X

Tire Code to show date of making

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Code to show date of making

Im trying to buy a tire off of someone online and he's not sure, nor am I, of where the tire code is. He sent me this, DOT EB OY B6N348, is that the tire date code? would that make it 48th week of 1993?
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

D.O.T. Number
    The tire also contains a D.O.T. number. The last three digits show the year and week that the tire was manufactured. e.g., a tire stamped 324 means the tire was made in the 32nd week of 1994. Hopefully, it will not be too difficult to tell the difference in a tire made in 1984 from one made in 1994. Tires suffer from sunlight, ozone, and aging deterioration. You should choose the newer tire when the opportunity exists.

I'd say it's the 34th week of 1998 if I had to guess. If it's an '88 by chance, I wouldn't touch it.

Comment

This might help you out. Not sure if its the same for all makes.

Discover Metzeler's range of motorcycle tyres and read our insights to guide your choice. Find out more online!

Look towards the end of the page under other markings.

AHF beat me to it.
      - Sufyan.

Wearing helmets is NOT a civil rights issue - it is a safety issue, period!

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Re: Tire Code to show date of making

Originally posted by 89katana750
        Im trying to buy a tire off of someone online and he's not sure, nor am I, of where the tire code is. He sent me this, DOT EB OY B6N348, is that the tire date code? would that make it 48th week of 1993?
        What brand is it?

Normally the date code sits alone (not tagged with letters) and is three or four digits.

PS - if you're looking for cheap, cheap tires, I just listed a pair of Z4's on eBay as item #4536878668 (front 120-70/ZR17) & #4536879543 (rear 150-70ZR17) with starting bids of $5 front, $2.50 rear.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Sufyan
          This might help you out. Not sure if its the same for all makes.

Discover Metzeler's range of motorcycle tyres and read our insights to guide your choice. Find out more online!

Look towards the end of the page under other markings.

AHF beat me to it.

Comment

Thanks, that sure did clear up my understanding of the code! Poet I'll check those tires out on ebay. I know I can put the 120 in the front on pre 98's, but is that a good idea?
            1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by 89katana750
              Thanks, that sure did clear up my understanding of the code! Poet I'll check those tires out on ebay. I know I can put the 120 in the front on pre 98's, but is that a good idea?
              As long as you match the increase in width to a decrease in height (i.e. -- go from a 110/80 to a 120/70), and only go up one step (110 to 120) it's acceptible.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X