X

Sealant on tires for storage?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealant on tires for storage?

My buddies ZX6 was being stored at one of our local dealers over the winter, since he didnt have a garage. He said the price was reasonable, but didnt say how much though.. anywho..

When he picked up the bike, he said the shop technician told him to "quote be careful for the first 100 miles", he said OK, and left. 1 day later, he promptly took a corner while out riding and low sided. Causing damage to the clutch lever, handlebar, tank, plastic, shifter, peg, and both turn signals. He wasnt wearing any gear but his lid, so he's got all kinds of road rash too...but that's par for the course w/ him, he wouldnt wear if u paid him.

So he calls up the dealer to set up a time for an estimate, etc. They then told him, he says, that they sprayed the front and rear tires w/ a water proof sealant, to help keep the tires from cracking or dry rotting at all, over the winter months that it was stored. ? The bike was stored inside, in their separate garage. Not climate controlled though from what he said.

Is this common place to do for storage facilities? He says they never told him they were doing that, and consequently he wrecked.

Just curious if anybody else ever did this or heard of it b/4.

I don't know about what shops do, but all I did was get the wheels off the ground for the winter. I've never even read about putting a sealant on the tires for the few months the bike is off the road.
    Kyle

Comment

He has some leeway in this matter if there is nothing on paper. I have never heard of a shop taking things in their own hands without it being on paper, and if this is common place it should be writen not verbal. I would lose my arse and then some if I didn't put things on a Repair Order.
      TDA Racing/Motorsports
      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
      Who knows what is next?
      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Well yeah, I think he is going to talk to the shop manager and see if any legal recourse is in order. How that will pan it out is anybody's guess.

But I never heard of putting sealant on the tires when no one asked either, or even doing it at all. unless it was in the fine print in his receipt or something that he didnt read.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
          Well yeah, I think he is going to talk to the shop manager and see if any legal recourse is in order. How that will pan it out is anybody's guess.

But I never heard of putting sealant on the tires when no one asked either, or even doing it at all. unless it was in the fine print in his receipt or something that he didnt read.
          WELL YEAH, Let us know how it all pans out, there is definitely something not right there.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Never heard of anyone using sealant (think Amor-All) on motorcycle tires -- period. Especially professionals. Sounds fishy at best. Still, he was warned... and I can't say that it was definitively the sealant that caused him to lowside after not riding for months on end.

Confused...
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Never heard of anyone using sealant (think Amor-All) on motorcycle tires -- period. Especially professionals. Sounds fishy at best. Still, he was warned... and I can't say that it was definitively the sealant that caused him to lowside after not riding for months on end.

Confused...
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Thank you for having my back on the sealant issue. I have been waiting patiently for you reply on this topic.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              Who knows what is next?

Comment

1. I don't think there is really anything that will work.
                2. I have never heard of this at all, be it in a manual, magazine, online, nothing ever about sealing tires.
                I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                  Originally posted by The CyberPoet

Confused...
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Thank you for having my back on the sealant issue. I have been waiting patiently for you reply on this topic.
                  Dont worry CP, IM as confused as you on this.

I talked to him today, he says that another shop mechanic told him they never treat any tires on bike. So somebody is trying to weasel their way out something, or somebody is just plain ignorant as to what goes on in their own shop.

Thazkat.. u wait patiently to reply to EVERY topic

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed750
                    Thazkat.. u wait patiently to reply to EVERY topic
                    He must -- it's the only way I can see how he could have about 3 times the number of posts I do (thaz, you post whori).

So the next question is "What is it they put on the tires" (brand & info)? I'm going to guess either a spray silicone (just like the tires come from the factory with -- but the factory leaves it on there from the pressure molds used to make the tire, not as a protective barrier), or armor-all or some competitor (pretty tires! stupid riders!).

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

How good a friend is this of yours Matt??

I am not to sure his story is exactly what it seems.
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      Who knows what is next?

Comment

Working...
                      X