Metzeler RoadTech Z6 vs Pirelli Diablo Strata

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metzeler RoadTech Z6 vs Pirelli Diablo Strata

Hello KatRiders,

I know that there are numberous postings related to both of these types of tires and also tire sizes but I've found it hard for me to combine all of this data together to make a final decision so I figured I'd post and see what you all have to say.

I recently picked up a 1999 Katana 600 with a very cupped front tire which needs to be replaced. After reading up I see that the Macadems are junk and that I should go ahead and replace both tires with something better. I've gathered that the majority favorite is the Z6, however it seems that the Diablo Strata is VERY similar to it and made by the same people.

I'm a poor college guy and I can pick up the Diablo Stratas for $19 less than the Z6s. So as far as everyone knows... would I be wise to go for the cheaper ones? I'm fairly new to riding and want something that I can feel comfortable learning to carve some corners on without the paranoia of losing traction (which I feel quite a bit with my current crappy tires). I do not want to get something that is overkill though that will wear out in a single season because I can't afford to keep getting new tires.

I'm pretty sure I'm stickign with the stock sizes (120/70/17 | 150/70/17) but I really do love the look of the wider tire and dont plan on riding in any heavy rain. I will be doing a decent amount of 2up riding with my fiance also. Any feedback would be great as I plan on ordering the tires this afternoon. Thanks.
    I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

I don't think that anyone has done a real comparison between the 2. I am thinking that they would be very comparable though. Go for the cheaper, and tell us what you think!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

I'll be a guinee pig I guess. I went ahead and ordered a pair of Pirelli Diablo Stratas (120/70/17|150/70/17) from americanmototire.com for $198.47 including shipping. I decided to stick with the stock size since I figure they probably fit the geometry of the bike a bit better and I really dont think that 10mm difference for the 160 width would be that much better looking or handling.
      I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Comment

I assume that you saw this thread, but just in case here it is http://www.katriders.com/forums/view...ghlight=strada.

I just picked up a set of Stradas. Why? you ask. The answer is simple it is because I like saying Strada with a bad Italian accent. So whenever people ask what kind of tires I have I can say strrraaaadddaa.

The Strada and the Z6 seem to be almost identical tires. I would go with which ever was cheaper and in stock. I got mine from Dennis Kirk. I took advantage of their beat it by a $1 policy. I got both tires for $202 and they took less than a week to get here.

Comment

I think you will find more Z6 posts merely for the fact that the Strada's have only recently come out. I really don't think you can loose going with either tire. I'm currently running the Z6s and will probably get the same again mainly because my front tire has lots of life left in it and right now I can get away with only changing the rear tire.

Do us all a favour. Give us your feedback on the strada's over the next few months.
          Kyle

Comment

I likes me Stradas . I think I might actually TRY to make them break traction sometime just to see what it'll take ... (read: they seem quite sticky to me .)
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Well after putting about 200+ miles on the new Diablo Stratas I have no complaints at all.

In fact, I have noticed a huge improvement in holding a line through corners. I can't wait to find some nice long curvy roads.

Comment

Working...
              X