X

Chain & sprockets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain & sprockets

Broke the chain on my 91 600f yesterday. I'm not sure but I think it possibly the orginal sprocket and chain at 21k. I was told I should replace both sprockets with the chain cause of wear patterns. Is that true or false? If I'm going to replace the sprockets then I was thinking I should put on a slightly bigger sprocket to improve acceleration, easy way to make my bike faster than my friend's F3. What size should I use? I don't want to completely kill my top end, but I don't plan on going over 140mph. Suggestions anybody.
    It's not speed that kills, it's trying to stop!

91 Katana 600f gunmetal and blue
    92 Mazda Miata (LANEWVR)
    New!! 81 Cadillac Coupe Deville
    http://photobucket.com/albums/c194/Devilln/

just go up one in the back. and you shouldnt notice too much of a difference but you will see it takes off a lil harder, also you can drop a tooth in the front. that would work as well. if you go down one up one, you can still order a stock chain. i went down 1 and up 2 and i had a stock chain plus one and a half link. and mysprocksers were like 60 bux (JT) and my chan was 75-80 DID

Comment

Change them all out at once . They wear together , so just changing one component will cause it to wear wear out MUCH quicker . And a -1 front sprocket is a good change . I don't know how much top end I may have lost (cause I've never gone over 110 on my bike) , but I doubt it's a ton . First gear goes by a bit quicker , though .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If you wernt hard on your bike then you dont "have" to change the sprockets. Take a look at them and see if they have visible wear or look bad. I had 21K on mine and they were perfect, didnt even have a dent. However, when my chain had a stretched link I did go one down in the front and 2 up in the rear fo my sprockets. Thus far only the rear is on and I still have had it to 120 something. But it definately wakes the bike up a little. Can't wait to put the front on.

By the way, in case some tells you that you have to or should switch to the 520 chain dont really listen. You save minimal weight (very minimal) and a 530 chain will last longer. Just some pointers I learned when I was ordering my chain.

Comment

If your chain snapped, then it's time to replace everything (sprockets and chain). Given the age of your bike, you may also want to replace the cush drive, which is a bunch of rubber under the sprocket designed to help absorb the impact of drive-line lash -- this rubber gets hard and brittle with age and heat.

For just about everything you could want to know about chains, including how to check for chain stretch, see CyberPoet's "Understanding Motorcycle Chain Wear and Maintenance" at MotorcycleAnchor.com, makers of superior 100% made-in-the-USA Motorcycle Ground Anchors!

As for the sprockets, you can check them very easily -- look at the teeth. A proper tooth will be even on both sides and have a flat top; a worn sprocket tends to have a wave shape (bent over towards one side, and/or concave wear on on side), pointy tip or uneven spacing between the various teeth.

KNOW THIS:
          steel is heavy but lasts significantly longer than even hardened aluminum because the strength of steel is through the whole sprocket and not just on the surface -- hardened/anodized aluminum can be stronger than steel, but that strength is only as deep as the anodizing goes.
          the best compromise of strength vs. weight is tri-metal sprockets, which combine a steel gear teeth ring with an aluminum carrier hub. Sidewinder sprockets makes a really good set of these.
          since the front sprocket is small and is not unsprung weight, there is no reason to ever use aluminum front sprockets on a 500lb Katana. Use steel front sprockets.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

good site, thanx for the info
            thanx, chris

Comment

Originally posted by PROBN4LIF
              good site, thanx for the info
              Thanks -- it's my site

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I see...
                Katana 750 2002

Comment

I went down one tooth in front last time I changed my chain/sprocket. Top speed now is indicated 150mph, which I would guess is really something like 135. With stock gearing, it would take the needle well beyond 160 on the speedo. It did make it accelerate noticeably faster, though.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I also went down one in the front. I have an 05 750. The speedo said I was going 155, but I am guessing from the chart that I believe Cyberpoet made, I am off about 8%, so the top speed was probably about 140-145mph. This was on a closed course with all the appropriate gear on.

Comment

i agree with most you need to replace the sprockets at the same time you replace the chain. and yeah i would go down 1 in the front and up 2 in the rear. i went down one in the front on my old zx6 and i notice a good difference from stock. i also noticed that my shift points were a little closer together but i found that with just going down one in the front it didnt have much of a change in my final drive.
                      The lord is the only passenger I ride with

Comment

thanx for the info guys.......Jae from Dayton,Oh..........2001suzuki katana 600

Comment

Working...
                        X