X

Chicken Strip Blues!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Strip Blues!

As everyone knows, when a motorcyle rider looks at your "sportbike", one of the first things they look for is chicken strips. Here is my problem. During the summer I use my bike as my only transportation to work. It is 93 miles round trip on Interstate 77. Interstate = No twisties. After riding 465 miles a week on interstates, that is pretty hard to catch the sidewalls up on the wear on my 2 days off. Therefore I HAVE CHICKEN STRIPS! I run Avon Azaro Sport II Tires. 39 Series on front, 40 on rear. Is there a tire out there that would have a very hard compoud strip through the center of the tire to maximize wear, and a softer compound on the outer edges to give you the performance needed for those other 2 day weekends? Any help or comments appreciated.

I've never heard of a dual compound tire. you might want to try a more commuter friendly tire though. something rated for higher mileage.

Comment

I would think the Metz Z6 or Diablo Strada's would wear better for your highway riding and still have plenty of gripp for your weekend fun.
      I have never run neither of these tires but I have heard great things about the both of them.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Bridgestone BT012SS's are dual compound. I thought they sucked personally but a buddy of mine absolutely loved them! They definitely worked well, but I was never comfortable on them.
        Less weight is more power!!

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred
          I would think the Metz Z6 or Diablo Strada's would wear better for your highway riding and still have plenty of gripp for your weekend fun.
          I have never run neither of these tires but I have heard great things about the both of them.
          I've never run these particular tires either (I'm on straight Diablos) but the general concensus around the board seems to be that they are both great tires designed for exactly the kind of riding your talking about. Look up Cyberpoet and MD86 or maybe they'll pipe in here. I am pretty sure Cyber is running the Z6's and would be happy to give or guide you to a full review. MD86 is running the Stradas and seems to be real happy with them.
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

When searching for new tires last year I ran into some dual compound tires that are extremely hard in the center and grippy on the outside and some that are the other way around. Just find some guys around that go drag race their motorcycles alot. They never told me the brand but when I see them again I will ask. I'm pretty sure it was an off brand tire cause these guys go through lots of tires always racing and stuff. Later ~Heath

Comment

Michelin power race offer have two compounds

Click here

I think it's abit over the top for the kat though

I'd go with the z6's though. Good wear properties, and plenty of grip.

Myself, I'm running pilot powers. My rear tyre is pretty much shot. I did a few long highway trips in the summer heat and squared it off. The front is still good though. I'll be putting a new rear on before the season. but when My front wears out I'll be putting z6's on. The powers are really soft, and while they offer amazing grip in the dry AND in the rain, I just didn't get that many miles out of it. And for the type of riding I do, I don't really need them. If I rode hard all the time, constantly at the edge of the tire, I'd be on a different bike better suited to the task. I need something that will last a whole season, not half of one.

Comment

There is a dual compoud tire....
                In several mixes.. damned if I can remember who makes them but it is a big name..
                It has just what you discribe a harder center patch with a softer edge..

AVON AZARO II SPORT AV40
                seems for one to be what you are looking for

Comment

CHeng shin or Shinko's I think both offer the dual compound, I know the Cheng Shin do I called the guy today. He said the center is quite abit harder to be able to do burnouts and get it sticky while the outside edge allows you to run the corners.

Comment

Wow.

I can't believe how many responses I recieved in regards to my questions. I will be searching later on the suggestions made here. hanks everyone. So they do make dual compound tires heh? Something I will begin my quest to find. hanks again to everyones input! No wonder THIS IS THE BEST KAT SITE ON THE WEB!

Comment

Personaly I would stay away from the CHeng shin or Shinko's, They are not the best tire to run on the Kat.

Comment

I've got 6000 miles on the Shinko Raven right now and its alot better than the crapadam but still not quite as sticky as i would have hoped but the triple arc design instead of single helped turn in drastically. Still not to the wear bars either and i'm in tx lots of chip sealed roads if you know what that means (eats tires) ~Heath

Comment

Re: Chicken Strip Blues!

Well now that you've gotten the serious answers to your question..... and I've never heard anything good about the Cheng Shin tires either BTW,... I just can't resist making a comment about this

Originally posted by 97GSX600F
                          As everyone knows, when a motorcyle rider looks at your "sportbike", one of the first things they look for is chicken strips. Here is my problem.
                          Yes, that is a problem! Your not seriously worried about what someone thinks when they look at your tires are you? I doubt it and hope not but just so it's been said. Anyone who thinks a chicken strip is the gauge of a rider also probably believes that the louder a bike is the faster it goes.
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

This is the thread where I got my info on the Cheng Shin tire..

Comment

yeah i see what you mean about the cheng shin, but i don't think they make the shinko do they?? I like the shinko being that it was only 76 bucks shipped for the rear 160/60 but traction wise, i would like stickier my main riding is with friends in twisties and even though i ride harder than they do on their supersports it gets a little hairy in the turns. Also the Cheng Shin's I saw with the drag racing compounds and such were not bias ply they were radials Z rated I didn't check the weight rating however they were putting them on a GSXR1000 and a Busa. I'll have to agree the cost of my last tire was a little cheap but i'm in college so i didn't have much money. I'm going to the 208's this time around and may find something in between the next time if they wear down too quick. Later ~Heath

Comment

Working...
                              X