X

Where to buy tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to buy tires

I was just wondering where everyone buys tires at. I noticed between ron ayers and americanmototire.com there was only a 6 dollar difference. However i know ron ayers may take a little longer on shipping. I was just wondering where everyone orders theres from, just curious since i need to order some.

Jay
    2000 Kat 600 only mod is the D&D that came with it more to come soon though. Crash virginity lost 11/25/05....the rebuildin comes next HAHA

americanmototire is very popular, that's where I was planning on buying mine till I decided to go through cycle gear instead due to getting a killer deal at the time of a grandopening of one of their new shops.

Comment

I've ordered 2 sets now from ronayers. The second set arrived withing a week and that was over a long weekend in the US.
      Kyle

Comment

Over the years, I've used a number of vendors. Last two times, AmericanMotoTire.com and they came through (one set of tires went off to a FedEx storage facility in Ohio and sat for a week, before being redirected to me -- but that was FedEx's fault and not AmericanMotoTire's).

Other's that I trust for tires:
        www.chaparral-racing.com -- these guys were my standard go-to for years, always had stuff I wanted even when no one else in the USA did (they must have a huge warehouse), but they raised their tire prices about the same time AmericanMotoTire showed up, so they lost my tire business.
        DennisKirk.com

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've been fighting with myself about this very thing.
          Although I can buy online as well, The fact remains that, yes Ican install them myself, I can't balance them. I have to rely on one of the local servicer's to do this for me. And so here's the issue. They aren't really willing to do this for me without having purchased the tires from them. I also would be paying a hefty price for this work like $40. bucks, when if I buy tires from them they'll do it for a nominal fee.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'd have to save a ton of money on tires inorder to make it worth while.

Ya, know what I mean.
          "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by BobKat2002
            I guess what I'm saying is, I'd have to save a ton of money on tires inorder to make it worth while.
            I understand. It took some shopping to find a local shop who would mount 3rd party tires for me at a reasonable cost on bike (as verses to bring just bringing the wheels in) -- and, yes, I know I look like a goof riding through traffic with a pair of brand new tires around my waist...

For a while, CycleGear had a dirt cheap tire mounting price, but they just phased in a two-tier mounting price ($12 to $15 if it's their tire, $32 for outside tires). Still, with their rack prices being lower than most, that's not a bad deal either.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I just called my local 'zuki shop where I do most of my business, to get a idea of prices.

Bridgestone Battleaxe BT020,
              Rear 160/60/17 Reg. 239.00 Sell $175.00
              Front 120/70/17 Reg. 189.00 Sell $130.00
              PLus some straight labour to install and balance.
              (incudes looking things over like bearings and pads and such.

Probably gonna need pads. I usually change em myself but since he's there it would only cost like 15 minutes labour.

And I may as well change the plugs, oil and filter, Air filter. Compression check.

Gawd!
              "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Ya, know what I mean.
                I'm lucky that I live near the border. But here's some examples

Local dealer pair of Z6s $450 cdn before taxes and mounting. Mounting can be up to $99 depending on dealer, taxes are 15%. Now some but not all dealers will give a 10-15% discount for buying a set of tires.

Ronayers $220 US shipped to US mailbox. I drove across the border (hour round trip) and paid $19 cdn tax at the border for about $260 cdn for the set and let's say $10 in gas.

On a local forum ( http://www.beaverdamsracing.com/phpbb2/index.php) there's a guy (superdave) everyone always recommmeded when ever work was needed. He's a trucker but has been into bikes for years and has a very well stocked back yard shop with all the tools and more importantly the knowledge to use them.

I was able to have my tires mounted for $15 cdn. I helped mount them, he did the balancing but I was able to see the whole process and how relatively easy it can be with the right knowledge and tools.

So for under $300 cdn I was able to get a set of new tires installed, unless it's close out no dealer can touch that price. Even the US dealers on the other side of the border were almost the same price as the canadian ones for getting tires and mounting.

If you hit the Maritime based bike sites you night babale to find someone locally who will do as good a job as the dealer, just cheaper.

BTW there's a t dealer out of NB is suppose to have excellent prices, J bourque or Borque. I also see reference on the gta site to "productfinder" and cheap tires out of the Maritimes, not sure who or what that is but it's worth a look.
                Kyle

Comment

I just called my local 'zuki shop where I do most of my business, to get a idea of prices.

Bridgestone Battleaxe BT020,
                  Rear 160/60/17 Reg. 239.00 Sell $175.00
                  Front 120/70/17 Reg. 189.00 Sell $130.00
                  PLus some straight labour to install and balance.
                  (incudes looking things over like bearings and pads and such.

Probably gonna need pads. I usually change em myself but since he's there it would only cost like 15 minutes labour.

And I may as well change the plugs, oil and filter, Air filter. Compression check.

Gawd!
                  In your case Ronayers insn't worth it, those tires are 244.84 US or 284.969 cdn so after taxes you'd only be save $20 or so then get nailed with a higher mounting fee.
                  Kyle

Comment

So i was looking at the most popular places huh? So if i go with either one i should be fine. Ill probably go with ron ayers since they were the ones who were 6 dollars cheaper, plus i ordered alot of other stuff from them so i trust them. thanks guys

Jay
                    2000 Kat 600 only mod is the D&D that came with it more to come soon though. Crash virginity lost 11/25/05....the rebuildin comes next HAHA

Comment

Keep in mind that Dennis Kirk will beat any published tire price (shipping included) by a dollar.

Comment

For those individuals looking for a good deal on a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT-020s, I purchased a both the front and back tires for $159.95 US (not a typo) from the following vendor:

They were selling them as recently as January 12th but I can't guarantee this will be the price or the tires will be available (see link below).

They shipped to Canada via FedEx but be aware the FedEx will try to nail you will a significant brokerage fee. They send it to you a week or so after delivery.
                        "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

this place offers free shipping with a 2 tire order. i know someone who has used them with no problems at all.

Comment

ONE WORD OF WARNING:

Calculate shipping costs in when comparing prices. A lot of firms have learned to low-ball tires and raise S&H to offset it -- so compare final price to final price (go through the order process and stop before you enter your credit card to figure it out).

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thats what i was doing cyber, thats where i noticed ron ayers was 6 dollars cheaper. American moto tire was cheaper on the tires but worse on shipping. Whenever i compare internet prices shipping is always included.

Jay

Comment

Working...
                              X