thinkin you can make it a good changer.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/NoMarmainFrameset.html
                Thanks for the link sin. Great instructional videos on that site.

After looking at those videos, I think I'll have a go at making my own. Allready milling some ideas around.

As far as the bead breaker, I just thought it could use some lateral support. And maybe a gusset to strengthen the angle iron a bit. as shown in the picture below

It just seems like if you put too much pressure on it it might buckle. Other than that it looked fine.

I imagine it'll be fine the way it is, but i guess thats just a flaw of mine. I tend to overkill things when I build them

Comment

dan i wouldnt add the gusset on the lower angle other wise its gonna dig into the lip of the rim leaving a nasty gash

Comment

Originally posted by sinfulkat
                    dan i would add the gusset on the lower angle other wise its gonna dig into the lip of the rim leaving a nasty gash
                    Good point. Never thought of that. I still think the latteral bracing would help prevent it from racking though.

Comment

I've been using one for years, I've never paid to have a motorcycle tire mounted. As AHF said, get some decent tire irons. I also ditched the upper piece of the motorcycle attachment. I just use the lower part that holds the wheel and mount the tire with the irons alone. Scratching up wheels is all you'll manage with the large bar that comes with the changer. I only use the bar when I break the beads.

You'll have to bolt the changer down to something. I used wood the first time. Now I have threaded anchors in my garage floor so I can bolt it down.
                      I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I'm considering getting myself setup to change tires.

Do the motorcycle tires require any balancing?
                        Assuming Dan sees this, did you ever manage to change any tires on your own?

I've never changed tires before, but I'm looking at shelling out over $100 to get the tires for both bikes mounted.... that's with me taking them off the bike and schlepping them to the shop.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                          Biggest problem is getting that stupid valve stem in .
                          Pick up a pair of the billet valve stems I have for sale, and they'll be an once-in-a-lifetime install (good for at minimum of over a decade if installed per the instructions).

Originally posted by steves
                          Do the motorcycle tires require any balancing?
                          Yes, MC tires should always be balanced post-install. There are simple balancing rigs you can build for $20 - $25 that will do the job.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I now use metal stems I buy at a local car store . Less than $5 , and they work great .
                            Balancing is EASY , but a little time-consuming . Just slide the axle ONLY through the wheel in the swingarm or forks , make sure it doesn't touch anything , and give a little spin . You can figure out the rest , I'm sure .
                            But if NOT , here .....

Comment

I guess for me, it will end up depending on how much time I have to do everything.... If I run out of time I'll probably just end up paying to have it done.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X