X

A test

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A test

Ok so before I get started just want to let you all know that this was a one time thing to test out my theory and it was all done safely 8) .
    Ok so I was riding to my house tonight at about midnight and I see a state trooper in front of me so I stay behind..Well eventually we get on the highway and he keeps increasing his speed so I figure that I can't get pulled over for speeding if I'm following an officer that's not running code , right?
    well about 8 miles in to it we hit a 100mph (in a 65mph) and I stayed about 150 feet from him , well then he decides to turn on his lights , switch lanes , and slams his breaks , Of course I do the same except for switching the lane. Next thing I see is him out the window screaming at me to slow down , not in very friendly words either . So I slow down he pulls over , end of story.
    So my test was right (I guess) because he didn't give me a ticket , but could he have?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

I believe he could have, in a way he paced you, using his speedometer to check your speed, many will argue about needing a radar gun to prove you were speeding but it would be his word against yours in a court of law.

But I'm not that well informed of the law.

One question for you, wtf would you do that?
    I don't know how fast my bike goes, I've never stopped to find out.

Comment

Just wanted to try it once . The highway was dead so I needed something to do. :-m
      Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Comment

Speeding

Originally posted by GSX1100FL
        I believe he could have, in a way he paced you, using his speedometer to check your speed, many will argue about needing a radar gun to prove you were speeding but it would be his word against yours in a court of law.

But I'm not that well informed of the law.

One question for you, wtf would you do that?
        Yup. What sucks is when it's your word against a cops, they win. I was pulled over a few years ago (actually I had been sitting at the light for a while) - a case of the cop getting the wrong car ... absolutely no question in my mind that I was NOT speeding. But they fined me anyway.
        Chris

The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority.
        Ralph W. Sockman

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1100FL

Up here cop cars have radar guns in the front window AND back window, so they can get you coming OR going.

Speeding it speeding. They'll nail you any chance they get.

Hell, they probably could've charged you for "impersenating police officer" since you were copying him!

Comment

i'm pretty sure in ohio, they can't pace you for more than a mile. and also, if its one persons word against another, then there is reasonable doubt and you should not get the ticket if you fight it. thats my two cents.
            if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

Thats kind of a sleezy move for a cop to be almost enticing you to speed. Some of them think they're above the law when they are the ones who enforce it. Very hypocritical if you ask me.

Comment

Yeah no doubt, he could have given you a ticket and justified it as pacing you..allbeit, its alittle unorthodox to try and egg you on, but still, his word against urs, w/ no witnesses, could have been costly.

Ive often thought of doing that same test, but never did for fear of a ticket.

Comment

escahoe
                  I'm guessing this was a Texas DPS officer?
                  He can and will ticket you.
                  You will not stand a chance in court.
                  The "law" has little to do with it.

Comment

Even if you use the "he egged me on" defense , that doesn't change the fact that you were still speeding . I believe that they can say they estimated your speed up to a certain point and still fine you for it . Crappy , but I think if you'd have gotten a ticket , you'da been screwed .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Here in Idaho atleast they have to be certified on a radar gun buy guessing your speed within three mph and then checking it with a radar gun. So legaly they do not even need a radar gun to write you a speeding ticket. I am prettty sure most states have somthing similar to that. Still BS that he was egging you on.

Comment

I absolutely enjoy my machine, and I wind her up every now and then, but I have to carry a CDL, and I do not need any points on my license, if I get caught, thats one thing, you are crazy! I bet he thought the same thing GX1100FL said, "wtf would you do that"
                        2000 Kat 600
                        "Fast Blue"
                        Pic in Profile

Comment

Dangerous game your playing there!

Technically if he felt like screwing with you he could write the ticket. His lights do not need to be on to be on a run, they should but that is going to be entirely dependant on the type of run (can't let the burglars hear 'em coming from 2 miles away ya know).

If you had to fight it you could probably get a good attorney to represent you and play the whole entrapment thing pulling logs and whatnot to see if he was actually on a run or just violating the law himself. As for clocking your speed, he doesn't need a radar to do that, he has his speedo and in any courtroom all he has to say is "In my professional trained opinion as a police officer I estimate that the speed was ....." That is good enough for just about any traffic judge in America.

Be glad you tried this with a cop that was in a decent mood.
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

That, and in cop cars, the speedo is calibrated, to give the correct speed at any speed.
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

In actuality, there is a good defense against nighttime pacing of a motorcyle. Since a motorcycle has one light, it is nearly impossible to judge it's distance at any given moment. You need two points to judge depth, and this can be proven. A lawyer might be required for this defense (or any defense for that matter) to be taken seriously, but it is plausible and, dare I say it, true!
                              '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Working...
                              X