X

Attaching Mesh Mod

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching Mesh Mod

I've heard a lot of people talking about attaching their mesh mod using JB weld and at least once using Goop adhesive. I'm curious if anyone has a secure way of attaching the mesh to the farings so that it could be removed if desired in order to paint it a different color or repair it if it is damaged. I sincerely doubt JB weld would accomplish this, but I'm not sure about the Goop. Anyone have a better alternative?

I don't see why you couldn't attach some small tabs to the inside of the fairing. May the tabs plastic and weld them inside. The you could use screws or something to attack the mesh. Just my 2 cents.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

Finished product

Welded two tabs onto my expanded steel

The grey stuff is a product calle "tech steel". Sticks to almost anything, dries hard, and can be drilled and tapped. I molded two blobs to the fairing where i wanted them (under the tabs on the mesh) and pressed the mesh over them to flatten them out. Waited till it dried, then used the mesh to mark, and drill my holes. I then tapped it to accept tiny screws

It's actually pretty amazing how well it will hold a thread. For a test, I tapped a 1/4" thick piece with a 1/4"-20 thread. held the tech steel in a vise, threaded in a bolt held with vise grips and pulled. I couldn't break the thread loose if I tried.

Finished product from the back

I only did one opening, just to see how this method works. It will work fine, but there really isn't enough depth around the other openings for enough threads for my liking (I tend to overkill stuff when I build).

When I go to re-do this (not on this bike though) I will bury the screws into the tech steel before I mount, and then use nylon lock nuts to secure it. This stuff doesn't shrink/expand while it cures, so I'll have no problem with the screw spinning loose after it cures. Plus I wouldn't use this type of mesh (opening too big I think). Only reason I used it was because I had a big sheet of it lying around. Plus it was galvanized which created a mess (and health hazard) when welding it, and had to be ground to remove the coating (made it look like crap).

hope that gives ya some ideas

Comment

Where did you get the "tech steel"
        "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" Andretti

Comment

Someone else used JB weld and I think bolts on the faring and then attached the mesh to it....they said they could remove the mesh whenever they wanted and put new mesh if they chose...do a search because the mesh mod has been addressed many times and you can see the different techniques people used...good luck..
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jbird2200
            Where did you get the "tech steel"
            We have a store up here call Princess Auto. It's kind of like Harbor Freight I guess you could say. Lots of cheap tools, surplus items and such. Basically a Toys'r'us taylor made for me

Comment

Thats a nice lookin job inside and out Dan ! Good idea w/ the tech steel !

Comment

Nice job this is the best display Ive seen here great pics

Comment

Thank You for the pics if it stops rainning here in NY I will be doing this mod
                  "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

Working...
                  X