X

need help with tires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with tires

would a 80 or 90 with a smaller sidewall fit on a 01 600 kat? is there any downside to switching to a bigger tire? thanks guys!!

80 is smaller the second number in a tire size i.e 150 80 17 is the aspect ratio or the % of the width in height

Comment

(A) An 140/80ZR17 and possibly even a 150/80ZR17 could be made to fit, and it may give benefit in terms of highway smoothness (by sucking up more little bumps without involving the suspension), but would worsen the handling by quite a bit.

(B) Unless you are trapped between a rock and hard place with the only tire vendor in town only have 80's, don't go that route. 90's would be even worse in terms of handling, requiring you to slow way way down for turns to prevent the rubber from folding under your front tire.

(C) Many 80's and 90's are bias tires, and you should never run bias tires on your 98+ Kat (and preferably not on any bike where there is an option).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: need help with tires

Originally posted by eptkat
        is there any downside to switching to a bigger tire? thanks guys!!
        just understand that tire width does not deermine the size of the contact patch
        KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Perhaps you're also not understanding the numbering scheme.

Example: 150/70ZR17 W69

see http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4293 for more details.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I think....

He ment, a 180 or a 190 tire with a smaller side wall.

Answer: No, they will not fit.
            1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
            2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
            Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

The handling is affected the bigger you go as well, so if you can make it fit, beware when you first start riding it will feel much different.

Comment

when I got my bike the kid had a 160-60-17 on the stock rim trust me you dont wont to put a tire on the rim that much biger look at the 208 in the pic thats not chicken strips thats how square it was not good

Comment

Working...
                X