X

where's the spare?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where's the spare?

after having my pilot powers on my 01 600 for about 2000 miles, i find that i have a flat after coming out of my class yesterday at 8PM... theres no place to get a bike tire fixed and the area is probably the worst part of town... so i hope for the best and leave it there until morning...

anyways, it was still there this morning and i had it towed 5 miles to the nearest place to get it fixed...

long story short, i love the pilot powers, but replacing the rear and the tow totaled $300! not price gouging, but $170 tire, $40 mounting, $65 tow, and misc adds up...

just something to keep in mind if you go with the powers, dont ever get a flat! really ruins christmas...

Trust me I know your pain..
    I am on my 3rd new rear tire forthis season..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

(A) Need to become friends with somebody with a pick-up truck or a trailer that you can call when needed. Or at least learn to unmount your wheel on the spot and take it with you...

(B) You can find puncture repair kits at virtually any auto parts store. While these aren't good solutions for the long term, they will usually let you get to your destination (in this case, home & then a tire shop) -- as long as you remember to also have some way of reinflating the tire once you plug it. You may have been in the bad part of town, but it would have been worse half-way between Nowhere and BFE with no traffic.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Re: where's the spare?

Originally posted by ndn
        so i hope for the best and leave it there until morning...
        eeep....

Another option is to pump it up as best you can at the site (ask people if they have a foot pump or mini compressor in their car etc), then ride to the nearest Gas Station. Pump it up to a few psi above normal and ride to the next Gas Station... repeat until you get to tire repair place or home. Just take it real easy.

My wife had a decent sized puncture in her power a couple of weeks ago. We got from home to the tire shop just by pumping it up at home and then she rode it in one hit... about 20 minutes. It had dropped from 40psi to about 25psi by that point, but was still able to be ridden. We never have tires repaired, always toss them and buy a new one, so as long as only the old tire copped any problems we were happy. If it had been any further she would have topped up again, but the route we took had only 1 gas station on it and that was near home.
        fulcrum (aka David)
        Blue 2004 GSX750F
        Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.--Isaac Asimov
        If you can keep your head, while all around you are losing theirs, then you probably aren't grasping the situation

Crash virginity lost: March 6th 2005

Comment

dont jinx us

really though, bike flats are such a pain to deal with and can get very expensive. the 45.00 mounting isnt too bad of a price, the tow yeah they're gonna get you on that.. but 170.00 for the tire.. OUCH !!!!

Comment

Try Walmart.They have a pedal pump under $6.00 ... A friend of mine just bought one for his bike...Though he's got a crouiser bike with saddle bags... I'll asking to let me try it om my Kat...I'really don't think there is any space for much anyways,but I'm thinking on getting soem sport saddle bags for mine. I really like to be ready in case of an emaergency...,but that's me

Comment

Well , the plug kits come with co2 cartridges to fill up your tire once it's patched . Only pump I've seen that didn't take up too much space was one of those tiny ones for basketballs and junk . Dunno how well that'd work on a bike tire .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                (B) You can find puncture repair kits at virtually any auto parts store. While these aren't good solutions for the long term, they will usually let you get to your destination (in this case, home & then a tire shop) -- as long as you remember to also have some way of reinflating the tire once you plug it. You may have been in the bad part of town, but it would have been worse half-way between Nowhere and BFE with no traffic.
                thanks for the info cyber, i was wondering if i could limp along with a regular tire repair kit... i think at the very least i need to find a way to mount a small bicycle pump on the bike somewhere, or carry it with me all the time...

i would have just pulled the tire off to get it repaired, but when i bought by bike it had no centerstand... a junkyard wants a hundred bucks for one!

thx for the comments all, hopefully ill have something for the next time!

Comment

You can carry a bicycle pump (long style) under the rear fairings if needed -- it's a pain to get them there and get them out, but if you work on the basis that the only time you need them is for a flat (and use another pump the rest of the time), it would do fine. Zip ties to hold it to the rear subframe.

Someone else around here recently installed a proper 12 volt inflator motor somewhere inside their front fairings in the big hollow area on the 98+ units (others have used this area for air horns, etc). Either search for the thread or hope they'll chime in here.

As for CO2 cartridges, I'd think (guess) it'd probably take three to five of them to inflate the rear tire to anything close to 30 psi if it was down around zero psi (and another 3 to take it up to 36 - 38 psi), which makes it pretty much a non-viable option in my mind... When I'm road-tripping, I carry a proper footpump ($12 Walmart, with gauge built-in) in the saddlebags.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yah ..it sucks to have a flat tire. Everytime I ride, I have this thoughts in the back of my head. I don't even know what would I do.

Regarding an the Air Pump:
                    A friend of mine bought a small electric air pump that is used with the cigarate lighter in the car. He stripped out the plastice casing, and replaced the connectors with some clambs. The overall size is pretty small and it fits under the seat.
                    Once you take off the plastice casing, the actual pump size is very small, and you can connect it to the battery and used it.

I have one that I keep it in my car, I probably going to do what he did, and use it for the Kat.

Comment

Working...
                    X