A New Zealander's Impression of The Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Zealander's Impression of The Katana

This comes from the Kiwi Biker Forums... posted Jan 25,2005

Having done nearly 500kms on my "new" purchase, I'm feeling qualified to make a few observations about the "baboon-arsed banana".

The GSX600F, referred to by the motorcycle print media as the "Teapot", has been around since 1988, ostensibly as a competitor to the giant-slaying Honda CBR600. The GSX600F was never in the same sporting league as the CBR, being large and underpowered by comparison, though the stiff steel perimeter frame, and good quality suspension for a budget 600 model, meant it was never that far behind in the real world. 1997 saw the introduction of the GSX-R600, and the end of the sporting aspirations for the GSX-F.

The break from outright sporting pretensions allowed Suzuki to concentrate on developing a different personality for the GSX600F as a Sports-Touring model, complementing the GSX-R750's Sports-Touring partner, the GSX750F. In my hunt for a replacement for the beloved TRX850, I tried two GSX750F's: a '97 model, and a '98 model. The differences between the two were quite marked. The 750 lost 14HP between '97 and '98 form 106BHP (claimed) to 92BHP(claimed), and copped a complete style makeover into the bargain. The '98 gained smoothness, ride quality, improved styling, and the "Headlights of Doom". They look funny, but boy do they work! The 600 benefitted directly from this work, gaining the same running gear and a very similar style makeover. It also went from 80BHP(claimed) to 86BHP (claimed) - 6 short of the 750 while being 6kg lighter. I much prefer the styling of the later, more curvaceous GSX-F's, as compared to the "Buck-Rogers meets a Teapot and mates with it " looks of the earlier models.

1999 GSX600F Specs

Overall Length: 2,135 mm (84.1 in)
    Overall Width: 745 mm (29.3 in)
    Overall Height: 1,195 mm (47.0 in)
    Seat Height: 785 mm (30.9 in)
    Wheelbase: 1,470 mm (57.9 in)
    Dry weight: 202 kg (445.3 lbs)
    Engine type: Air/oil-cooled 599 cc inline-4, SACS, DOHC, TSCC, 16 valves. 86 hp (62.8 KW)/ 10,500 rpm, 58 Nm (5.9 kg-m)/ 9,500 rpm.

As you can see, it's no cutting edge sports 'bike.

Ride impression

1st comment: this bike needs new tyres! The currently fitted Metzler MEZ4s have been replaced by Metzler with the Z6, and the tyres on this bike show distinct signs of the 'bike's usage: Touring and weekend riding. The front is cupped on the right side indicating a lot of touring on straight-ish roads, and the rear is visibly squared. Now in my book, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, as the type of usage means that the bike has been used in a way that will prolong engine and gearbox life, rather than shortening it, as commuting and lots of short trips CAN do (not will but can possibly).

Why not demand that the previous owner replace them? Well, the purchase price is VERY fair for a five year old 'bike (first registerd 11/99) with a perfect service history and only one owner, and I picked it up Friday after an extensive service at the previous owner's cost, that included a new chain and valve adjustment. Plus I get to research the type of tyres that will suit my riding on this 'bike.

2nd comment: It is NO different to the '98 and later GSX750F. Suzuki obviously realised this (and judging by sales figures in NZ, BEFORE the general public did) and dropped the 600's BHP figure to 80(claimed). In the upper third of the rev range, the 600's top end is so similar to the 750 as to be indistinguishable. The '98 750 has more beef in the mid-range, but this can be countered on the 600 with a gear change or two down the box.

3rd comment: IT IS SOOOOOO NICE TO BE BACK WITH A SUZUKI GEARBOX. I'd forgotten how good they were until I tried these Suzukis out again. They are smoother going up the box in a clutchless fashion than the best shifts I could manage on the TRX using clutch, throttle, and gear shift, just "so".

4th comment: "You're leaning it waaaay over", said Mangell6 on my first decent ride on the 600. Unlike the TRX, angle of dangle isn't really apparent on the 600 in a way I can gauge accurately. I credit this mainly to a much lower CofG than the TRX. I was quite surprised to find I had used nearly ALL the rear tyre on my first decent ride, and 9/10ths of the front.

5th comment: Power delivery by faxed rubber band - The TRX had "go" instantly available at most road and engine speeds. I'd forgotten about making sure you were in the right gear on a medium capacity inline-4. Easily fixed - telegraph the engine room to go two gears lower please, number 1!

Summary

This 'bike enjoys a cult following in the US and Canada, and it's easy to see why. It handles well, it's comfortable (and less tiring to ride than the TRX), economical to purchase and run, and has a decidedly non-threatening character.

I'm enjoying the GSX600 immensely and the reservations about it's styling are diminishing with time and familiarity. Most of all, I'm looking forward to leveraging off it's increased versatility over the TRX, and doing a lot more touring while I have my greasy mitts on it.
    Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Sounds like another convert, nice read Beek.
    Kyle

Comment

Great stuff bro.
      Bike is sold

Comment

This 'bike enjoys a cult following in the US and Canada, and it's easy to see why
        boy if he only knew... Great find man !!

Comment

I like to see the good press. I take some flak from my SS bikes buddies, but when i pay lower insurance and ride 2x more comfortable I don't feel so bad.

Comment

Did anyone invite the author to join KR? Gotta pimp the site!
            The little boat drifted gently across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by The B00t
              Did anyone invite the author to join KR? Gotta pimp the site!
              That was my question too!
              Kan-O-Gixxer!
              -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
              -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
              -Ohlins Susupension
              -Various Other Mods

Comment

his name is Jim2 and he is a sheepshearer....do we want him?

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                  do they make solo cowls for sheep too?

Comment

Yeah, invite him, great read bro and send him over to the cult. lmao
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                    Who knows what is next?
                    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Great find...good read!!
                      Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Nice to be back to a Suzuki gear box? Wow... Suzuki trannies are about the worst I've ever experienced.

But, other than that, good review...
                        -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Range
                          Well, we all know YOU WANT him

Or should I say you want his animals
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Working...
                          X